Does oil brand matter if it meets specs, or your use?

So I've got a 660hp C63s, dudes in my car club have GTRs, Supras, 900hp M5s etc, and we all pretty much use the same group of 40w and 50w oils. All the cars get tracked. No oil caused failures at all.....even running oil temps at 270-290.......we all laugh because we basically try different oils for no reason. I think we switch because we get bored....honestly we all could run on Redline 5w40 and be fine!

Attachments

• 20231002_211423.jpg
    20231002_211423.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20231002_211409.jpg
    20231002_211409.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20231002_211353.jpg
    20231002_211353.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20231002_211333.jpg
    20231002_211333.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20231002_211323.jpg
    20231002_211323.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230606_185159.jpg
    20230606_185159.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Well, that's the key words, right? ... (if it meets specs for the use of the vehicle).
Most likely it doesn't matter. However, certain engine & usage may require something beyond the oil that just meets spec. There are unlimited variables. e.g., if 10 of you & your friends have the exact vehicle & engine/drivetrain, chances are that one or two of you may need a slightly different oil/add pkg or something. :unsure: While the rest of you motor on without issue.

Well, that's the key words, right? ... (if it meets specs for the use of the vehicle).
Most likely it doesn't matter. However, certain engine & usage may require something beyond the oil that just meets spec. There are unlimited variables. e.g., if 10 of you & your friends have the exact vehicle & engine/drivetrain, chances are that one or two of you may need a slightly different oil/add pkg or something. :unsure: While the rest of you motor on without issue.
We mainly go by oil temps on the track, and if you have a good oil cooler. The vette guys are always running hot, like almost 300F.....they run like redline and motul 50w. Rest of us a mix of 50s and 40s. I run 40s as my oil temps never get higher than 270

As long as it meets the specifications of the vehicle in question, and meets API scrutiny, IMO, it's fine.
At that point, it all comes down to the low bid.

Reactions: hrv
We mainly go by oil temps on the track, and if you have a good oil cooler. The vette guys are always running hot, like almost 300F.....they run like redline and motul 50w. Rest of us a mix of 50s and 40s. I run 40s as my oil temps never get higher than 270
On track I see 270 regularly and 280 at its highest in my Sportwagen...that's been with several 5W40 Euro oils (Liquimoly and HPL)....above that the coolant will start to go.

On track I see 270 regularly and 280 at its highest in my Sportwagen...that's been with several 5W40 Euro oils (Liquimoly and HPL)....above that the coolant will start to go.
Almost every oil I've tried runs about the same temps. Even the 40w and 50w are like within 3 degrees of each other. The redline 50w runs cooler for the vette guys running 300F temps, but once they get a better oil cooler, they run like all the other cars

Almost every oil I've tried runs about the same temps. Even the 40w and 50w are like within 3 degrees of each other. The redline 50w runs cooler for the vette guys running 300F temps, but once they get a better oil cooler, they run like all the other cars
Exactly - weight will impact it to some degree but brand...it doesn't really matter as much as folks want it to as in "Bro, I run XYZ and my oil temps are like 10 degrees cooler!!!".

I choose the oil with the best rebate available in Canada. For the last several years that has been Pennzoil with their $25 rebate for purchasing two 5 liter jugs. It just expired for 2023.
For track use, I'd say cost should be the least of someone's metrics for choosing an oil.

several of the cars in my care spec Dexos 1 now Gen3 oils and 2 seem to do better on low calcium oil content (the reason for some of the improvements in generations of Dexos 1 oils) so I look for my Dexos 1 oil to also have lower calcium listings...Mobil 1 is one of those oils and is my usual choice...

recently found that Quaker State Full Synthetic 5W-30 also has a low calcium listing and I was able to pick up several 5 quart jugs on sale of that at least for the cars that don't have that extra need (turbocharged GM cars)

Bill

For track use, I'd say cost should be the least of someone's metrics for choosing an oil.
Within the Pennzoil line you can go with with anything from a SP to a Porsche A40, up to 50 weight, to the full selection of Mercedes Benz approvals. If you can’t find it with Pennzoil, which for me is the lowest cost oil, that is just a hobbyist interest or dare I say anal retention.

Last edited:
Knowing nothing about it, I’ve seen where WRX guys suggest Rotella 15 and 5w40. Would those be viable options?
You mispelled "brotella"..hahahahaah. I'd stay far away...so many better approrpriate oils out there.

Within the Pennzoil line you can go with with anything from a SP to a Porsche A40, up to 50 weight, to the full selection of Mercedes Benz approvals. If you can’t find it with Pennzoil, which for me is the lowest cost oil, that is just a hobbyist interest or dare I say anal retention.
I don't disagree - again, there are other higher end oils that *may* provide more protection for this use case so considering them should be in someone's wheelhouse if they are beating their car on track. Penzoil is just fine I'm sure. I've used Liquimoly. Many use M1. Whatever makes people happy. Rebates...sure. My LM was always free through FCP.

I don't disagree - again, there are other higher end oils that *may* provide more protection for this use case so considering them should be in someone's wheelhouse if they are beating their car on track. Penzoil is just fine I'm sure. I've used Liquimoly. Many use M1. Whatever makes people happy. Rebates...sure. My LM was always free through FCP.
Well there you go. You chose the lowest priced option. :D

Back