Does anyone use single grade

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the last couple of years I started using single grade engine oils during the spring, summer and early fall months.
Because of the cold Canadian winters, I use synthetic or group III 0W30, 0W40 or 5W40s for cold start lubricant performance.
HDMO 15W40s and about a case a year of HDMO 10W30 are about the only dino multi grades I still use quite a bit of and are usually in vehicles that only see occasional use, or may be pressed into use at any time of the year.
Last month I put 4000 miles on my Windstar van ( 95 3.8 120,000 miles)with SAE 40 in the crank case.
I'll run that oil for another month or 6 weeks and change it at around 6000 miles, likely to 5W40.
I have absolutly zero consumption between changes so I'm not worried about the high ash HDMOs hurting the cat-con.
Previous to switching to xxW40s and single grades, the vehicle used about a litre of oil every 3500 miles, more in the hot months with 5W30 group II PCMOs, not brand specific.
I have aproximatly 10 vehicles 94-2003, not all mine, but maintained by moi, with similar findings.
Zero oil consumption must mean longer cat-con life.
The more viscous lubricants may hurt at the pumps a little, but drivers have more of an influence on economy than engine oils ever will.
The use of VI improvers are a way down in my shop.
My question is, does anyone else use single grade motor oils as opposed to multi-grades in warm climates or during the summer months?

I've never even seen single grade oils sold up here, other than cheap lawnmower type stuff at Canadian Tire.

I am now . 30W Coastal. I bought it to use in my son's truck after his intake manifold leaked coolant into the crankcase.. GMC 2.8L V6.

I am using AutoRX. Finished my first application, then changed to Pennzoil 10W30 dino. My oil leaks a lot. The illustrious state of Illinois refused to test me for emissions because it was smoking off my exhaust
mad.gif
. I replaced my valve cover gaskets, and noticed also my pan gasket leaks. It is protruding out all around.

Down there, I stuffed rags up around it, cleaned everything off well, lowered my oil level to the fill line, and went and passed the test.

Now I am using that inexpensive 30W oil to top off and am keeping it running at the fill line. My oil usage and smoking is way down.
I will replace the pan gasket when I can.. probably in October.. do my second AutoRX run and get back to normal -- Mobil 1, which I normally use in it; or Schaeffers, which I have in one of the others.

89 Ford, 5.0L, 133k miles

userfriendly,

The concern is that when your air temperatures are 10°, or 20°, or even 30°, the straight 30 or straight 40 does not flow and lube your engine as well as a 10W-30 or 10W-40. For starting and short, cool trips, I prefer the 10W.

The ash content doesn't damage the catcons like the phosphorus from the zinc phosphorus anti-wear compounds does.

Are they getting those terrible wildfires around Kamloops under control?

Ken

[ August 12, 2003, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

quote:

Originally posted by userfriendly:
In the last couple of years I started using single grade engine oils during the spring, summer and early fall months.......

.......I have aproximatly 10 vehicles 94-2003, not all mine, but maintained by moi, with similar findings.........

My question is, does anyone else use single grade motor oils as opposed to multi-grades in warm climates or during the summer months?

I use single grades. Mostly, in racing and extreme gridlock conditions in extreme heat.

As a teenager, I raced air-cooled OHC 4-cylinder, 4-stroke bikes. In really hot days, at 10,000+ rpm operation, multi-grade oil could not maintain oil pressure. So, I used Castrol HD-30.

At some point in time, I found myself driving 4-wheel drive SUV types, like Ford Bronco 351 v-8, mostly on the beach in Summer. Again, Castrol HD-30 was the best....sometimes, I'd use Castrol HD-40.

Now, most of the time, I drive a Suzuki Sidekick. I have Castrol GTX 10w-40 in it right now. But I do not get stuck in bad traffic so often these days....I get to pick and choose when I want to drive. But if I had to drive day in and day out in horrendous gridlock in hellish heat (100 F), I would go back to HD-30 single grade in a heartbeat.

My friend has a 91 RS Camaro,305,5-SPEED,160K miles and has been using Havoline 30 weight in it since his first oil change.Doesnt smoke,clatter or burn any oil!
worshippy.gif

Ken from Washinton St.;
I live in a rural area North East of Kamloops and was evacuated for about a week due to the fires.
My situation was that I arrived in town in the evening after a railroad trip to find the city in 2 block visibility and the road home blocked by extra police brought in from around the province.
I was able to sneak around them through logging roads, got home, and quickly packed my photo albums and a few heirloom things.
The effect of high winds on pine forests that have been dried by 6 weeks of 100F heatis a disaster waiting to happen.
In some locations the fire was travelling at 17 meters per second, tracked by satelite.
You know, we watch disasters on TV all the time. Wars in other countries, hijacked commercial aircraft flying into cities and thank God they are happening somewhere else.
We in Kamloops got off easy in comparson to other cities around the world.
The poor bears and other critters, who can help them?

I used Quaker State straight 30W is a '91 Ford Explorer. I bought the car used with 71K and retired the car with 187K (117K miles on QS 30W)due to transmission and body problems. Engine was beginning to use one-half quart between 3K oil changes at 187K. I live in a relatively warm climate, low 32 degrees, high 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back