Do you preemptively purchase a new battery at a specific time interval?

Is there a duration of time that you should purchase a new battery even if your battery isn't problematic yet?

3 years? 5 years?

I haven't yet. My dad had a 2001 FORD Powerstroke that he didn't need to change until 2015. One never knows how long they will last. But every 5 years on a good battery would be a preventative measure.

I haven't yet. My dad had a 2001 FORD Powerstroke that he didn't need to change until 2015. One never knows how long they will last. But every 5 years on a good battery would be a preventative measure.
Would have thought batteries going through North Dakota winters would be short lived.

My CRV is 4 years and a few months old ... was thinking I'd change at 5 years.

Would have thought batteries going through North Dakota winters would be short lived.

My CRV is 4 years and a few months old ... was thinking I'd change at 5 years.
Actually the cold doesn't hurt the battery as much as the summer heat. His Ford only had around 60,000 on it after 14 years.

I’ve never had very good luck with batteries here in the desert southwest. Today it’s 116°. Also, I have higher parasitic drain on this current vehicle that’s more than usual. I run full-time headlights during the day and not just the daytime running lights. I want my vehicle constantly lit up to ‘help’ grab the attention of daydreamers, texters’ and young idiots. I also have three aftermarket discrete gauges that add to the drain.

I connect my battery to a commercial grade 25amp CTEK charger/conditioner about twice a month. This helps maintain a 13.9 on the battery but I would rather see 14.1 but seldom do. I’m somewhat limited on the battery options because I need a vented tube style battery for the trunk mount. I’m past the three-year rating on the battery, so I keep a close eye on it. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
No. Both of my Honda's give me warnings that the battery is going bad. Not as in an official dash light or anything, but they do things like the heater controls not working properly or other oddball behaviors. I know its time to go get a battery at that point.

The Ranger will probably be the same way. I've already had it replaced under warranty once. The clue with that one is that the truck will tell you it is going to sleep overnight through the app instead of 2 weeks like it is programmed to do.

Believe the battery in my Cobalt was purchased by the prior owner around 2013. Replaced the battery in our Cruze last year (September 2022) which we bought in January 2013. Not saying 10 years is typical but with the cost of batteries I'm stretching it as long as I can.

MIL's 2001 Lesabre went 11 years on its OE battery. Wife's HHR did at least ten. Both are mounted away from engine heat.

I don't live in Siberia, I can get a jump if I have to.

I did get a new value battery for my 99 camry... a year and a half ago, on the basis that the Interstate in it was found dead and could have had its life shortened. Nope, it still tests and works great. Fortunately the $58 Value battery has, well, held its value as its current price tag is $70. It sits in my cool basement and occasionally gets a charge top-off.

I replace batteries as necessary keeping age in mind as one of the factors. I monthly test each battery using a Solar BA44 Electronic Battery Tester, recharge as necessary and record the result in a vehicle maintenance spreadsheet. Once the battery capacity begins to drop by 10 - 20 percent more than a couple of months in a row even with recharging, I go ahead and replace the battery.

I replace batteries as necessary keeping age in mind as one of the factors. I monthly test each battery using a Solar BA44 Electronic Battery Tester, recharge as necessary and record the result in a vehicle maintenance spreadsheet. Once the battery capacity begins to drop by 10 - 20 percent more than a couple of months in a row even with recharging, I go ahead and replace the battery.
Chemman has a very good approach for detecting a weak battery. I've been living in Phoenix AZ since 1981 and I can't remember any battery lasting longer than four years. I'm over 70 and don't want to be stranded by a dead battery in this heat. Five months ago, I decided to replace a battery every 36 months rather than waiting for it to fail or weaken.

You can buy a battery tester for a few bucks. I got one on a prime deal years ago and it was a good buy. There not an exact science, but I have learned the hard way once the battery is under 60% health when fully charged its not long for the world.

The longest life battery I have been able to get here in the Southeast was maybe 4 years. Most don't last that long, the heat kills them.

I just replaced the factory Panasonic that came in my 2016 Mazda. It seemed perfectly fine and tested well, but that’s the car I take on long trips so it seemed like a reasonable investment. The old beaters don’t get a new one until they go click one day.

This is a question I've pondered a few times. Glad that @05corollaLE raised it.

My approach to battery replacement is a hybrid between the approach taken by @chemman and @JeffKeryk. I test my batteries a few times a year, and also charge/condition them regularly. I also listen to how the starter cranks when I start my cars. When they start showing signs of a long/slow start/crank, I will test/charge, and see if the battery condition can be fixed. If no, it's time for a new battery.

Listening to the starter has served me well. I can't recall the last time I've been stranded by a dead battery.

I have no idea how old the battery is in my car. I will replace it when it gives me trouble. The battery is not used to start the engine, just to run the computers and accessories, so it’s not under much stress.

Back