Do you always wear gloves when changing oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost always. Sometimes I forget, and am almost done before remembering.

With the Fumoto valve on my Outback, they really aren't needed very much. But used motor oil is a carcinogen, so I try to remember to wear gloves whenever handling it.

I have tried it both ways. I prefer gloves. My favorite gloves are microflex's "black dragon." It's a super sticky/grip-y latex material and a shop rag can easily remove any build up of fluid or grime on them.

Originally Posted by Trav
I was never a glove user but since I tried the 9 mil black nitrile gloves from HF I am now. I only tried them because my iphone touch sensor didn't work right for days after a good hand cleaners and scrubbing or getting dried out from paint reducers and thinners.
These are the best gloves I tried, better than any of the common blue ones and durable enough to get a lot of work done and cheap enough.

Try SAS Safety Thickster gloves. these are the last gloves that you will ever want to buy. they are good enough that I typically end up reusing a pair two or three times. Not as cheap as the harbor freight gloves, but so much more worth it because they rarely end up breaking. They can also protect you from some common abrasions. They don't feel terribly obstructive to work either.

I looked at those but only found them in latex, latex wont hold up to most thinners and reducers, it just turns into a soggy mess. I usually get a couple of uses out of the HF 9 mil, its a pretty tough glove but still has good working feel.

Nah, just keep a shop towel nearby.

I'll be getting a Fumoto valve for the 300 and hopefully I can find an oil pan that's UNDER 5" tall but will hold 6qts so I won't even have to jack it up. No mess at all then, love those cartridge filters!

Originally Posted by ZZman
No, rarely. Seems I get in a hurry and forget. Or maybe I like the feel, smell and mess of hot oil on my skin.

I know that this pretty much applies to everything, but contact with used oil has been linked to cancer, so I try to keep it off the skin.

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Originally Posted by ZZman
No, rarely. Seems I get in a hurry and forget. Or maybe I like the feel, smell and mess of hot oil on my skin.

I know that this pretty much applies to everything, but contact with used oil has been linked to cancer, so I try to keep it off the skin.

According to the state of California, seemingly everything is linked to cancer. I ordered new control arms for my car. When I received them, they had a California prop 65 warning... on a f*cking control arm...

I wear gloves just about anytime I'm working on a vehicle. I like the SAS Astro-Grip Nitrile in Orange. The high visibility colors lets you know dirty the gloves have gotten.
Harsh chemicals break them down, But I don't do body/paint work.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Never. That's why they make hand cleaner.

+1^^

+2^^^^

I don't wear gloves when working on stuff
I take off my rings when working on stuff
I work bare sleeved, or with sleeves rolled up.

(Two of those upset the WHandS people).

However, I don't work on enough stuff for it to be ever an issue

bindi killer at home...elbow gloves, face shield

I never used to and about 12 years ago I started and have not looked back. Easier cleanup and my hands don't smell like oil or diesel, which is nice. I wear work gloves when wrenching on things that might give way and bust knuckles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back