Do I need a high milage oil?

Your sacrificing engine efficiency benefits for extra wear protection and seal swelling you don’t actually need. It’s like adding a layer of carnauba wax on top of a ceramic coating. You feel good about it because you did something different and added more to your already exceptional layer of protection, but in reality you just wasted time.

I've been using M1 HM 5/30 in our daughter's Yaris for 3 years with no ill effects. The 1st couple of OCs were rather dark. I suppose that's a testament to it's cleaning ability. We bought it used and I did know exactly what oils had been used in it's 1st 8 years.

It's now 11 years old with 150k on it. Zero oil leaks, zero burning....not even a slight puff of smoke at startup when it's sat for a few days. I've never added any make up oil either. How much of that is the oil and how much of it is a testament to the durability of the 1NZ engine....I guess I can't say.

What types of oil had been used in the Yaris before you got it?
It has the same engine as my car, the 1.5L.
My car has a clean CARFAX and was in a Toyota shop for regular maintenance up to 108k miles.
Toyota FS oil was most likely what it was fed at the dealer.

Last edited:
HM oils seem to work just fine for me, but seem utterly unnecessary. In some cases, the HM oil's main point is higher viscosity. All the additives in the world don't replace sufficient viscosity when it's needed. As could be the case with a slightly worn engine. With your OCI's, I'd suspect your engine has exceptionally low wear.

In your case, the standard 5W-30 M1 should be just fine throughout the engine's entire lifespan. If you feel you need more viscosity, step up to regular M1, 10W-30. Or even a 5W-40 M1, like Delvac 1.
Sounds like a good rule for my Prius too.
I know a guy with 260k on his Prius C and it uses no oil at all, and it was fed Super Tech FS it's whole life.

Your sacrificing engine efficiency benefits for extra wear protection and seal swelling you don’t actually need. It’s like adding a layer of carnauba wax on top of a ceramic coating. You feel good about it because you did something different and added more to your already exceptional layer of protection, but in reality you just wasted time.
Good points. HM oil in my Prius C engine would probably cause a drop in my MPGs.
I looked into HM but I'll probably stick to regular FS.

My car has a clean CARFAX and was in a Toyota shop for regular maintenance up to 108k miles.
I don't know much about it's 1st 8 years and 125k miles. CarFax showed a few OCs from the dealer early on. So I'm guess some bulk 5/30 conventional.....probably Valvoline, as that seems to be the bulk of choice around here.

After a couple of years CarFax doesn't show much. So I'm guessing quick lube or DIY OCs.

HM=marketing! No gain or loss.
~11+ cst from Castrol datasheets when other's are 10-10.8cst. Some of Castrol 30 grades hit 12 cst. So, if the price is the same, skip the HM for a euro 0w30 or 5w30 and get that 11.5-12.5cst oil.

I'd skip the overhyped M1 filter and use a synth media filter, oversized if there is diameter or length room.

When an oil holds an API spec, its extra this and that means little as there are limitations.

HM=marketing! No gain or loss.
~11+ cst from Castrol datasheets when other's are 10-10.8cst. Some of Castrol 30 grades hit 12 cst. So, if the price is the same, skip the HM for a euro 0w30 or 5w30 and get that 11.5-12.5cst oil.

I'd skip the overhyped M1 filter and use a synth media filter, oversized if there is diameter or length room.

When an oil holds an API spec, its extra this and that means little as there are limitations.

What if I don't like Castrol?

....Use whatever brand of oil you want.

Oh I intend too. But it's obvious that you don't care for M1 products (which is your prerogative).

I buy all of my oil at Meijer. They stock several brands, but M1 and Valvoline they carry the most variety of and often have them on sale....as well as M1 and Fram Ultra filters. So those are the brands I typically use.

It's just oil. I'm not going to over think it. As for HM being just "marketing"....I think there's enough info around here to counter that to some extent....at least with some brands.

And why would I want to pay a premium for a 0/40 Euro oil, when M1 HM is the same price as vanilla M1 and comes in at nearly a light 40?

Oh I intend too. But it's obvious that you don't care for M1 products (which is your prerogative).

I buy all of my oil at Meijer. They stock several brands, but M1 and Valvoline they carry the most variety of and often have them on sale....as well as M1 and Fram Ultra filters. So those are the brands I typically use.

It's just oil. I'm not going to over think it. As for HM being just "marketing"....I think there's enough info around here to counter that to some extent....at least with some brands.

And why would I want to pay a premium for a 0/40 Euro oil, when M1 HM is the same price as vanilla M1 and comes in at nearly a light 40?
Umm. The 0w40 Euro car oil is the same price as vanilla Mobil1.

The first 175k truck got motorcraft 5w20 semi syn. and motorcraft filter. I have just changed to Castrol Full syn HM and a K&N filter and 10-12k or 1 yr change interval. I feel Castrol has a better add package and the filter is an upgrade as well.

I've always had about 3/4 quart consumption on a 7000k OCI on a 2007 Honda pilot EX 3.5L. I started using Maxlife HM and Mobil 1 HM about 40k miles ago, when I hit 110k. The HM made zero difference.
I can almost guarantee you that is because of valve stem seals in that engine. HM oils can really help with sealing some gasket leaks and cleaning up sticky piston rings over time, but don’t seem to help at all with valve stem seals. I have great luck with Maxlife HM on several other vehicles. I had the same engine in my Odyssey, same result as you. Good news is, now you know what the issue likely is.

Did you read his post? He said he didn’t know what was used before they owned it.

Back