Does Mobil 1 0w40 REALLY clean?

Pretty Snarky response from a guy who’s been a member on this forum for 10 days, When asking for assistance, it helps to be a little dutiful in your replies but to each his own….
To be fair, it wasn’t a very welcoming reply when accusing of him of being a troll for asking this question on a particular oil that has been touted multiple times on this forum as a good off the shelf “cleaning” oil. People just need to get their egos in check a bit more online, talk to them like they would in person. Imagine how much more constructive some of these posts could be?

To be fair, it wasn’t a very welcoming reply when accusing of him of being a troll for asking this question on a particular oil that has been touted multiple times on this forum as a good off the shelf “cleaning” oil. People just need to get their egos in check a bit more online, talk to them like they would in person. Imagine how much more constructive some of these posts could be?

When this forum was new, and there weren't a lot of 'experts' people could have a civilized conversation. Now there are a dozen or 20 really helpful experts on this site, and they know their stuff, and there are 437ish other 'experts' who know everything. And most of them have the personalities of hind end lint.

I'm thankful for the people who know their stuff, because they do help. The other 437ish know it alls, well, you take the good with the bad.

OP - I kept reading the same thing. 0-40 FS is great because it 'cleans'

I put some in about 1500-2000 miles ago. My oil filter doesn't look especially dirty (or dirty at all to tell the truth) so it's either not cleaning or the engine wasn't dirty to begin with.

If you think you have a problem, there is a product that has a pretty good track record and has plenty of data to back it up. It's a little expensive, but only you can make that call as to whether you need it or not.

I am looking for any sign of anything out of the ordinary in my filter. If I see ANY, I'll spend the hundred on the proven product. I get fuel dilution in my application, and I'm not trying to spend a hundred bucks 4 times a year on oil - i.e. I cannot run extended intervals to make using that product worth it.

There's so much gas in my oil that I don't see how it could be 'dirty' lol.

If so, does the latest spec (SP) still clean as well?
I’ve read a bunch of claims here stating it cleans out sludge and even varnish.
Any experience?
IIRC a few years back @Trav posted some pictures of Mobil 1 0W40 doing a very nice job cleaning up varnish. He put up a picture of a crankshaft and connecting rods showing it removing varnish, and how the oil pump pick up tube sheltered an area slowing down the cleaning a bit in the area behind the tube.

Is an oil's cleaning ability due to the base stock or the additive package? Both?
Both. Oils without ester content also clean well.
When I said “those” approvals, I said for a reason, as European approvals, especially MB, have strict minimum requirements in various performance's variables such as deposits, evaporation loss etc. M1 always used ester as addition to other base stocks. But you also have for example Group III oils that are approved by those manufacturers.

Is an oil's cleaning ability due to the base stock or the additive package? Both?
It has typically been the function of what we would consider a base stock (AN's and/or esters), but could be at levels that are considered additive. The additive package of course has to be designed to accommodate that.

The thread-starter provides an almost 2-1/2 year-old thread for proof. How many times has the 0w40 formula (both base oil and additives) changed since then?

No it doesn’t. My LG washer is much better.
LG, pshhhh. Speed Queen FTW ;)

1705738503971.gif

Well at SpeedDiagnostix it's got a value of 35 in oxidation but 12.92 CT so it's barely a 40 wt. I believe it's got a ton of calcium.

That's the old version. New SP one is entirely different chemistry. The Triple Action stuff is a deviation from normal type formulations from what I've read.

I'd say if they're using AN's it can clean/keep clean well.

Last edited:
Back