Do you still use checks?

Rarely write a check, maybe for some trivial things like a magazine subscription where I don't want to give up my CC number because some of them will enroll you in automatic renewals.

Its also becoming a more rare event to use my physical credit card as merchants update their payment systems. I use my Apple watch (sometimes my iPhone) to pay wherever Apple Pay is available. My credit card companies that are attached to Apple Pay give me 2 to 5% cash back on everything I buy in life, which is a fair amount of stuff. *LOL*

Kinda neat right now that I get 5% cash back on gasoline purchases, 3% groceries, 2% everything else, I don't count Amazon but get 5% there too.

Sams club, I scan a QR code with my cell phone and pump gas, no cards.

The Apple Pay system is so fast, snap your fingers and payment is made, really amazing.

Until today, and for the past seven years, my use of checks to pay bills and make purchases was limited to one check per month to pay my apartment rent. Today that changed, and my rent is now automatically debited from my account. Even my housekeepers take some sort of automatic transfer. There's no longer a need to use those pesky slips of paper ... Halleluja!

Do you still use checks, and for what purpose? Just curious.

Pretty much only to pay taxes and drop in the offering plate at church.

I’m probably in the minority here (especially because I’m in my thirties) but I use one check per week on average and my wife does the same. Our health insurance reimburses us for 50 massages per person per year so we take advantage of that benefit. Our massage therapist only accepts cash or checks. If it weren’t for that, I’d probably only use two or three checks per year for property tax bills.

Yes for things like car registration with town/state, tax bills and thing that are deductible for tax preparation.

At the end of the year it is really easy to find those receipts in my 12 bank statements online and use the page(s) to prepare my taxes.

I write checks for trash disposal, water bill, and to pay for Boy Scout Troop events. I also only accept cash or check for my Cub Scout Pack.
I work in IT, and I support ACH transmission and real time payment APIs. I realize that I only see the problems in my support role, but I see plenty of them. So I am a little shy when it comes to electronic payment apps.

Only if it's cheaper. Some places usually state related will charge you debit card fees and convenience fees for using card but won't charge you anything if you send them a check.

Times have changed. Deluxe Check printers whom use to be the premier provider of printed checks has closed at least one of it's major locations.

Another thing that is changing at least here in the midwest is banks don't seem to keep much cash on hand any longer. I have a friend who tried to make an $8000.00 withdrawal from his account in cash and the teller told him that the he would have to come back the next day as they would have to order the cash to have it on hand to complete the amount of his withdrawal. They told him that this practice was customary for them on any cash requested amounts over $5000.00.

Lastly the bank that I use (HQ'd in midwest) has closed several branches in our city. I was told by my neighbor whom works for the Fed that most banks know what they have to see as for as location traffic at the bank to make it worth their while to keep it open. If overhead exceeds profitability they close the branch and sell the associated realestate.

I'm old and retro. I do maybe five a year, tree trimming on a rental property where there was a credit card upcharge, for example. I recently set up auto payoffs to monthly recurring bills such as credit cards. My horror is to be lying in a hospital with a stroke and come out with bad credit because I missed a bunch of on line payments. My personal ***** is my kids, who use debit rather than credit cards. Guess they can't trust their spend thrift spouses not to over charge, but "there are no protections with debit cards, young ladies. That card is directly tied to your checking account, which is like having a book full of signed checks for every penny you own. As opposed to twenty five bucks with a credit card. "

Last edited:
I keep one in my wallet at all times just in case, you just never know. My barber only takes checks or cash to avoid all the costs associated with taking credit/debit card payments.

All you guys that say you pay for plates/tags with checks doesn't your county have an online way to pay? My wife works at the court house and I still renew my plates online rather than make her do it or drive 20 miles.

I use checks to pay utilities and credit card bills. I absolutely hate to allow someone to auto debit my bank account. It takes an act of congress to stop a debit when you have a dispute with a auto debit you have allowed. You would think you could go the bank and tell them to stop one but that is not how it works. The bank will only stop the auto debit with the permission of the company involved.

I write about 8-10 "random" checks a year, NO DEBIT CARD USAGE except to withdraw cash from my primary bank kiosk. You don't want thieves to get into your account and empty it. This can take too much time to resolve and you will be broke in the meantime.

If thieves steal a CC account, its not on me, its on the CC company's dime. I now use CC for most payments and purchases.

the rest is through BillPay by a "PUSH" from my Bank checking acct. Never a "pull". Plus it keeps keeps the ledger on one dashboard.

uc50ic4more - Down here in the U.S. we are not pretending to be French or British,
though my Scot heritage has me avoiding ZED for some genetic reason :)

- Ken

I use checks frequently; write several a month for just about every bill that comes in.
I use my CC for just about every purchase at a store or online.
I don't use debit card for anything.
Yes - I'm a grumpy old curmudgeon.

I resemble this comment perfectly.
Only time that I use debit is on our HSA account.
No point retyping it.

Last edited:
I absolutely hate to allow someone to auto debit my bank account. It takes an act of congress to stop a debit when you have a dispute with a auto debit you have allowed. You would think you could go the bank and tell them to stop one but that is not how it works. The bank will only stop the auto debit with the permission of the company involved.

This. When I have been forced to do this, I set up a separate account that I deposit the balance in monthly with a couple of extra bucks to keep the account open.

uc50ic4more - Down here in the U.S. we are not pretending to be French or British,
though my Scot heritage has me avoiding ZED for some genetic reason :)
French is totally different: It's spelled "chèque" avec l'accent grave sur le "e"!

Zed-Zed Top. Great band.

197a966132d647ab2a0659c6031e8fd2.jpg

Back