Do Your or Will You Take Care of Your Kid's Cars..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I did, then he moved 3000 miles away, so now I do what I can with limited tools when I visit. I enjoy it though.

Same here...except mine is 'only' 700 miles away.....I also enjoy taking care of their cars and it gives me POM (Peace of mind....I have girls).

Yes. 2 of my 3 son's do their own. My youngest son is a junior in college and has little interest in mechanical things at this point in time. I think that will change when he graduates and has a routine. My daughter and son in law don't have a clue so I do semiannual maintenance on their cars. I even check their oil on visits. I've come to the conclusion it's not everyone's cup of tea and some need help. He can build a website and I can't do that so we all have our "things".

I do my wifes and my cars along with the kids right now while they are in college , I am teaching my daughter the basics , 3.75 GPA in college but she learns by getting her hands dirty, so I walked her though her 2nd oil change today .

My son is a little more skilled and i will help unless, it is something that requires a lift as i dont have one but otherwise yes i will help them until they are out on their own then it's there game , and i can be an adviser

Originally Posted By: Pajero
Speaking from personal experience. Many kids now days don't want to get their hands dirty. My daughter and her husband are 23. I taught both of them how to change oil & fluids etc. I changed oil for them for a few years, then decided it was on him. (He recently learned the difference between flat head and phillips screw driver) Donated my tools and oil, but they rather take it to the Stealer. Her husband won't get under the car. Both just graduated from college and are working. I was changing oil at age 11.

Everything is disposable in today's world!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

I am 24 and do most maintenance on my own. Less expensive and more gratifying.

I will teach my kids all I know about vehicle maintenance, if they want to learn. If not, I’ll be happy to do the work. My children mean everything to my bride and I.

Short version: I will pass knowledge to my 3 girls to make them savvy enough with cars, maintenance,mechanics

My wife and sisters know tons about cars! Their dad bought them $500 Japanese auction cars(manual transmission) to share in high school/college and forced them to learn how to change flat tire, spark plugs, air filter, and oil.

None of them including my wife have an interest in wrenching the vehicles. They ALL did it in the parking lots of college when poor. However the key thing is all are very knowledgeable on what an red light means on dash (eg stop/pull over) or even check engine (can ignore till later unless flashing). Keep coolant in car etc.

They all are quite savvy and use indy mechanics in non fancy spaces/parts of town because they ask the right questions and question them at the same time. They don't follow any advice blindly.

My stepson doesn't have any interest in maintaining his car, so I do it for him. Whenever I have an issue with my computer or something else he's good at, I call him. Seems to work.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
My stepson doesn't have any interest in maintaining his car, so I do it for him. Whenever I have an issue with my computer or something else he's good at, I call him. Seems to work.

My son had no interest either. He'll do the basics, check the oil, tires, coolant, etc. He has no desire, to crawl under it for an oil change so he has someone do it for him if it doesn't coincide with a visit from me. So far I have been able to do brakes, transmission service, and exhaust work, etc. on the Navy base for him during visits. We can rent a lift and all the tools needed by the hour, which has come in quite handy over the years for us.

Both of our boys are better wrenches than I ever was, I trained them well.
Our level of involvement in our kids lives have always been dependent on how hard they were willing to work for something, if they didnt want to put the effort into it we wouldnt help, if they were willing to work for something we would offer help.

Many of us grew up in a time when working at the corner gas station provided us with not only pocket money while going to high school, but also a chance to work on cars. Pumping gas in different models, checking fluids, eventually doing oil changes, tire mounting, exhausts, brakes, tune ups, etc. I had my first gas station job at the age of 15, and worked all the way through high school.

Today there are very few full serve gas stations with work bays. Not much opportunity for getting a job and learning how to work on automobiles. The majority of today's teens will be working at McDonald's or Burger King as their first job. About the only oil or grease they will be changing is off the grill!

I worked at an Exxon station in high school until I got a job in a machine shop. Helped me in many ways. Probably spent too long changing oil etc for the sons … and still happy to help them do it since they come to our place when the OLM says it is time.

Mine are still in college and their cars are nominally mine anyway so I stay on top of maintenance. The daughter is CLUELESS, still doesn't understand that the OLM is telling her oil "life" not oil "level". I keep telling her she has one more semester in college, please, please find a nice boy and get her "MRS" degree and let him take care of her.

The son is an engineering student who professes that he'll make enough money to pay someone to work on his cars...I told him he needs to make the money before he can spend it. We shall see.

I have several neighbors who call me for automotive advice too...thankfully they've never asked to actually work on their cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back