Do I Need a Tranny Cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started towing a boat and trailer outfit with my '00 Subaru Outback 2.5L and AT. The weight estimate is about 500-600 lbs, boat, trailer, motor, fuel and gear. The furtherst lake I plan to goto is about 160 miles roundtrip and the lake I most frequent is 25 miles roundtrip. The weather around here allows year round use. Think it behooves me to get a auto transmission cooler installed?

TIA....bgin

I think every AT should have a tranny cooler. Towing just means you need a bigger one.

Go with the stacked plate design.

Very cheap insurance.

I agree, I put a cooler on every automatic I own. Stacked plate is the best summit sells a B&M supercooler kit with hose and some fittings/mounting brackets 24,000gvw for $49.00 excellent deal. I have had mine for several years.

how about a cooler + a tranny temp gauge?
www.egauges.com

I'm thinking of adding that B&M cooler to our Grand Cherokee. It tows a 4500-5000#, 23' trailer about 800 miles down into Baja...

I miss SLO. nice area.

Transmissions are getting more complicated, fragile and expensive all at the same time. An additional cooler and filter will help. It also will add more fluid to the system. More frequent changes and synthetic fluid are a good investment, too. In fleet service we never flush, but do a simple drain and add back to full. It never gets it all but a constant rotatioin of three or four quarts will do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back