Do you clean the threads?

I just put the filter on and dont worry about it. I do wipe the oil off of where the filter goes, partly to make sure that the old o-ring isnt stuck to the engine and partly because Im OCD and paranoid.

I don’t clean the threads unless their is noticeable metal shavings there or whatever. I do however usually clean off the gasket as their is usually metal shavings that have worked their way onto the gasket I’m sure just from when it was made and shipped.

Nope.

I do wipe the drain bolt, but that's just to limit mess, not to catch anything.

I’ve never wiped the threads on an oil filter. I’ll give it a look to make sure that it not cobbled up in some way, but other than that, pre-fill (personal choice and habit), lube the gasket, and on it goes. 🍻

Doesn't seem to matter the brand, or price point, the threads always seem to present a grey material (I assume metal) when you run your finger over them in a side-wipe fashion. I didn't clean the threads on the OG Ultra I took off the Jeep before I installed it and just checked, yep, I can wipe some off, so at least some of it stuck around in service. Opened one of the Fleetguard Stratapore filters, which come in sealed bags, did the wipe test, grey on my finger from the threads. Same with the AMSOIL EaO11's that I just had show up. So, that's three premium filters from three separate brands.

I know some are OCD enough to remember to clean them before installation, I'm hit or miss on it, lol.

So, who cleans and who just runs it on without giving it a second thought?
I look at the threads, if they look good with no rubbish on them and the threads are well formed on it goes.

Ahh yeah that's my thought...

I read the thread title and was like...

Ahhh no... Hadn't ever thought of that :LOL:
Try it, you find residue almost every time. I don't know if it's from cutting threads, or anti-corrossion, but it's there. I stick my finger , covered with a blue shop paper towel , and spin the filter as if i was unscrewing it. Check for fuzz after.

Reactions: SWS
Now I won't be able to sleep tonight. Haven't checked my oil filter threads 😲

Wish I hadn't come across this thread. No pun intended.

I run my finger over the thread before putting it on every time. Usually comes back with grey thread marks on it. I probably should use paper towel to do this, but usually don’t think of it.

I look at the threads, if there's nothing out of the ordinary I pre-fill it, [if possible] lube the gasket and on it goes.

Back