Does GC really exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found and purchased at Autozone Carmel Indiana, thanks to the helpers at BITOG.
Yes it really does exist!!!!

Darn it! and i thought it was all just a big made up story told by older BITOG members
dunno.gif

Kidding aside, I actually bought a few quarts at an Autozone too, just to say I have some too!
cool.gif
Actually planning on using it when cool weather comes back....

I found and purchased 6 more quarts in Champaign Illinois this morning at the same Autozone that had it before. There may have been even more on the shelf but I didn't feel like digging through all the dusty bottles of US Syntec in the front. I'll check back in a couple of weeks. If I find 6 more quarts I'll be good until next year...

What is the longevity of this stuff? in case I want to buy a lot and keep for the future in case Castrol decides to pull it off the shelves?

quote:

Originally posted by cweed:
What is the longevity of this stuff? in case I want to buy a lot and keep for the future in case Castrol decides to pull it off the shelves?

We've had this discussion before and the consensus is if it's kept in sealed bottles it'll last years...

quote:

Originally posted by cweed:
Excellent! Patman, time to stock up
tongue.gif

Yep, I've got just under 60L, and plan on buying one or two bottles every week (so I can sneak them in a little at a time without the wife raising an eyebrow) until my oil shrine is full.
smile.gif

I'm worried about what happens when the API SM comes out. Will this oil still be supplied from Germany? Will it have a weaker additive pack? Who knows, but all I know is the stuff I've got now works awesome, so I'd like to make sure I've got a big supply.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Yep, I've got just under 60L, and plan on buying one or two bottles every week (so I can sneak them in a little at a time without the wife raising an eyebrow) until my oil shrine is full.
smile.gif

shocked.gif
shocked.gif
Either you're worried about high oil prices, or you're addicted !
grin.gif

Nice! If Castrol ever stops importing it we'll all ask you to share your stash
grin.gif

Headlines

The 1999 Corvette stolen last week was found today in a east side parking lot . The owner was reported to say :

I had just changed the oil and used the last 7 quarts of the German made Castrol 0w-30 known to exist. I want to thank the thieves for leaving my car undamaged and leaving a note saying to NOT start the engine because the oil had been drained . I think that was certainly thoughtfull of them and believe I had been cased out for months and was seen changing my oil the same day my car was stolen .

When the president of the German Castrol Fan Club was contacted he was quick to warn of Ebay scams and pristine bottles of the reknowned German Castrol selling with a variety of unknown oils in place of the original green Gummy Bear Nectar that has been traced back to the time of the Continent of Atlantis .

He furtherd to look closely at any digital pictures available that would show signs that a wrench had been used to open the hex head bottle cap and that was a sure sign the oil was a fraud .

Hey!

I just picked up my first batch of GC, as a matter of fact, my first ever batch of synthetic oil!
grin.gif
I just went to AutoZone and every Castrol Syntec 0w-30 they had were all GC!
grin.gif
grin.gif

I noticed all those claims on that bottle in that photo are now absent from the most current packaging but my bottles are clearly marked Made in Germany. That indication can now be found under the Castrol logo on the back of the bottle. I'll try to post some photos, don't know how I can get them hosted online. I really wonder why all the sudden all the "outperforms others" and other claims are now absent? A new claim is now prominent across the front of the bottle : "Protects in ways other oils can't". Any way, thought I would let all of you know.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:

quote:

Originally posted by 2004_STI:
0w-30 will clearly say "Made In Germany"

Not so fast. . . In the twisted way Castrol works, it sells BOTH USA made and true German made "Syntec" in the 0w-30 grade. You will find them mixed randomly on store shelves. You've got to check each bottle carefully. The mix was nearly 50-50 in the Pensacola store where I found it. The front of the GC bottle lacks the yellow highlights of the USA made 0w-30, and looks like this:

-

On the back is where you will find the critical language "Made in Germany". Look under the "SAE OW-30" block on the right side of the label. USA made bottles look similar so be careful. Here is what the true GC looks like on the back:

-

So yes, it really does exist. As when crossing a railroad, you have to look and be careful.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by windcatcher:
I see no star burst symbol What does this mean mike

I could be wrong, but I believe that means that while the oil IS API licensed (donut), it does not meet the "energy conserving" specification.

I find this most interesting. I'm about 1,500 miles into my first run of GC, and after some initial roughness, which has gone away, the only remaining difference (compared to previous Amsoil) is a loss of 2-3 mpg. . . I know the Amsoil doesn't have the starburst either, but it did seem to do very well as to mileage.

When I dumped the M1 0w-40 at 4k miles I was averaging 23.7 mpg. I had noticed a rougher hot idle so I decided to try the GC. Right away my average dropped to 23.3 mpg. After 2500 miles my average is now 22.8 mpg. But, I do think that some of the decline is because I tend to rev the engine more. My 2.8 v6 really runs smooth with GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back