Do you know anyone that ALWAYS makes WIDE turns?

The New York law specifically makes it illegal to cross the guide dots, lines, etc often found at a multiple left turn lane. Though in Texas they like to drive across the grass between the interstate and the service road instead of going to an exit, so mere lines on the pavement aren't going to deter anyone seeking a shorter path.

These are at big intersections. At tighter intersections from a single left turn lane a large vehicle may have to encroach the right side to make the turn, but to strictly follow the law it should finish by swinging into to the left lane. Though that conflicts with the general principle of trucks staying to the right.

Last edited:
The shocking people part can be priceless lol.
Within a few months of starting driving, I noticed that Dad had a number of bad driving habits, including, but limited to, binary use of the gas and brake, tailgating, speeding, and cutting off other traffic at T-intersections. I also learned quickly that he didn't appreciate his 16-year-old offering up helpful corrective advice. :)

Depends.... if nobody else is around (usually the case for me coming home from work) I’ll pick whichever lane I need to be in. Otherwise I stay in my lane and make a lane change after the fact.

I tend to "apex" turns every chance I get, as many "racers" do. But I won't switch lanes in a multi lane turn, even with nobody around. That's just bad practice and has a poor "risk-reward-ratio".

comparing-lines.png

For those who don't know, the diagram above is generally the simplest way to be fastest. Brake early enough to avoid braking in the turn, turn in a touch late and spend as much time under full acceleration as possible. Many people think it's OK to turn in early, but that's not so, it leads to a hard correction at the exit of the turn.

Of course, if your vehicle is already at it's maximum speed of 43mph (the speed local drivers go in the 55 zone) such tactics won't help you much. Might as well stay on the inside line.

Last edited:
Due to some spring related issues in my Jeep, I was having the tracbar bracket hit the differential cover. I am running a 6'' lift tracbar bracket on 3 ish inches of lift. So instead of buying springs that work, I adjusted the tracbar all the way out. I did not extend the drag link. So I made some realllll wide right turns. To go straight I had to have the steering box almost maxed out to the right.

It did fix the problem of the tracbar bracket poking a hole in the differential cover, though.

This. Being from Texas I’ve always noticed that this is common in the South as opposed to anywhere else in the country. It’s also very common on two lane rural route roads when someone wants to make a left, they swing out to the right first.

Don't get me started on driving in the South.

If I had to say... no, no you know what... I better not.

Only will say: Sich gut stellen mit.

I tend to "apex" turns every chance I get, as many "racers" do. But I won't switch lanes in a multi lane turn, even with nobody around. That's just bad practice and has a poor "risk-reward-ratio".

comparing-lines.png

For those who don't know, the diagram above is generally the simplest way to be fastest. Brake early enough to avoid braking in the turn, turn in a touch late and spend as much time under full acceleration as possible. Many people think it's OK to turn in early, but that's not so, it leads to a hard correction at the exit of the turn.

Of course, if your vehicle is already at it's maximum speed of 43mph (the speed local drivers go in the 55 zone) such tactics won't help you much. Might as well stay on the inside line.

In that picture. You should maintain your lane if in the left lane. Seems a double lane turn.

If you were in the right lane, and took the turn basically the inverse of the green line.. well you could be stopped for that.

If you are like me, and intent on driving properly, being orderly, actually doing the speed limit particularly where you know the police sit etc etc.. this isn't about you know its just a ticket etc, that is still time out of the day and generally just a hassle. It is best avoided. So when you see this done everywhere.. its not your problem, no, and its generally not usually unsafe to do unless part of a road rage, but it does make you wonder, "Why am I the only one doing right."

An intersection near me has 2 lanes designated for right turn only, plus no right turn on red .
The lead car on the inner right turning lane more often seems to be the one to make the turn wide, entering into the lane of the vehicle on their left .
I would estimate that there is contact between the vehicles at this spot at least once per day .

The turn is short and tight . The road markings are faded and in the dark they are invisible .

There's one light near me.. a single lane that turns left into a double lane. Stay straight, and you are in the parking lot of a store. This is where I most often see people hanging wide turns. There are many other spots of same, the inner lane driver turning to the outer lane and not maintaining the inner... TO BE FAIR, there is a Plaza along that road (Vitamin Shoppe, etc. Stores.. heh..) that people go into and can only do from the right lane.

I just keep thinking to myself, man, what if there was a cop right behind you, would you do that. Sometimes it "bothers" me more than other times.. maybe that's the wrong way to put it. It doesn't "bother" me, its just an observation that would be more akin to 🤨or perhaps 🤔 or "Really."

I frequently don't see a single person maintain their lane. Unless it is to achieve Pole Position at the next light. But that's about the only time. Acceleration races are a thing at pretty much every light, everywhere. Better than than being tailgated I suppose...

As a whole, It just reinforces that.. as long as you don't have an accident, you can do just about anything you want on the road. Of course that's not true.. but there are entire whole areas of "town" that I absolutely avoid because honestly sometimes you must just be invisible.

I don't understand. Does not compute.

In that picture. You should maintain your lane if in the left lane. Seems a double lane turn.

If you were in the right lane, and took the turn basically the inverse of the green line.. well you could be stopped for that.

If you are like me, and intent on driving properly, being orderly, actually doing the speed limit particularly where you know the police sit etc etc.. this isn't about you know its just a ticket etc, that is still time out of the day and generally just a hassle. It is best avoided. So when you see this done everywhere.. its not your problem, no, and its generally not usually unsafe to do unless part of a road rage, but it does make you wonder, "Why am I the only one doing right."

That picture is the common "racing line" typically used on tracks. Good drivers can practice that in their own lane. especially if the lane is wide, without ever straying over a line.

I'll never claim that cops will "like it" but it's legal in your lane.

Back