Do you clean the threads?

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Doesn't seem to matter the brand, or price point, the threads always seem to present a grey material (I assume metal) when you run your finger over them in a side-wipe fashion. I didn't clean the threads on the OG Ultra I took off the Jeep before I installed it and just checked, yep, I can wipe some off, so at least some of it stuck around in service. Opened one of the Fleetguard Stratapore filters, which come in sealed bags, did the wipe test, grey on my finger from the threads. Same with the AMSOIL EaO11's that I just had show up. So, that's three premium filters from three separate brands.

I know some are OCD enough to remember to clean them before installation, I'm hit or miss on it, lol.

So, who cleans and who just runs it on without giving it a second thought?

Last edited:
I certainly have never made a point to clean the filter threads. And I have been putting on screw on filters since they were invented. Do you suppose it is like an anti seize put on there on purpose?

I certainly have never made a point to clean the filter threads. And I have been putting on screw on filters since they were invented. Do you suppose it is like an anti seize put on there on purpose?
Not sure what it is, could be something to prevent corrosion, could be metal, could be a variety of things.

I always clean the threads no matter how clean they may look. I also remove the O-ring (not if it's a P-ring) and clean the O-ring groove of any debris or paint over spray. Starting doing the O-ring groove cleaning when the yellow PureOnes came out and there was a lot of paint over spray in the groove. Doesn't take very long to clean and ads assurance there won't be any issues caused by possible debris under the O-ring.

Clean with finger in no lint shop towel... takes a second to wipe and a good habit. Not much different than consistently wiping down the oil filter mount, since filter brands vary in filter o-ring gasket/seal dimensions, and you'll never have to worry about double gasketing since the habit to clean the mount was created. You'll find some swarf every now and then on the new filter threads, and sometimes the shop rag hang up on poorly cut edges. Helps to identify possible bad threads, jagged edges, or even torn metal that isn't a thread.

Even if you don't wipe the threads, you should minimally inspect them for debris. Give the filters a good look. Nothing worse than pulling a filter off the shelf filled with dirt, pebbles, or someone's bubble gum.

More than likely its just tapping die lubricant. Cutting oils would have rust inhibitor as part of the lube. Water based cutting oils would evaporate the water leaving the inhibitor/oil coating behind.

Haggler brought up the shake. I don't 'real well' shake it but it definitely goes to the ear for a quick shake to make sure no delinquent kids filled it with pebbles at the store. If someone is falling apart internally, your ear would figure it out quick.

I am not hit or miss with inspections on ANY and ALL parts going on a engine. Doesn't take for few seconds and could prevent an issue. Remember, not all issues are preventable with an inspection. Its just helps to avoid the 'easy obvious ones'.

The thought of running my finger around the threads sounds painful-- I get enough metal splinters at work. I've always taken a quick glance for errant shavings or debris, dust etc-- if something catches my eye, I do the best I can to wipe it off with a shop towel.

The glitter filters (purolator gold, etc) have required a gasket removal and more in depth cleaning on my part, but I stopped buying them to rid myself of that trouble.

Even if you don't wipe the threads, you should minimally inspect them for debris. Give the filters a good look. Nothing worse than pulling a filter off the shelf filled with dirt, pebbles, or someone's bubble gum.
I always look them over, check for burs, that kind of stuff, but don't always wipe them clean.
I am not hit or miss with inspections on ANY and ALL parts going on a engine. Doesn't take for few seconds and could prevent an issue. Remember, not all issues are preventable with an inspection. Its just helps to avoid the 'easy obvious ones'.
I'm definitely hit or miss with the wiping, not the inspection though. I inspect once when I purchase, and again before install, giving them a look-over. But, I don't always clean the threads, not sure why, just hasn't been a habit that has formed I guess.

I give it a quick look, but I sliced open a finger pretty bad on a burr once..... if I really want to I'll use a lint free rag.

Back