Does filter thread have to match exactly?

My RV has a Cummins 6.7L engine. When I di research on the oil filter it states Fleetguard LF3970 and the thread is 1-1/8 16. I’d like to upgrade the filter with either a Donaldson blue or Fleetguard venturi. Now when I search for a Cummins 6.7L oil filter MOST come up for the “truck” models not RV and these have threads of 1 16. Not 1-1/8 16.

im just wondering if a 1 16 thread would fit on my RV that calls for a 1-1/8 16? Seems no place has the info and multiple places say they can or cannot be interchanged haha. Thanks all

Oil filters do not seal on the threads, like a NPT thread does. The threads are utilized to provide torque to seal against the rubber gasket on the filter itself to the flange. That being said, they have to match. They're called "spin on filters" for a reason.

There should be zero resistance in the threads until the rubber meets the sealing flange. Nor should they be so loose they rattle around. The numbers have to match.... Not mix and match, like women's shorts and tops.

im just wondering if a 1 16 thread would fit on my RV that calls for a 1-1/8 16?
1 inch diameter and 1-1/8 inch diameter are different, so no way they are interchangeable. You can't thread a 1-1/8 inch nut (the filter) on a 1 inch bolt (the filter mount).

Just buy oil filters that have the same thread as what your RV has.

You're covered.
Your filter crosses with the WIX 57182; note the thread size.
The filter look-up at www.wixfilters.com is good to use.
Go "big picture" first by looking up interchangeable filters. Sweat the details later.

Product Specifications
Part Number: 57182
UPC Number: 765809571822
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube/Hydraulic
Type: Full Flow
Media: Enhanced Cellulose
Height: 6.94(176)*
Outer Diameter Top: 3.67(93)*
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed:
Thread Size: 1 1/8-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Beta Ratio: 2/75=10/30
Burst Pressure-PSI: 300
Max Flow Rate: 18 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 10
( )* denotes metric
Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D.
Attached 2.829 (72)* 2.459 (62)* 0.235 (6)*
Principle Application:
Principle Application: Apache, Case, Cummins B Series Engines, Freightliner, Komatsu, Other

Last edited:
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a new winner!
A "winner"???? Of what?????
The OP registered in mid-2008, and has posted his first thread in more than 13 years !!!!!
That's the record for restraint.

As for the thread topic ...
No - do not mix thread types.
There might be a teeny bit of engagement such that the filter may hold on there while sitting still with engine not running, but there won't be enough thread engagement for good torque retention while in operation. The filter would be at great risk of falling off.

Get the right filter for the job.

The OP registered in mid-2008, and has posted his first thread in more than 13 years !!!!!

There might be a teeny bit of engagement such that the filter may hold on there while sitting still with engine not running, but there won't be enough thread engagement for good torque retention while in operation. The filter would be at great risk of falling off.

Not going to work.

Strange to me though that your 6.7 in your rv would have a different thread than whats on the trucks.
I 100% agree but alas it is. Guessing it’s the freightliner chassis that they made the change? Thanks for response

Your question doesn't make sense to me? If the threads don't match, why would you even think of using it?
Because across multiple sites ive seen when researching some folks have mentioned filters made for Cummins 6.7L on a truck. I didn’t not see how this was possible because of the slight thread difference, even if everything else is exactly the same, so I thought I’d just make a post asking the experts.

You're covered.
Your filter crosses with the WIX 57182; note the thread size.
The filter look-up at www.wixfilters.com is good to use.
Go "big picture" first by looking up interchangeable filters. Sweat the details later.

Product Specifications
UPC Number: 765809571822
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube/Hydraulic
Type: Full Flow
Media: Enhanced Cellulose
Height: 6.94(176)*
Outer Diameter Top: 3.67(93)*
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed:
Thread Size: 1 1/8-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Beta Ratio: 2/75=10/30
Burst Pressure-PSI: 300
Max Flow Rate: 18 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 10
( )* denotes metric
Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D.
Attached 2.829 (72)* 2.459 (62)* 0.235 (6)*
Principle Application:
Principle Application: Apache, Case, Cummins B Series Engines, Freightliner, Komatsu, Other

Thanks Kira

LOL I learned a lot about oil from this site and still read threads all the time, just never Posted questions because I found my answers in the search menu. Yes I realize now there is a reason why I didn’t find this answer in the search menu lolol.

thanks for the info

So I did a cross search for the recommended LF3970 filter and below is what I got. Anyone suggest any of these filters over the LF3970 Stratapore filter? I was kinda hoping for a Donaldson Blue or even Fleetguard Venturi but can’t find any on the list.​

Yet another “probably stupid question”. But can I use a larger over all filter if say the threads are a match? I found a Donaldson Blue that seems much better filtration than the LF3970 with the same thread but diameter and such are slightly differen.

So I did a cross search for the recommended LF3970 filter and below is what I got. Anyone suggest any of these filters over the LF3970 Stratapore filter? I was kinda hoping for a Donaldson Blue or even Fleetguard Venturi but can’t find any on the list.​

Yet another “probably stupid question”. But can I use a larger over all filter if say the threads are a match? I found a Donaldson Blue that seems much better filtration than the LF3970 with the same thread but diameter and such are slightly differen.
If the threads and the gasket match, you're really only limited by space.

Not only do the threads have to match, but the gasket diameter must match as well. as @RooflessVW noted.

From Donaldson, the attributes of the "cheap" (cellulose) replacement are:
Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 1.04.34 PM.jpg

Which is the P550428

However, they also make a Synteq media version, the P551019:
Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 1.06.08 PM.jpg

Note the 99% efficiency at 15 microns. That's the filter I would run.

Back