Do you always wear gloves when changing oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not needed with a Fumoto valve and a top-mounted filter. No mess to be had 'round these parts.

For any other dirty work, gloves are a necessity. IMO, people who don't use gloves are on the same level as those who clean their brakes with compressed air.

Originally Posted by ZZman
No, rarely. Seems I get in a hurry and forget. Or maybe I like the feel, smell and mess of hot oil on my skin.

Always.

Used oil isn't good for you and you absorb it through your skin.

If it were OK, then pouring used oil into a gravel-filled hole in the ground would be just fine...

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Many years ago didn't used to, now always. 100 5mil nitrile from HF, $5-6 with coupon. Work well.

Those are exactly what I use. I feel like an idiot for using thinner gloves in the past, especially when I had to change out one or both multiple times while working on a project!

Didn't until about ten years ago. I am mid fifties, and have more respect for my relatively good health now, and more respect for how easily that can go off the rails.

Originally Posted by WagonWheel
Moi aussi on the HF 5mil's. Usually go through 2 or 3 pairs on a typical OC.

What in [censored] are you doing during an oil change!?

Originally Posted by Dave1027
I usually wear one glove, sorta like Micheal Jackson. I put it on the hand I use to removed the drain plug.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Originally Posted by WagonWheel
Moi aussi on the HF 5mil's. Usually go through 2 or 3 pairs on a typical OC.

What in [censored] are you doing during an oil change!?

Ha, knew I'd have to eat some crow on that. Probably more like 2. Usually trash one on the plug and another on the filter removal.

The last time I didn't wear my gloves I ended up with a $ 1700 hospital bill. I wear Mexhanix gloves and it's likely they could have kept the gash to not needing stitches.

I wear the gloves (and eye and ear protection too.)

Yes I got in that habit years ago. I'd rather not handle it when for a few pennies I don't have to touch it.

Just did one and no … I bring blue paper shop towels under for that part and come out and finish clean up with Gojo and Dawn … oil is not on me long …

Also not a hot oil change fanatic … it was 60F when I did one and 0W20

As a rule, yes. I tend to go through a bunch in general working on the car, it seems I rarely wear gloves for more than ten minutes before I've got good reason to change or otherwise take off.

I buy both the vinyl and latex ones from HF. Vinyl seem to actually come off and go back on reasonable well, although they often start to break down from contact with oily stuff. But that's ok as I tend to change often anyhow...

Now that I think about it, it's probably two pairs to do an oil change. I always forget some tool inside the house, so off come the gloves.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Also not a hot oil change fanatic … it was 60F when I did one and 0W20

Neither am I. At 10F cold 0W20 will flow like water, ya know. :thumb: I do mine with the engines stone cold.

Not always, but I really need to get into the habit of wearing them everytime. I suppose we should all look at it in the same way that we look at "preventative" maintenance, it's cheap insurance against the possible long term affects of neglect.

I've done thousands of oil changes and have only used glove(s) a handful of times when I had an open cut or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back