Does Mercedes use break-in oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a 2014 E550 4MATIC and was told by the service manager at the Benz dealer that I should NOT change my oil before 5-6k because the factory fill includes some form of break-in oil and doing so prematurely will eventually result in excess consumption. Personally, I don't think he knows what he is talking about. However, if there is any possibility that this could be accurate, I would certainly like to know. Does anyone here know for a fact whether or not Mercedes uses "break-in" oil?

Most Mercedes NON-AMG models come with a Shell 5W30 product, which is postulated by some here to be fortified to deal with break-in. So, there is truth to what your service manager is saying.

Just to make you feel better about it, my car did a full 13k (20,000 km) on it's break-in oil, and every subsequent oil change that I've done with M1 0W40 also happened at 13k intervals or 1 year (I usually do just about 13k per year give or take).

I'm now at 100,000 km (62.5k miles) and I can tell you that I'm still surprised every time I pull the dipstick on this car. The level absolutely does not move during OCI's. I usually check near the 10k mark of my 13k OCI, and the oil level is still full. So if that's any anecdotal evidence for you, I hope it helps!

Congrats on the new ride. Nice car btw!

Hi,
BerndV - In the distant past Daimler-Benz at Sindelfingen and other locations used a number of different lubricant suppliers for FF purposes. These were specified lubricants and the "mix" of suppliers ensured that there weren't any delays during assembly that were caused through third party supply issues/delays

BerndV -

My answer would be identical to il_signore97.

I'd probably go the full service interval on factory fill or at least 3/4 of it. One of my cars went 13,000 on factory fill, though that was before the new direct injected engines like yours.

Mercedes even gives a spec number for the break in oil (in non-AMGs) if you dig enough for it. The only one I saw listed was the Shell product.

Last edited:
^ The OP's car is an E550 with the V8. Is the V8 now direct injected also? It was my understanding that just the 3.5L V6 and 4-cylinders were direct injected as of present. I could be wrong though...

Originally Posted By: il_signore97
^ The OP's car is an E550 with the V8. Is the V8 now direct injected also?

Yes, it's a biturbo DI engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back