Does GC really exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've looked all over Central Indiana and all the Castrols Syntecs I find say:
"Made in USA from imported and domestic components. Not for distribution outside the Americas."

It exists. I've not only seen it with my own eyes, I've bought it with my own money, and I've used it in my own engine.
grin.gif

They have it at the AutoZone by my house, but as stated above, it is mixed with the USA made(not A3/B3 B4) 0-W30

What's GC?
dunno.gif

I have to admit to shuffleing the yellow ones to the front of the shelf to expedite the 'Zoners ordering more GC.
tongue.gif

james1:
THANKS!!!!!!!!
Both my daughters work in Carmel so I'll stop by.
It would make sense that AutoZone would have the "good stuff" up there - - where all the BMWs and Mercs are!

So most 0w30 Syntec users who buy at Autozone could be running any mixture of (PAO) GC and "regular" (Group III) Syntec in their crankcases?

Not making any judgments as to quality of Group III vs. PAO, or even the advisability of mixing, but this kind of variance in a product is mildly distressing.

Or is GC Group III too?

M

quote:

Originally posted by MikeR:
So most 0w30 Syntec users who buy at Autozone could be running any mixture of (PAO) GC and "regular" (Group III) Syntec in their crankcases?

M

Going by what is stated on this board GC is a Group V. I do have to wonder if an unsuspecting consumer has mixed the two up. I would think that with one look at the German made stuff they would think something is fishy. It has a green to it almost like antifreeze. Anyone who would spend the money on syntech prolly pays a bit of attention to their oil and would notice the color.

Wonder if Autozone has had some returned due to the color?

I have used the German Castrol and it ran really good in my car. But I have become very tired of looking for it. I don't think it is worth it to drive all over the place (especially with the cost of gasoline right now) trying to find the German Castrol.

Easy enough to find Mobil 1 at the local Wal-Mart, or Pennzoil synthetic. The heck with allowing some company to force me to drive all over trying to find their motor oils. I doubt if German Castrol is such an elixar that it warrants all of that. If they don't want to make it available to the public then they can keep the stuff.

The REALLY disturbing part is that Autozone gets the same amount of money for the group III and the Group V! They have the same UPC symbol!

1) Is there any of the old Group III USA-made 0W-30 with the new "Outperforms" logo on the front? If not, maybe GC will be with us for a while. (Out here all the new "Outperform" bottles contain German-made oil)

B) What ever happened to the lab analysis (gas chromatography) that someone volunteered to perform?

quote:

Originally posted by MikeR:
Is the "Made in .... " on the back of the bottle the only indicator that it's GC?

M

The "Made in Germany" on the back label is the only definitive way to distinguish GC from domestic made Syntec 0w30.

quote:

Originally posted by 2004_STI:
0w-30 will clearly say "Made In Germany"

Not so fast. . . In the twisted way Castrol works, it sells BOTH USA made and true German made "Syntec" in the 0w-30 grade. You will find them mixed randomly on store shelves. You've got to check each bottle carefully. The mix was nearly 50-50 in the Pensacola store where I found it. The front of the GC bottle lacks the yellow highlights of the USA made 0w-30, and looks like this:

-

On the back is where you will find the critical language "Made in Germany". Look under the "SAE OW-30" block on the right side of the label. USA made bottles look similar so be careful. Here is what the true GC looks like on the back:

-

So yes, it really does exist. As when crossing a railroad, you have to look and be careful.
wink.gif

[ May 11, 2004, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: ekpolk ]

Thanks for the detail info!
I will inspect more closely next time - did not realize there could be mixed stock on the shelves.

It would make sense that AutoZone would have the "good stuff" up there - - where all the BMWs and Mercs are!

I don't know if my lowly Ford's will know what to do with it. It's funny because the day I bought some I was driving my Explorer and the guy saw me pull up. When he was ringing me up he told me that 0W oil was way too thin for my truck. I don't plan on running it in that vehicle, but when I mentioned it called for 5W-20 he said it was still too thin
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by quadrun1:

B) What ever happened to the lab analysis (gas chromatography) that someone volunteered to perform?

That was a friend of Asmodeus who was supposedly going to do the test when the machine at his work was once again operational. I guess that's not going to happen now though, that was months ago.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back