Do you have a favorite fuel?

It depends of the quality of the coffee at the gas stations.
I don’t want to be sarcastic but diesel cars are not practical of course if you made above 20 k miles per year or you are professional driver.

I like this fuel from the outlet best.

But seriously no I’ve never had a favorite fuel brand. If Pay with GasBuddy is running a promotion or the price is overall the best that’s where I’ll go. But I don’t go far out of my way to get gas so convenience matters too.

There is one gas station locally I won’t go to. All three times I went I felt my vehicle ran poorly. And that’s across three different vehicles.

Attachments

• IMG_3064.jpeg
    IMG_3064.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 6
I fill my car once a month. We shop and do pharmacy at Kroger. We usually get $1 a gallon discount from fuel points, once in a while only 80-90 cents but almost always $1. So with that discount it's by far the best buy and that's where I fill. It also saves just a little more since it's only about a 100 foot total detour to the pumps and back.

Sam's club Premium (91 octane). It runs about $.40/gal less than the BP and Quick Trip's around here. I used to buy Costco, but got tired of the long lines. Once in a while I will splurge and buy a tank of BP 93 octane.

Used to be Costco until the lines to fill up got so long. Now I just run down to Buc-ee's and get a car wash at the same time.
Long lines can definitely be a downside to getting fuel at Costco. Fortunately, long lines for fuel has not been a problem yet, at a newer (1 year old) Costco near me. I've never seen more than about half of the pumps in use at any given time.

There is a limit on how long I will wait in line at a Costco fuel station, just to save a few bucks.

Long lines can definitely be a downside to getting fuel at Costco. Fortunately, long lines for fuel has not been a problem yet, at a newer (1 year old) Costco near me. I've never seen more than about half of the pumps in use at any given time.

There is a limit on how long I will wait in line at a Costco fuel station, just to save a few bucks.

I've been at one early in the morning or near closing time and it's often pretty good. But good luck during peak hours.

The hard part might be guessing which island to use. Most Costcos I've seen have three pump islands, and sometimes there's a game when it looks like someone is leaving - especially if it's the vehicle in the middle. I've waited for the car behind to pull out rather than just head in and do some parallel parking. Sometimes it's waiting for all the vehicles on one side of an island to leave so that three straight cars can pull in one after the other.

The other weird thing about my closest Costco is one island that was added later. But it's only two pumps when the rest of the station had three pump islands.

bp 75% of the time, Sunoco 20%, Shell 5%.
bp's North American headquarters is located in the town I live in so I assume they pay some pretty good taxes which helps me so I support them by using Castrol and buying their fuel.

I get my gas at Maverick with the NITRO card which gets me a minimum of 10 cents a gallon. Sometimes I can get gas at the same or better price at Walmart. I often fill at the local Costco if the line isn't crazy long. Just depends where I'm at and how easy it is to get to what station.

When I lived in Columbus Ohio, I always just got the cheapest 87 from the sketchiest corner store in town, most often the M&S Pizza on Georgesville Rd because they were almost 20-30 cents cheaper than anywhere else. I also frequented Cleveland as I have a lot of family there, and basically everything up there IS a sketchy corner store.

Now living in Lewiston Idaho, almost all the gas stations here in town (76, Chevron, and Nom Nom) are owned by Coleman Oil so they all get the same stuff anyway. We also have a couple Sinclair stations, a Maverick, a Circle K, two Exxons and a Cenex, and I usually go to the Cenex because they're a few cents cheaper than the others. Cenex also just happens to be top tier gas.

However I have never had any issues as a result of running non top-tier gas.

When I lived in Columbus Ohio, I always just got the cheapest 87 from the sketchiest corner store in town, most often the M&S Pizza on Georgesville Rd because they were almost 20-30 cents cheaper than anywhere else. I also frequented Cleveland as I have a lot of family there, and basically everything up there IS a sketchy corner store.

Now living in Lewiston Idaho, almost all the gas stations here in town (76, Chevron, and Nom Nom) are owned by Coleman Oil so they all get the same stuff anyway. We also have a couple Sinclair stations, a Maverick, a Circle K, two Exxons and a Cenex, and I usually go to the Cenex because they're a few cents cheaper than the others. Cenex also just happens to be top tier gas.

However I have never had any issues as a result of running non top-tier gas.

That might be kind of tricky. I looked them up and they're just a distributor and not a producer. Most likely they're just distributing whatever commodity fuels are available at the fuel depot, although they could additionally ship to their own facilities.

They probably add the proprietary additive packages for each retail brand, but that's a requirement of the licensing agreement that they get their fuel through that retail brand (like Chevron) where they tell the station where to send its driver.

I found a map of Idaho's distribution system. Doesn't seem very extensive where out of state infrastructure may be used. Most likely the fuel depot serving that part of the state is in Spokane.

Petroleum-Infrastructure-Overview-1.jpg

Back