Do you wear a seatbelt when riding in the BACKSEAT of a car?

Never in the backseat in the US but would … overseas we have drivers in TLC’s and I prefer the back with seatbelt

When I was younger I would refuse--since the good ole America decided that 2 point belts were "ok" in the back. I figured, I'd rather take my chances getting banged around as opposed to being paralyzed. I think even today I would defer and not wear a 2 point lap-only belt.

Otherwise if the drive is more than about 100 yards I buckle up. Regardless of what seat position I'm in. Physics and all in the event of a crash. It's really only if I'm doing musical cars in the driveway that I don't bother.

I find myself in that position in Taxi cabs and yes I buckle up. Honestly, smashing your face into a headrest or flying out the drivers side window in a side hit is not something I want to do. I buckle up before the car moves.

Always. Like I tell people when asked if I wear my seatbelt, “ I don’t care if I’m in the back row of a 15 passenger van, my seatbelt goes on”.

That might be pushing it. I never wore a seat belt as a child on a school bus and only died 3 times. ;) Heh, back in the day, people were allowed to ride in the bed of pickup trucks no less... don't know when the law changed, maybe they were just not cited for it.

Seat belt statistics are hard to interpret because it could be the belt alone saving lives or it could be a combinatio of that and that people who don't wear them have a more wreckless mentality which affects other driving decisions too.... maybe speeding is okay, or running a red light, using phone or vehicle touchscreen, maybe low pressure or worn through tires, ragged windshield wiper blades or windshield not defrosted enough, driving intoxicated, etc... series of bad choices, then that person hits you.

I do agree but cars that are made today have curtain and side airbags in the windows (front and back) which prevent you from flying out the car and lessening your injuries.

And wearing seat belts only adds to the mitigation of possible injuries or flying out a window. People who believe that wearing seat belts is not providing an overall plus are just fooling themselves. Most of the time when a news report shows a really bad crash and they said someone died, they also said they were not wearing a seat belt and sometimes those people were ejected out of the vehicle ... no surprise there.

Last edited:
And wearing seat belts only adds to the mitigation of possible injuries or flying out a window. People who believe that wearing seat belts is not providing an overall plus are just fooling themselves. Most of the time when a news report shows a really bad crash and they said someone died, they also said they were not wearing a seat belt and sometimes those people were ejected out of the vehicle ... no surprise there.
That's EXACTLY how it happens. It also does state whether a seatbelt was utilized. Minor crashes that would've ended up without even small injury end up being fatal ejections. So preventable with 2 seconds.

My airbag failed in my Ford Fusion... I hit a deer going 64 mph on rte 5.... Airbag light came on and never went off. I knew that passenger side airbag likely should have deployed given how hard I hit that full grown deer. . It did not. It failed. And when the insurance adjuster told me that airbag had to be replaced... Did not surprise me one bit.

Things happen.
Did you have a passenger in the car at the time and the passenger airbag didn't deploy? How was the passenger? Otherwise if you didn't it wasn't suppose to deploy. They have weight sensors to determine how hard the airbag should deploy in a crash or not if there's no one in the seat. Saves you money on not having to replace the airbag for no reason.

I'm of an age(early 30s) where seat belts were drilled in-both by parents and at school-from the time we could comprehend them. I vaguely remember by grandfather complaining about being "made" to wear a seatbelt after he got an additional ticket for not wearing one, and I think around the time I started driving(maybe a little before) no belt went from a secondary offense to a primary offense in my state.

Putting the belt on is an automatic action for me when I get in the car, whether the front or back seat.

In fact, my MG has early non-inertia 3-point belts. They also have an interesting(Kangol brand) magnetic latch that's super easy both to attach and take apart, but very secure once buttoned. In any case, the shoulder straps attach to posts on the body in front of the deck lid. When in place, the shoulder belts will block the top from raising and lowering, so there's a quick attach/detach mechanism via a plastic "keeper." The plastic keepers are often missing or broken, but are integral to the belt functioning properly. When I bought the car, the guy who sold it to me said "I never bother with the seat belts-I never could figure out how to work them." I had them at least in place before moving the car an inch(it took a bit of fiddling to figure them out) and had a set of the plastic keepers on hand a few days later. That's how strongly I feel about them.

100% no matter what seating position I am in the car, like someone above said it's just automatic for me at this point.

When others are riding in my car the car does not move until all seat belts are fastened no matter seating position. Have not had to ask anyone to leave my car to date for not fastening their belt.

100% of the time. Did this question somehow timetravel from the 1980s?
mightymousetech asked if I came here from the 1960's to ask this question and it was apparently funny. No, 2020. I only asked because like I said earlier, there are a few that still don't and I wanted to find out if it was because they don't know or don't care.

FWIW, my aunt bought a 2020 Escape a few months ago.

One of the first times she drove it, she came home, stopped at the end of her(long) driveway, got out to get the mail, and then got back in the car. She didn't fasten her seatbelt, which is something I've been guilty of doing in similar situations(i.e. getting out to punch in a gate code when I was going ~100ft past the gate).

She put the car back in gear, and it wouldn't move. She spent a minute trying to figure it out, and finally the unfastened seatbelt hit her. Apparently, it won't move unless the seatbelt is fastened.

My wife found it the hard way it is a cheaper to wear a seat belt in the back the other day after police stopped us and me almost for driving a daughter under 150cm height (not far off, but still under) in passenger seat.

Back