Do people really prefer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...black interiors(a sea of BLACK) over other colors such as gray, tan/beige or the other colors(red/terracotta) that some car companies are offering?

More & more sales reps/consultants are telling me that this is what people want.

I realize that having one color of interior(black) is a cost cutting factor and not having to warehouse & inventory other colors and/or materials. And too, I realize that it doesn't affect quality.

I personally prefer tan/beige interiors or lighter colors that compliment the paint. No, I don't want to see a tan/beige interior with a silver or charcoal painted vehicle.

So often now, when visiting a local new car dealership, they have a car lot full of vehicles(all models) all equipped with black interiors be it cloth or leather. I realize that all vehicles today have the typical black dash top and door sills but, I still would like to see more vehicles with a contrasting color.

This conversation is just for fun but I'd still like to hear how others feel.

CB

Last edited:
I like the color of the palomino or khaki like colors that older German cars have. Having a kid though I like black. And my dad has a tan colored cloth truck interior because he got a good deal. It get filthy. I have a black interior with vinyl. I can keep it pretty clean. It gets hot in Texas but I have good tint and I use a windshield shade every day. I even have a metal shift knob and it doesn't get too hot unless I leave the shade off.

Black is trendy, and what the cool folks are into.

What else would explain the number of almost new black colored vehicles cruising around in South Florida. Sure, a few of them are northern transplants, but most favor the cool and trendy look over the colors that do not attract the heat as much as a black paint job does.

Black and beige compliment more exterior colors and it costs a lot of money to retain a plethora of interior color choices. It's why you only find interior color options with luxury makes. If you want choice you have to pay for it.

Last edited:
I prefer my interior to be cooled down to at least 20F below what the outside ambient temperature is, assuming the current month is not December or January. Beyond that, I don't care. Pink, Purple, Orange, whatever color it is won't bother me in the least as long as the air conditioner works and works well when the calendar flips past Feb 1st.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
... I personally prefer tan/beige interiors or lighter colors that compliment the paint. No, I don't want to see a tan/beige interior with a silver or charcoal painted vehicle.

CB

Why not? Natural leather over silver is the classic Aston Martin Bentley Arnage theme along with black and tan.

I don't like red to sit in - it incites rage in me. and I don't like battleship gray its just so jail cell..
I would prefer all black to a mishmash of silver plastic trim rings everywhere on black

I do like the old Lexus Tan and chocolate two tone with wood scheme on the old LS400's.

I find a light beige interior is a nicer place to be,

Color interiors are difficult to design. There are many different materials that go into coloring an interior. The automaker tries to ensure the colors won't fade weirdly, or at least fade uniformly.

I imagine black is easier to design in this aspect.

My Jag has a light beige interior with an odd dark brown carpet. It's awful for me, as it's impossible to keep it looking good. Also, in bright sunlight, the light colored dash reflects in the windshield and is really annoying. The interior reflections of a bright interior are annoying.

2 of my F150's have black interior. The Lariat is leather, is quite nice and easy to keep clean. The 2018 XLT is cloth/plastic and is not as nice. The cloth seats show any dust/debris/coffee
smile.gif
and I can't seem to clean the dirt off of the black plastic. The XLT simply does not look as good.

My 2011 XLT has a dark tan cloth interior and is reasonably easy to keep looking clean.

Personal preference would be a high quality leather in any shade from dark tan/saddle/very dark brown to black.

I like this:

[Linked Image]

In the end though, I don't look at the interior while driving and really don't care about the color as much. As long as it's not glaringly bright inside...

I'm much more interested in looking outside while driving. And being comfy.

From the automakers standpoint it's all about costs. Multiple interiors cost more.

I've had vehicles with various interior colors. The worst would be the dull gray that was popular in the latter 80's and into the 90's. Our Mitsubishi Montero had a coffee brown dash with a cream lower end. That was nice.

Our current Mazda is all black. At first I thought I would regret it but now I don't mind it at all.

Personally I prefer the brown colors. Some cars have some odd color accents to me like burnt orange and those are a instant turnoff. Putting polarizing colors in a interior could affect sales.

I refuse to buy new vehicles with black interior. I'm a little more willing to compromise when dealing with used vehicles. To me the perfect interior is a brown/tan combo (much like the cocoa dune interior of my Sierra).

[Linked Image]

My wife bought an Olds some time ago and had a choice between a couple of tan leather interiors and one with black cloth on the lot...she really wanted leather but went with the black because she thought the other two looked really funny, and I had to agree with her. Exterior was either black or dark grey for them all and the tan interiors just looked bizarre to both of us.
My last car had grey leather (aftermarket due to the dealer messing me around) and I was fine with it, looked OK with the dark blue exterior. I have black "leather" (only portions of the seats) now and like it better than the grey.
I can't even picture what color the interior of my wife's car is now, I know it's leather....I usually drive!

Originally Posted by Leo99
You don't have to clean black seats.
Not sure about that. Black shows dust much more easily than light colored interior.

Practicality aside, I do like the looks of a black interior.

I prefer black seats myself. Doesn't have to be all black. My wife has a Ford Edge sport package with black and gray leather seats and I really like the styling on it.

light colors for me any day, exterior and interior

I really like that trend of chestnut color interior lately and no leather for me please

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
My wife bought an Olds some time ago and had a choice between a couple of tan leather interiors and one with black cloth on the lot...she really wanted leather but went with the black because she thought the other two looked really funny, and I had to agree with her. Exterior was either black or dark grey for them all and the tan interiors just looked bizarre to both of us.
My last car had grey leather (aftermarket due to the dealer messing me around) and I was fine with it, looked OK with the dark blue exterior. I have black "leather" (only portions of the seats) now and like it better than the grey.
I can't even picture what color the interior of my wife's car is now, I know it's leather....I usually drive!

For a long time GM thought that a beige [sorry: neutral] went with every color. It didn't. Berry Red and tan: fail. Black ... and tan: fail. Blue and tan: fail.

Saturn had a new turquoise color, one year on it's ION that came with a funky tan interior. It looked awful.

And GM's "taupe" leather looked like the flesh of a human corpse but it was everywhere for the longest time. Repulsive to look at I'd hate to touch it, it was just that bad.

The tobacco colored leather in the new Aura went with nothing but people mindlessly raved about it regardless of what color it was paired with. Interiors are really supposed to complement the exterior color. Those seats would have been perfect on a brown/beige/white exterior car. Not across the color spectrum.

That line about "It's what people want" is of course, BS. They'll sell what the factory pumps out and it benefits the factory to put black interiors into cars.

I think what they;re really thinking is: "Why do you care? You're only going to lease this POS for three years. Or it will be repo'ed before the final payment."

Grey was done for way too long as well.

It's really unimaginative, but the color keying skills so well developed in the 50s have been lost to time and bean counting, so black it is.

Last edited:
I'd rather have black than "old man tan."

Give me a nice (operative word there, nice) grey, navy, brown, cream, or some other color though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back