Do I Need API SP?

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
My 10yo Camry 4-cyl has no turbo, no direct injection (that I know of) ... it's a pretty basic engine. Does the engine have any real need for an SP rated oil? Would an SP oil have any useable benefits over SN+ or even SN? Thanks!

That’s part of the SP specification.
SP will be backwards compatible with all the previous classifications. Is there something that bothers you from running the latest oils?

That’s part of the SP specification.
SP will be backwards compatible with all the previous classifications. Is there something that bothers you from running the latest oils?

Can someone please explain the specification as it applies to timing chains.

I'm not at all bothered by using the latest spec. Just curious if there's a benefit using SP over SN+ or SN in the Camry's engine. It's nice to have more information about the products I use.

Simple answer is no you don't need SP oil, but it is better or equivalent in every aspect.
So the real question is why not?

From Kendall:

Kendall-GF-6-Chart.png

In what way is an SP oil more beneficial to a timing chain than an SN or SN+ oil?

Here's a good thread to start with:

When a whole class is drawkcab paddle-bill, the previous class will basically just go away, but the marketing folks will still put the letters and logos on the jugs.

Better question to ask is, what oil is not SP ?

Not even sure why all this investment into new oils and such when the whole transportation industry is moving towards EV's and H vehicles.

Using SP rated oil has some benifits as discussed in the linked articles showing the spider charts. It's not any more expensive, so just use it instead of trying to find old API oil on the shelves, if you even can by now anyway.

When someone contemplate using API SP oil for an older/old engine and many would vehemently advice not to, I laugh and imagine someone asking "I heard about a new medication for high blood pressure, should I ask my doctor to prescribe it to me? nay sayers will answer: NOPE you don't need it. It was used when you were born, use whatever was there when you were born, you're good enough with the 60s medications" lol

Back