Does Caffeine bother you?

I love caffeine.
and its good for you, coffee or tea.
I only drink it in the morning though. We grind our own. I buy our whole beans from a company in Florida called Gold Coffee Company. I used to buy it in Costco but they stopped carrying it, now we order 6 - 2lb bags direct with free ship.
This is what we drink =

As I got older (mid 40's) I started to cut back and now in my 50's limit myself to no more than 2 - 24oz travel mugs a day and try to keep it to 1. I was having dehydration issues (lots of joint pain, headaches etc) from all the coffee and diet coke I was drinking. I've never liked sugary sodas but now also limit any caffeine diet sodas to one a day. The end result, I lost weight, no more dehydration issues, and I feel better. My older sister, can't function without 6 red bulls a day, and seems healthier than me so......guess it depends!

I can’t do without it or I start having withdrawals. It doesn’t bother me unless I don’t get any. I know it’s bad but I can’t help it. I typically drink 2-3 sodas a day and on work days it’s 2-3 sodas and a yeti cup full of coffee at work in the morning time. I’ve gotten used to it now so I have to have it. I would prefer sweet tea over soda but nobody has any good sweet tea except Milos from the store. We make tea at home but it’s unsweet because that’s the only thing dad will drink so I can’t drink it because it doesn’t taste the same when you add sugar after it’s brewed. Really I only drink tea and coffee I’ll get water with lemon at a restaurant but after that we go straight to the gas station and get our free sodas. That’s actually where we are heading now. And I don’t mean light soda like Sprite or Sierra Mist like i would drink as a kid I mean like Mtn Dew, Mello Yello, etc the most unhealthy ones because they are the best ones.
Why not make sweet tea the way you like it, even if it's just for you?

Why not make sweet tea the way you like it, even if it's just for you?
I would have to buy another tea jug for the tea maker and just label it as sweet and I am not home enough to drink it in a good time so it would just go bad. Same with the milk I like it always goes bad so I’d rather not have it then waste it.

My older sister, can't function without 6 red bulls a day, and seems healthier than me so......guess it depends!
For many people that would be a health disaster waiting to happen if she is drinking regular Red Bull. 6 Regular Red Bulls daily is equal to over 38 teaspoons of sugar a day (over 600% more than recommended) alone never mind the added sugar of anything else she eats.

Sugar is not too bad if you burn it off immediately. As a professional cyclist or triathlete you could get away with this (and much more). With a sedentardy lifestyle that is more unlikely.

Sugar is not too bad if you burn it off immediately. As a professional cyclist or triathlete you could get away with this (and much more). With a sedentardy lifestyle that is more unlikely.
IN the USA we have an epidemic of bad right now and getting worse as much as one would think impossible because it is so bad.

73% of the USA population is overweight

Coffee makes you regular for sure
This is just one more reason that I drink it. Not only do l love coffee but it helps me feel lighter in my feet & throughout the day. You must cleanse :poop: people. It’s no good to keep that inside of your body. I know, I know, TMI.;)

IN the USA we have an epidemic of bad right now and getting worse as much as one would think impossible because it is so bad.

73% of the USA population is overweight
It is just that you see often certain foods being demonized that is ticking me off. Remember the egg cholesterole scare? Turns out food cholesterole in healthy individuals does not influence blood cholesterol much, and that eggs are actually very nutritious and healthy. Then it was carbs and sugar that were (and still are) the villains. And certain types of sugar: apparently fructose is just as bad as alcohol for the liver (hint: it's not, if consumed in moderation and together with fiber - as in fruits...). Then it was wheat and gluten (hint: almost nobody is gluten-intolerant. If some people feel better when skipping whead products, it' often that the bread was not prepared properly - not giving the dough enough time for all the enzymes to do their magic). And now it's meat. And tomorrow it will be something else.
Paracelsus' old dictum still holds true: everything is poison, only the dose makes something not a poison. And sometimes the toxicity threshold can be altered by the way of processing/preparing the food.
I think we all agree that the average Westerner (not even US american - we have a similar obesity epidemic rolling through Europe, you are just a little bit ahead of us.) consumes to much calories, eats way to much sugar, not enough vegetables and moves way to little. The key words are on average.

A piece of cake every saturday afternoon while visiting grandma has never killed anyone. Stuffing the sugar of ten pieces of cake in your face every single day has a high chance of messing with your insuline and satiety hormone levels, increase your chance of becoming overweight and increase your chance of becomning a diabetic. That is for the average person. But if you happen not to be a desk jockey, but to ride the tour de France, the same amount of sugar in sports drinks and gel packs will be the least of your problems.

Nutritional reqirements are tied to activity levels. Personal anecdote: At my old job, my "small" lunch (as I did not want to overfeed to become lethargic in the afternoon...) consumed during lunch break alone would exceed the total daily calories of some of my coworkers. I would keep a stash of snacks at my desk - nuts, fruits but also cookies. My total calory intake would be more than double of theirs. Yet I kept my weight and they got fatter; some of them were on medications despite being a decade younger, while my blood work always came back excellent.
Now that I no longer commute by bike, I saw my blood cholesterole and triglycerides rise from perfect to slightly elevated at the last check-up. This means that with reduced exercise, I can no longer get away with my lax approach to sweets and total calories and I need to change things up. Nothing to acutely worry about, but if I let this continue, this will become a problem in ten or 15 years, so I better draw my consequences and take action: Less sweets for me, and exercise more to compensate for the lack of bike commute.

In this particluar regard, that sparked ur sub-conversation on sugar, we only know that the sister of one of the posters consumes a lot of sugar. We know nothing else about her. She might be totally fine (especially given the fact that women seem to be able to tolerate higher sugar consumption and much higher bodyfat percentages then men before developing metabolic syndrome). Perhaps she's a competetive endurance athlete? Perhaps she's working a physically extremely demanding job - wildland firefighter or whatever - and in addition works out a lot. Then all that sugar is simply clean burning fuel. But if she lives the typical sedentary western lifestyle, then the same sugar consumption could certainly be classified as very unhealthy. If - then. We do not know!

Last edited:
Cut back to one cup I know it's a bit big but it's a start don't you judge.
20230126_053200.jpg

In this particluar regard, that sparked ur sub-conversation on sugar, we only know that the sister of one of the posters consumes a lot of sugar. We know nothing else about her. She might be totally fine (especially given the fact that women seem to be able to tolerate higher sugar consumption and much higher bodyfat percentages then men before developing metabolic syndrome). Perhaps she's a competetive endurance athlete? Perhaps she's working a physically extremely demanding job - wildland firefighter or whatever - and in addition works out a lot. Then all that sugar is simply clean burning fuel. But if she lives the typical sedentary western lifestyle, then the same sugar consumption could certainly be classified as very unhealthy. If - then. We do not know!
Good post, you are correct, we know nothing about her but is she drinks sugar Red Bulls, 6 a day, we are talking 38 teaspoons a day of sugar plus everything else she is consuming but yes, maybe she is the rare exception to the people buying 32 oz sodas in gas stations here in the USA. I do agree about excesses too.
My son works for BMW here, he actually did a vacation trip to Germany and toured the plant there.

For me and my lifestyle I do listen to and read books from cardiologists and nutrition people. As mentioned I am trying to beat my family history which has been working out pretty ok for me. I also try to teach my kids. I have done away with a lot of unhealthy things in my diet and I actually enjoy doing it. It's become a hobby. It is true that things in moderation are ok, to some degree I do that but it's known that sugars and bleached flour products do affect many organs in your body and veins/arteries. Also known are high fat foods and meats. Im really careful now, many of my meals are now fish, lean poultry and yes even lean hamburger once in a while, the chop meat I use is 96% lean. If I want to live longer than the short lives of males in my family I must do this and enjoy it. Maybe that is the key, it's one of life's enjoyments to me.
AS a reward I do have one weekend night a week where I can have anything I want but even then sometimes I feel almost sick if it's too fatty because I am not used to it.
Here are my lipids, I can actually do better, you will see a slight uptrend, got maybe a little careless but not so much that other family members still dont think I am not crazy (LOL) This is the gods honest truth, my cardiologist told me that everyone needs SOME cholesterol *LOL* your blood cells and brains most of all.

Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 9.31.01 AM.png

Back