Do you wear a seatbelt when riding in the BACKSEAT of a car?

FWIW, my aunt bought a 2020 Escape a few months ago.

One of the first times she drove it, she came home, stopped at the end of her(long) driveway, got out to get the mail, and then got back in the car. She didn't fasten her seatbelt, which is something I've been guilty of doing in similar situations(i.e. getting out to punch in a gate code when I was going ~100ft past the gate).

She put the car back in gear, and it wouldn't move. She spent a minute trying to figure it out, and finally the unfastened seatbelt hit her. Apparently, it won't move unless the seatbelt is fastened.

That can't be right. If a car was released that couldn't be driven without buckling the seat belt that would be huge news.

Yes Always!! And when riding, I'm an advocate of ATGATT

Out of curiosity why would you not wear a seatbelt?
Honestly, never "clicked" with me. See what I did there. Lol!! I never liked the feeling of being confined. No other reason. This coming from a 20 year law enforcement officer. And before anyone chimes in, nope, never wrote someone for a "no seatbelt violation" unless it was a trucker and I didn't want to ding his CDL for a moving violation and would ask him if he was wearing his seatbelt, and any trucker worth his salt knows how to answer that. He's get the "non-moving violation" and no ding on his CDL.

You're more than strange. Some would say you're lucky, but it's probably just the probability curve. About 1.25 deaths per 100 million miles driven and people average 13k miles a year. It's possible to beat the odds every year, but one day it may catch up to you.

It's just a risk reduction strategy. I always wear a seatbelt no matter if I'm front or back. Probably doesn't matter if you get crushed by a semi trailer truck, but those types of accidents are rare.

It's not completely senseless, it's a good warning/reminder to others. But as it's clear in this thread, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Or my favorite, data data everywhere, but not a thought to think.
You are most likely correct, but I'm sure the motorcycle riding, paramotor flying, and job duties, will catch up with me first. Lol!!!

Like RhondaHonda, it's rare that I'm in the backseat of a car. Of course I'll wear a belt -- if I can find the ends of it. Often they're shoved down between the cushions.

I would sooner kick one of my cats than not wear a belt while driving or riding. I know too much about physics and inertia to think I'll be safe by bracing myself against the dash.

You cannot protect everyone all the time, it is really a statistic game. The problem we have today is a lot of people believe a special case that it won't work, and then there are many cases that it will work, people think their odds are 50/50. Then they just pick what they want to hear and believe.

That's how it works in psychology, people think they know and everyone is out to scam them, even if it only means telling them to wear a seat belt. It takes some laws and fines to get people to do something right.

Last edited:
That's how it works in psychology, people think they know and everyone is out to scam them, even if it only means telling them to wear a seat belt. It takes some laws and fines to get people to do something right.

Or a scared up face and a broken neck from their head going through a windshield ... that pretty much makes them think about wearing a seat belt later on.

It's the law. If someone is not wearing back seat seat belt the driver gets a ticket.
That only applies if the passenger is under 14-18 years old, depending on the state. If that passenger is of age, they are the ones who will be issued a ticket. Not the driver.

You cannot protect everyone all the time, it is really a statistic game. The problem we have today is a lot of people believe a special case that it won't work, and then there are many cases that it will work, people think their odds are 50/50. Then they just pick what they want to hear and believe.

I am not quite sure what you mean by you cannot protect everyone all the time. Seatbelts do save lives, passengers should wear them and drivers should insist. It can be a difference between life an death. Also, wearing a seatbelt prevents injury and death by way more than 50%. A lot of states actually do not have a law pertaining to the backseat of a car if you are an adult.

You are most likely correct, but I'm sure the motorcycle riding, paramotor flying, and job duties, will catch up with me first. Lol!!!
Only if you let it. I'm somewhat sadden by your attitude. There's lots of things that adults have to do that we may not like. Pay taxes, brush teeth, go to work, etc., but we do them anyways. Wearing a seatbelt may be one of those annoying things to do also, but there's no good reason not to. And please note that I said no good reason. There's lots of bad reasons like they're inconvenient,

Only if you let it. I'm somewhat sadden by your attitude. There's lots of things that adults have to do that we may not like. Pay taxes, brush teeth, go to work, etc., but we do them anyways. Wearing a seatbelt may be one of those annoying things to do also, but there's no good reason not to. And please note that I said no good reason. There's lots of bad reasons like they're inconvenient,
That's the great thing about America, currently. We are free to choose the way we might die. Lol!!

You do not want to die such a horrible death

Maybe he does.

Either way, it's nobodies business but his.

In the Declaration Of Independence there are examples of three unalienable rights. Life. Liberty. And the pursuit of happiness.

It must have been back in the 1980's when they passed mandatory seat belt laws. It took quite a few years before I finally relented and made it a habit to always click the belt as soon as I got into the car. It took a bit longer before I did it in taxis/car services etc. But eventually I started reading about passengers of these vehicles getting seriously hurt in accidents that was much worse than it buckled. Since then, I always buckle up in front as well as back seat.

That's the great thing about America, currently. We are free to choose the way we might die. Lol!!
Yeah, you're free to be irresponsible and stick the next guy with the bill/trauma. I don't think first responders enjoy seeing dead bodies, probably get PTSD from it. And of course if someone else caused the accident, who knows what charges they may end up facing with a dead body. And then it's just a waste of life. And government does spend a lot on each person, think of what gets spent per child from grades 1-12. I'm also not sure you can characterize that as being free to choose how you die. Technically I believe it's illegal all around not to wear a seatbelt. But it's not like they lock you up for life if you don't, it's a very minor slap on the wrist if you don't. Maybe that should be the next car feature, a hand that gives you a dope slap on the back of the head if you don't wear a seatbelt.

I think you can get just as hurt in the back as you can in the front. Plenty of videos out there with people getting thrown out the back window. There's nothing about the back seat that's inherently safer than the front. I don't see the logic in skipping them just because you have a row of seats in front of you.

Back