Do you still use checks?

Once a year I write one to renew my range membership. I have about 150 cheques on hand. At least I won’t have to worry about running out.

Credit for everything here unless the fee exceeds 2% or so which is what roughly will get back in points most of the time. Some contractors still don't take electronic payments, and very rarely if I need to pay an individual I'll write a check if they don't Venmo.

We probably write 3-5 checks a year, maybe more if we have repairmen come to the house to do something, they usually want a check.

I try not to, especially if it needs to be mailed. I despise having to use the USPS more than most anything.

I still use them. But nowhere near as many as I used to. As was mentioned when having something repaired, or landscaping they're nice to have. I send checks, and have never had an issue doing it. But have less need to, due to paying most bills online.

I see no reason at this time to not have a checking account.

Not anymore since last fall when I sent landlord a check and either postal worker stole it or lost it. I put stop payment on it, got cash and drove to landlords place and payed rent that way. Never ever again

I was just complaining in another thread recently about going to Illinois' Secretary of State's office (it's like our DMV) to transfer a vehicle title. It's like time-travelling back to 1970.... Stand in line in a tiny room, to do the paperwork with a sad old lady just counting the hours until her next break time and the years to retirement, and then stand in another line to pay all the associated fees. All taxes and fees are to be paid by check or money order only! No credit cards, no cash. I actually had to go through the process twice a second time because I didn't bring any checks the first time (need TWO checks, not just one!).

I was just complaining in another thread recently about going to Illinois' Secretary of State's office (it's like our DMV) to transfer a vehicle title. It's like time-travelling back to 1970.... Stand in line in a tiny room, to do the paperwork with a sad old lady just counting the hours until her next break time and the years to retirement, and then stand in another line to pay all the associated fees. All taxes and fees are to be paid by check or money order only! No credit cards, no cash. I actually had to go through the process twice a second time because I didn't bring any checks the first time (need TWO checks, not just one!).
Well no credit cards and no cash is fine. Don't want to pay the processing fees for credit and you don't want to deal with credit card fraud. Cash requires more controls to avoid both internal and external theft.

Just wrote a hefty check to the siding guy. We write a check every week to the music teacher and the house cleaners. Most of the service people take only cash or check. I write ~ 150 checks per year.

Well no credit cards and no cash is fine. Don't want to pay the processing fees for credit and you don't want to deal with credit card fraud. Cash requires more controls to avoid both internal and external theft.
Some places give you the option of tacking on another 3% if you want to pay by credit card. Depending on what type of credit cards (with rebates) you have...you still could come out ahead.

They used to only take Discover, but they'll take the others now with a surcharge. The last time I renewed a plate, I remembered it was $101 (not $100), so I paid cash. [Now it is $151] Since I don't carry cash, it was kind of a pain. But when I got Real ID, I used a Visa.

As for checks, it's been years. Who does that?

Until today, and for the past seven years, my use of checks to pay bills and make purchases was limited to one check per month to pay my apartment rent. Today that changed, and my rent is now automatically debited from my account. Even my housekeepers take some sort of automatic transfer. There's no longer a need to use those pesky slips of paper ... Halleluja!

Do you still use checks, and for what purpose? Just curious.
I use checks to send money to charities. Most take credit cards but not eager to fill in my credit card number on their donation forms. Have the piece of paper with my credit card info on it floating around their office or trash or dumpster.

Regularly. Most of my loan payments are all paid by check and almost all of our farm purchases are still on checks. I like the desk style checks in the 3 ring binder and carry one for farm business and one personal binder in the vehicle with me. I’d say 5 checks a month for me and 10-15 minimum for the farm. My grandfather made me get comfortable writing checks(very large ones) as soon as I could write and spell. He was an OTR truck and trailer dealer and I wrote all of the checks for purchases when I was with him.

Back