Do you always wear gloves when changing oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never wore gloves...
In 2013 I was diagnosed with a particularly nasty cancer, Angiosarcoma of the bone (bone cancer). The root cause is exposure to chemicals which, to me, is a no [censored] as I've had my hands in solvent tanks, used oil, etc. since I was 13 ( I was 59 years old).
I'm now 5 years cancer free but going in for my 6th related surgery on the artificial knee and femur.

I've since rethought the whole "I don't need to wear gloves" thing....

I'm sorry to hear that, but also glad to hear you've survived and haven't had any new cancer. Despite the Prop 65 warnings being on almost everything, I am trying to use as much caution as possible.

Had a recent new-hire go at sanding Marine anti-fouling paint in a T-shirt and shorts with no gloves or respirator. Told me that's how he did it as his old employers. Even after reminding him that dressing and prep is paid work on the clock, he insisted he didn't need to. Much as I hated to say it, I told him that he either needed to dress or punch out. Anti-fouling paint is that copper-laden poison paint that goes on the bottom of boats to keep stuff from growing on it.

Proper gear for sanding bottom paint is a full body suit with hood, mask, and a full respirator.

But I get the ridiculousness of Prop 65. Bought a steering wheel cover that had a Prop 65 warning. Could it be that there might be that much harmful material used in manufacturing?

Originally Posted by Ozonkiller
I never wore gloves...
In 2013 I was diagnosed with a particularly nasty cancer, Angiosarcoma of the bone (bone cancer). The root cause is exposure to chemicals which, to me, is a no [censored] as I've had my hands in solvent tanks, used oil, etc. since I was 13 ( I was 59 years old).
I'm now 5 years cancer free but going in for my 6th related surgery on the artificial knee and femur.

This is what I'm terrified of. I'm a machinist, and I do wear gloves at work since my hands are always in machine coolant. Glad you beat it though, [censored] cancer.

No!
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted by Ozonkiller
I never wore gloves...

I'm sorry to read of your trials, otoh it's certainly an eye opener or should be imo. Being of similar age and doing diy OC since age 16-17, never used gloves back in the day. Now however, always. Even if one doesn't believe in the carcinogenic link, as inexpensive and readily available as nitrile gloves are now, other than spending $5-6 for 100, nothing to lose. And though much less important, there's the benefit of easier hand clean up after the job.

I wish you all the best with your future surgery and in staying cancer free. Thanks for posting.

I have the oil plug magnet tool so sometimes I just wear reusable gloves or none.

If I know its going to be messy the "extreme" nitrile gloves from harbor freight are super nice and held up well.. didnt even rip on a tire rotation where I was lubing the brake pads.

Cost around 7-8$ for 50

Always.

Makes it so much easier if my hand is covered in grease and my phone rings or I want to break for lunch. Also having the smell of fuel on my hands seems to give me a headache.

Originally Posted by Malo83
No!
smirk2.gif

What an odd response. It's fine if people don't want to wear gloves and it's fine if you feel that there's very little risk for you exposure level, but to roll your eyes at the question is pretty immature.

There's seriously no logical argument against wearing gloves while dealing with HAZMAT, which most maintenance contains at least a little of...

//

I only get eczema on my hands. I'm convinced that it was due to the many times at sea, cleaning lube oil separator disks in ship's diesel oil. This stuff was black and ran our DG's, and we pumped a bit over every so often into a large basin, which we used for general parts cleaning - I don't think it was ever drained and refilled, based on the thick layer of sludge at the bottom. Anyway, I don't remember its designation, but it was heavier than your typical motor vehicle diesel, which we called gas oil and used to get the DG's going; it was also likely full of other crap that wasn't good for me from all of the things cleaned in it.

I was a young buck and didn't know any better. I then met an engineer who refused to be rushed into a job, even though everyone else made fun of him for using PROPER PPE. I tried to emulate him, but it was too hard. Jobs needed to be done and PPE wasn't usually made readily available, especially for things like I just mentioned. There WERE a single pair of old gloves by the station, but their insides were saturated in DO, anyway!

I also remember a time, when I was a newly-qualified engineer and I asked for proper PPE to do a grind/weld job, and was looked at like I was a maniac. They were adamant about every welder wearing leathers, but I had to scrounge for a simple dust mask to be my only breathing protection. I had to mount a few fans nearby to blow at least some of the vanadium away from the work site. Even so, I knew when my brake time was, because I would become so drenched in sweat that I would start to feel tingling in my arms while welding. They were two cheap to replace the broken ER exhaust fan for weeks.

/rant

I just wanted to add my $0.02, because there are likely young or ignorant people on this site who might be cyber-pressured into thinking gloves are for wienies and that having carcinogens and other chemicals and debris beneath their nails is a sign of a real man. Phooey, I say! If I have dirty nails, it's from yard work, and what's beneath my nails is actual dirt.

I'd say I wear them about 60% of the time. I always try to remember to wear them, but sometimes I am out of them or just forget. I do wear eye protection almost 100% of the time, as oil splashing in the eyes. I think that is a more immediate concern, but also believe that even though it is a lower risk, there is no good reason not to go ahead and utilize the simple protection the gloves offer.

When I was young, I didn't know different. My hands were always covered in grease, oil, solvent, nasty stuff. Now gloves are cheap, they are easily available. And its amazing to have perfectly clean hands after auto work. No carcinogenic chemicals, no dirty oils, just perfectly clean hands when you strip the gloves off, and no exposure to potentially dangerous chemicals.

In this day and age, I'd say you are out of your mind if you don't have and use gloves in auto work.

At least TRY a box and see how you like it. You wont go back to your old way once you try it.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
No!
smirk2.gif

What an odd response. It's fine if people don't want to wear gloves and it's fine if you feel that there's very little risk for you exposure level, but to roll your eyes at the question is pretty immature.

There's seriously no logical argument against wearing gloves while dealing with HAZMAT, which most maintenance contains at least a little of...

//

I only get eczema on my hands. I'm convinced that it was due to the many times at sea, cleaning lube oil separator disks in ship's diesel oil. This stuff was black and ran our DG's, and we pumped a bit over every so often into a large basin, which we used for general parts cleaning - I don't think it was ever drained and refilled, based on the thick layer of sludge at the bottom. Anyway, I don't remember its designation, but it was heavier than your typical motor vehicle diesel, which we called gas oil and used to get the DG's going; it was also likely full of other crap that wasn't good for me from all of the things cleaned in it.

I was a young buck and didn't know any better. I then met an engineer who refused to be rushed into a job, even though everyone else made fun of him for using PROPER PPE. I tried to emulate him, but it was too hard. Jobs needed to be done and PPE wasn't usually made readily available, especially for things like I just mentioned. There WERE a single pair of old gloves by the station, but their insides were saturated in DO, anyway!

I also remember a time, when I was a newly-qualified engineer and I asked for proper PPE to do a grind/weld job, and was looked at like I was a maniac. They were adamant about every welder wearing leathers, but I had to scrounge for a simple dust mask to be my only breathing protection. I had to mount a few fans nearby to blow at least some of the vanadium away from the work site. Even so, I knew when my brake time was, because I would become so drenched in sweat that I would start to feel tingling in my arms while welding. They were two cheap to replace the broken ER exhaust fan for weeks.

/rant

I just wanted to add my $0.02, because there are likely young or ignorant people on this site who might be cyber-pressured into thinking gloves are for wienies and that having carcinogens and other chemicals and debris beneath their nails is a sign of a real man. Phooey, I say! If I have dirty nails, it's from yard work, and what's beneath my nails is actual dirt.

Took it personal did you, in my 65 years i've done all my vehicle oil changes with no gloves and 22 yrs of working on NAVY jets,turboprops and helos with no gloves, always had rags and paper towels to wipe my hands down with. Oh and i don't have anything under my fingernails, keep them trimmed short at all times, maybe you need to do a better job washing your hands to get that dirt out from under your fingernails.
lol.gif

No!
smirk2.gif

//

/rant

Took it personal did you, in my 65 years i've done all my vehicle oil changes with no gloves and 22 yrs of working on NAVY jets,turboprops and helos with no gloves, always had rags and paper towels to wipe my hands down with. Oh and i don't have anything under my fingernails, keep them trimmed short at all times, maybe you need to do a better job washing your hands to get that dirt out from under your fingernails.
lol.gif

Kind of missed the point, did you?

Your logic is kinda like - I done been smokin' for 30 years and ain't got cancer - smokes ain't gonna hurt'cha!

If you truly DAILY worked on dirty components, then you'd know that getting clean nails DAILY isn't very easy to do. The only way to get somewhat clean nails was for me to cut them down to nubs and scrub the [censored] out of them, and even then they weren't super clean. There is no degbate: gloves = safer and cleaner hands. This doesn't even count the number of times I'd come up for lunch and stuff down a sandwich or two down my gullet with "clean" hands, hoping to get a quick work-out in before I had to go on watch.

No!
smirk2.gif

//

/rant

lol.gif

33.gif

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
No!
smirk2.gif

//

/rant

lol.gif

33.gif

lol.gif

No!
smirk2.gif

//

/rant

lol.gif

aMAZING rebuttal.

My grandpa died of Asbestosis at 86. I wonder how much longer he would have lived, had respirators been required PPE back then. 86 is good enough, though, right!?
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back