Do you have a favorite fuel?

I usually get gas twice a week. There's an Irvings just before the highway, and one near work. I usually do the one closer to home, no good reason. Wife thinks the local Sunocco doesn't give as good mpg as Irvings, myself I rarely go there, but now avoid it.

I mostly go to one out of convenience, not sure if there is a real difference between them all. Occasionally I get 10c/gal, which was great when I had a vehicle that could take upwards of 20 gallons (or more). Now that I'm stuck buying only 10 gallons at a time... not so much a perk anymore.

I fill my car on the last day of the month that won't be raining. Kroger to get the discount from all our grocery and pharmacy purchases. Most months it's $1 a gallon discount.

90% of fillups are at Chevron. There's one by my house & three by my work. I do try to stick with Chevron, Shell, Exxon-Mobil & 76 overall though.

My little pickup is pretty forgiving on the brand of fuel & doesn't seem to mind which I use.

Wifes 2.0EB Fusion isn't. It was my commuter for several years & didn't like Costco gas. I tried for a solid 6 months using Costco. Started sputtering at idle, 1-2mpg loss. Switched back to the main Chevron fillup with other Top Tier brands when convenient & that problem went away by itself.

I buy only Top Tier 95% of the time. Only buy unbranded gas when there’s no other choice.

This is a question I'd be intrigued to find out answers for.

Do you have a favorite fuel? No proper science behind it, purely butt dyno and personal findings from how your car drives?

I've ran 3 different diesel vehicles over the last 8 years or so. I have always found that my favorite diesel is BP Ultimate Diesel. (Here in the UK).

My diesels always seem to run nice and quiet on it. My uncle (that has the same engine with less miles) commented on how quiet mine was. (Totally un-scientific of course).

So, do you have a "Go-To" fuel you often prefer?
Costco

n my Harley,,,with only 60 HP,, no favorite brand,,,lol,,,,,in the car,,,naw,,,wally world fuel for me usually

This is a question I'd be intrigued to find out answers for.

Do you have a favorite fuel? No proper science behind it, purely butt dyno and personal findings from how your car drives?

I've ran 3 different diesel vehicles over the last 8 years or so. I have always found that my favorite diesel is BP Ultimate Diesel. (Here in the UK).

My diesels always seem to run nice and quiet on it. My uncle (that has the same engine with less miles) commented on how quiet mine was. (Totally un-scientific of course).

So, do you have a "Go-To" fuel you often prefer?
Costco....

Locally, Shell 91 for the GX460 most often. On road trips, whatever is cheapest, but try to stick with Top Tier. Sinclair 50/50 mix of 91 and 100 for the M2 CS.

Exxon, Chevron, Shell, and Valero … lots of no name gas these days but I seldom use those …

There is no better 87-93 octane gasoline fuel that surpasses top-tier Shell in Michigan.
I suspect both Sunoco and (absent from Michigan) Chevron are it's closest quality competitors. Mobil-Exxon and BP follow them.

We have around 200 school buses at M.I.S.D. The entire fleet of Diesels & Gasoline use BP.
In the six years since I took this post-retirement, part time job bussing handicapped kids, all those 200 or-so engines between the ages of new and 10 years old, run smooth as silk all-the-time. All of the gas units run on 87 octane and no hesitations or no stumbles with these engines, on long daily journeys covering the entire 3rd largest County in Michigan.

Some Routes there cover 75-100 miles per day. These special-needs kids get special care and go to distant, special places to cover their needs.

Last edited:
90% of the gas used in my F150 5.0 V8 is either Petro Canada, or Co-Op, but on trips, can be several other brands as well.
Can I distinguish a driving difference between them, my answer is no.

As a truck driver, and in the past a tow truck driver, I've driven many diesels, from the small diesel in the F550 tow truck, to Paccar, Cummins, Volvo, and Detroit diesel engines, in full size tow trucks, and semi trucks.
Over that time I have used at least 6 different brand names, from 50 plus card locks, and never had what I would call a bad tank of fuel. Nothing that has made me say to myself, this runs bad, or something to that effect.

Can I pinpoint my favorite brand, no.

Do they all seem about the same to me, yes.

That might be kind of tricky. I looked them up and they're just a distributor and not a producer. Most likely they're just distributing whatever commodity fuels are available at the fuel depot, although they could additionally ship to their own facilities.

They probably add the proprietary additive packages for each retail brand, but that's a requirement of the licensing agreement that they get their fuel through that retail brand (like Chevron) where they tell the station where to send its driver.

I found a map of Idaho's distribution system. Doesn't seem very extensive where out of state infrastructure may be used. Most likely the fuel depot serving that part of the state is
Coleman oil is just the distributor, each brand gas their own additives, Chevron is not the same as 76, etc. I've seen the Coleman trucks at every gas station in southeastern WA including Safeway. I usually stick to the cheapest top tier 87 octane regardless of brand, 76 or Sinclair (Moscow Id.)

What ever gas the particular circle k that I drive up too has because it’s always top tier and I get 20 cents a gallon discount
IMG_20231223_125410645.jpg price has dropped even more but not top tier at 7/11

Phillips 66.

I live in a company town. I buy the company’s gas.

Things are pretty relaxed nowadays. But when I was a kid in the 1950’s-1960’s in this town, and Boots Adams, a real sob, was the Phillips CEO, you would, not could or maybe, you would lose your job at Phillips if you were caught buying gas at any other station. Maybe that wasn’t exactly legal to get fired under those circumstances. But Boots Adams ruled with an iron claw, and was as close to a king as you can get in 1950’s USA.

He used to patrol the high school parking lot and if you had a car that had a competitor’s sticker or emblem on it, Old Boots would take down the plate number and go in to the school and walk right in to the Principal’s office without knocking or a word to the receptionist. He’d make the principal find out which kid had a Sinclair Dino, etc on their bumper. Heaven help the kid if their parents worked at Phillips.

Other aspects of the company town were pretty cool. The Phillips Research Center is here, with a few hundred scientists and assorted other PhD’s. They invented the plastic that was used in the first HoolaHoops. But thanks to those scientists influence we had a good school system and I benefited from that.

Z

PS : now the Phillips Research Center is the “Conoco-Phillips-Chevron Research Center”

It’s where Techron gas treatment came from, as well as a few thousand other patents

Phillips 66.

I live in a company town. I buy the company’s gas.

Things are pretty relaxed nowadays. But when I was a kid in the 1950’s-1960’s in this town, and Boots Adams, a real sob, was the Phillips CEO, you would, not could or maybe, you would lose your job at Phillips if you were caught buying gas at any other station. Maybe that wasn’t exactly legal to get fired under those circumstances. But Boots Adams ruled with an iron claw, and was as close to a king as you can get in 1950’s USA.

He used to patrol the high school parking lot and if you had a car that had a competitor’s sticker or emblem on it, Old Boots would take down the plate number and go in to the school and walk right in to the Principal’s office without knocking or a word to the receptionist. He’d make the principal find out which kid had a Sinclair Dino, etc on their bumper. Heaven help the kid if their parents worked at Phillips.

Other aspects of the company town were pretty cool. The Phillips Research Center is here, with a few hundred scientists and assorted other PhD’s. They invented the plastic that was used in the first HoolaHoops. But thanks to those scientists influence we had a good school system and I benefited from that.

Z

PS : now the Phillips Research Center is the “Conoco-Phillips-Chevron Research Center”

It’s where Techron gas treatment came from, as well as a few thousand other patents
The last power plant I worked at was purchased by Chevron (was an Edison Mission Energy plant). We used to receive a small discount on gas but it wasn't enough to make up the difference in price with other top tier fuels in town. I used to stop at a 76 on my way home from work & fill up still wearing my Chevron FR gear :ROFLMAO:

Back