Do you back into a spot? Or pull in, then back out when leaving

I always try to back in, especially with the truck. I just find it easier to get in out of the parking lot that way.

I back in when possible, safer when pulling out into traffic. I also like the practice and exercise of doing it well; alignment, etc.

That said, a funny anecdote; Hired a Captain to learn docking on a bigger boat. After several docking cycles, and my being a bit of a perfectionist nut about things like this, I wasn't satisfied with my performance and wanted to do more, different docks, etc. The Captain, who I became friends with, looked at me, smirked and said 'you're the type who backs into his own garage just because he can, aren't you?'

I always pull in nose first. My logic is that many parking spaces have limited clearance all around and it is easier to judge distance to the front, especially if there is a wall or parking bumper that may damage the front spoiler. And to judge the space to other cars if they happen to be parked in the adjacent spots.

Then backing out usually only requires not having to turn the wheels until I am clear of any vehicles next to me, a garage wall or whatever.

I am however a bit paranoid about backing out but that has more to do with what other drivers are doing or pedestrians who are looking at their phones instead of paying attenion to their surroundings. I can't tell you how many times I have seen some idiot get in their car, put it in reverse and start backing out while looking at their phone instead of mirrors, rearview camera screen or turning their heads around. My fear is that I may be backing out safely but they may not and might clobber me. So I see the strategy of pulling out forward. And like to pull straight through the space in front of me if possible.

How do you figure that?
Because as you approace the spot and you have good view angle and awareness and surveyed nearby vehicle and foot traffic. Then when exiting you have full view ahead of same traffic.

But people generally have been acting nuts lately and driving aggressively everywhere including store parking lots.

Just yesterday I was preparing to nose into a spot on the left, waiting for a woman with a grocery cart to go by and the schmoe behind me floors it and passes me on the left! The as I pulll into the spot some lady in a car on the left abruptly swings open her driver's door - blocking my way - and she was facing me!
Man I was mumbling nasty words hoofing it into buy groceries!

I didn’t figure it. UPS did decades ago.
So you are a delivery driver. Great.

I'm not saying that you are wrong but people tend to be binary and like absolutes. In most cases, like this one, there is no one right answer for all situations.

Last edited:
Yes, I back into parking places about 98% of the time. In my working career I was in law-enforcement and the fire department. It’s always safer to back in because you can see the spot, so you know it’s clear. When I get ready to leave, I can see a whole lot better vs. backing out. Murphy’s Law; if you pull in nose first, invariably, there’s a crew cab truck that pulled in next to you so when you go to back out, it’s nerve-racking. 😵‍💫

So you are a delivery driver. Great.

I'm not saying that you are wrong but people tend to be binary and like absolutes. In most cases, like this one, there is no one right answer for all situations.
I am not a delivery driver, but I have lots of friends who are. And it is point blank safer to back in first. If it’s not safe to pack into a spot you move on. If you get out to your car after shopping and you have to back out you no longer have that choice. Cars are designed to be driven forward..

I am not a delivery driver, but I have lots of friends who are. And it is point-blank saber to back in first.

I am not a delivery driver, but I have lots of friends who are. And it is point blank safer to back in first. If it’s not safe to pack into a spot you move on. If you get out to your car after shopping and you have to back out you no longer have that choice. Cars are designed to be driven forward..
I don't know anything about your point-blank saber.

You just go with that.

Well let's see...

It could depend on my mood, the sun's position, the lot design, amount of already parked cars, type of car, also available space, the moon, whether my zodiac is rising, my wife, my children, my dog, how much money I intend of spending, do I even have enough money to spend?, the temp, is it raining?...IS IT SNOWING?

So ya any of tho... O WAIT THERE'S MORE!!! also I may do a random number count on political bumper stickers in the lot and choose odds or evens and that will weigh heavily on my decision.

It's complicated...

I usually back in when possible , regardless of what I’m driving. Much safer. The Volt is my first low car and I’ve already messed up the front bumper air deflector thing on parking blocks lol. Just another reason to back in when possible. Obviously on angled parking you can’t back in unless you go the wrong way and that’s not cool.

i always pull in forwards, and 90% of the time when I'm parking there's either noone around so it doesn't matter, or there's idiots who won't give me space to back in to a spot. most people will get out of your way when you're backing out of a spot. I've never really practiced backing into a spot though

I think backing is is safer. I get a good view of the space first - then I am heading out when pulling into traffic. I back in whenever possible.

The majority of the public can’t think that far ahead.
And you're not going to have random wierdos standing around in "your" spot for the ten seconds it takes to line the car up and reverse in. However, if you're trying to back out, there could be people walking down the middle of the vehicle lane.

I back in. In particular if a space is tight I'll back in so my passenger door is near the next guy's passenger door (if they pulled in forwards) so all drivers doors are as accessible as they can be.

Depends on the situation lol. If no one is around I pull in. If people are around I get to nervous I’m going to hit something since I don’t have a backup camera so I find a different place not around people lol. At work it’s very dreadful when I have to back a car out of a spot or park one in a tight spot cause I’m scared of driving anyway but especially parking cause I never learned how to park around people. I can’t pull into a spot between two cars. I’ve backed into a couple spots when comfortable space is available. At work I just pull right in my assigned spot but there is plenty of room to back out.

Back