Dodge Dart SE or Chevy Cruze LT1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

ITboy is just on a rampage to convince us all that Ford is the only good car in the world and he is the smartest because he can cleverly say he wasn't "duped'...

Nope, sorry you're wrong. GM makes good cars too. As does quite a lot of other companies. I'll repeat it again for you: If you want an above average American vehicle buy a GM. If you want an average American vehicle buy a Ford. If you want a Pile Of Garbage buy a Moapr . That is not me talking - that is the word of just about every long term dependability survey of the past 10 or so years.

There are some Fords I'd not touch - the DCT Focus is one of them. [censored] were they thinking with that one? 6.0/6.4 PowerJoke is another. Ford screwed that up big time and gave Dodge an in with their 25/3500 trucks.

But then again I don't discount nearly every long term reliability survey that says Chrysler/Fiat vehicles are at the bottom of the barrel in long term dependability. The theories I've heard by people for excusing the survey results are hilarious and really grasping at straws.

It's awesome that a few people here have had good luck with their Mopars. But that does not reflect the vast majority of owners.

This sums it up right here from an earlier poster:
Quote:
I just checked CR and the Dart is rated significantly worse for reliability than the Cruze. The Cruze is 26% worse than average and the Dart is 80% worse than average.

Ouch - this is from a company "that cares about cars"? Seriously? Thats a steaming pile of horse poop no matter how you slice it. There is a reason Sergio is breaking up FCA and begging for someone to merge with....

Unfortunately I'm not a member of TrueDelta (nor do I necessarily support his methodology) so cannot see all the results, just bits and pieces.

But with the exception of 2014, the Charger needs to go to the shop more than the Fusion. That year the Fusion goes in more.

I'd also compare with other Full Size vehicles, such as the Taurus, Avalon, Impala, etc.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Unfortunately I'm not a member of TrueDelta (nor do I necessarily support his methodology) so cannot see all the results, just bits and pieces.

But with the exception of 2014, the Charger needs to go to the shop more than the Fusion. That year the Fusion goes in more.

I'd also compare with other Full Size vehicles, such as the Taurus, Avalon, Impala, etc.

Since you can't see the results:

Year - Charger/Fusion
2014 - 22/24
2013 - 48/46
2012 - 44/29
2011 - 43/34
2010 - 36/47
2009 - N/A
2008 - 76/39
2007 - 37/41
2006 - 72/62

Average: 47/40

Pretty comparable.

Impala does worse:
http://www.truedelta.com/Dodge-Charger/reliability-76/vs-Impala-53

Year - Charger/Impala
2014 - 22/41
2013 - N/A
2012 - N/A
2011 - N/A
2010 - N/A
2009 - N/A
2008 - 76/71
2007 - 37/114
2006 - 72/52

Average: 52/70

Taurus:
http://www.truedelta.com/Dodge-Charger/reliability-76/vs-Taurus-94

Year - Charger/Taurus:
2014 - 22/74
2013 - 48/31
2012 - 44/72
2011 - 43/25
2010 - 36/49
2009 - N/A
2008 - 76/65

Average: 45/53

I've had excellent service out of every Chrysler car or truck I have ever owned. The 1999 Jeep I have has been in the family since new, and I just sold my Challenge to my son with only one problem (a/c fresh/recirc air flap stuck in fresh position). I could have left it alone, but the car didn't cool down quick in the hot summer days. It is black, so that didn't help either as that car soaked up some heat parked in the sun. My son has the 2010 Challenger now, and no problems so far. All that being said, I prefer a simpler car without memory seats, touch screen, etc. so I'm less likely to have a problem anyways.

Cruze...just love your 1.4...
smile.gif

Just wanted to say I was in our dart for 13 hours yesterday had no issues and a huge factor you may consider is seat comfort the dart is the first car I've driven on a long drive and was still comfortable. I could have driven farther if our destination was farther away. Every other car I've owned even the 14 focus my ear was on my shoulder after 5 hours or so. The dart is definitely comfortable and I'd bet there is no way the Cruze is that comfortable, atleast I've never been in one that was.

Good job with an entirely expected response there ITguy. I hope you didn't think anyone is surprised. it's becoming a bit boring, but at least we can count on you.

Perhaps you didn't know that SRT versions of the LX chassis have far fewer complaints? Did you know they practically do not experience front end issues? Perhaps you didn't know that True Delta is likely more relevant data than many sources in many folks opinions? Finally, perhaps no one cares.

I, like many others here, have owned many Mopars across nearly 5 decades of car ownership. No significant issues on vans, cars, or trucks. And I have a history of very high mileages on all my cars. We run them a long time to extract the most value from them.

No so-called "car experts" or consumer rags have ever influenced my choices. I buy what I like. I keep them a long time. I do service them aggressively and keep them in tip top shape.

I do not appreciate your impugning our intelligence by implying we are stupid over our choices. Your high and mighty anti-Chrysler rants are boring...

I do not get the posters that have some irrational hatred towards a certain brand of car and feel the need to voice it in every thread. Just move on with life.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I do not get the posters that have some irrational hatred towards a certain brand of car and feel the need to voice it in every thread. Just move on with life.

I don't get it either. I really like Chrysler's products and I will say the seats in the Dart felt more comfy than the Cruze.

I dont doubt the reliability of the cruze, but the instrument panel is too hard to read. Its hidden behind the steering wheel and the font is too small its hard knowing how fast the speedo is at. Having rented many of these i always adjust the I/P screen to show the digital MPH. Also, no lumbar support, funny because uplevel cobalts/g5's have it.. I Like the car, i could never own one with my back hurting and having to squint at the guages. Such easy fixes that GM could have done.

Also, MPG drops significantly when travelling 75mph in the 1.4 (turbo high boost?). My 2.2 ecotec still get 30+mph when going 80mph but the cruze is down to 27-28mph. Lame.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: dishdude

I don't get it either. I really like Chrysler's products and I will say the seats in the Dart felt more comfy than the Cruze.

MOPAR has by FAR the most comfy seats across their lineup. Everything ive ridden in since the 2010 MY has been fantastic seats, Caliber, Charger, Challenger, Ram 2500 and even a 2008 Sebring (all rentals Ive had). Chevy kind of stinks when it comes to seats. i always get neck and shoulder pain in the new models. 2008-2012 malibus have a horrible seat design.

In case anyone hasnt it figured out, I rent a lot of cars. I also think MOPAR builds a great CVT now.

Originally Posted By: stower17
I dont doubt the reliability of the cruze, but the instrument panel is too hard to read. Its hidden behind the steering wheel and the font is too small its hard knowing how fast the speedo is at. Having rented many of these i always adjust the I/P screen to show the digital MPH. Also, no lumbar support, funny because uplevel cobalts/g5's have it.. I Like the car, i could never own one with my back hurting and having to squint at the guages. Such easy fixes that GM could have done.

Also, MPG drops significantly when travelling 75mph in the 1.4 (turbo high boost?). My 2.2 ecotec still get 30+mph when going 80mph but the cruze is down to 27-28mph. Lame.

No issues reading the instruments on mine. I never use the analog speedo, though. The digital speedo display with the distance to empty and instant MPG is far too useful.

MPG's depend on transmission, year, and trim. A 2011 1.4T automatic is by far the worst for fuel economy since the transmission had short gear ratios. My Eco manual with its super-tall 6th gear and aerodynamic aids will get about 40 mpg at 72 mph on cruise control. Chevy revised the automatic starting in MY 2012 to have longer gear ratios. By now they should have it all figured out.

The seats are body dependent. I have no issues with the lumbar on my Cruze's seats. Then again, with the 123k miles I've put onto the car, that driver's seat is about custom-fitted to my backside!

Originally Posted By: stower17
I wish the Cruze had the LT1

LOL. I was referring to the LT level one option package. A LT-1 engine would be nice ;^)

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
If I had to choose between a Cruz and a Dart, I'd wait for the 2016 Cruz so I could get a hatchback.

This is a valid point. The next gen Cruze looks like a nice upgrade. It has a larger back seat and will have a hatch version.

However, I think the OP is only considering used models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back