Do direct injection engines almost require fuel system cleaners?

Supplied by CHEVRON . States on front and back of bottle . Use TECHRON 10 once bottle 1 or 2 times a year . Try to use TOP TIER gas as much as possible for the '18 ACCENT and its 1.6 Ltr. w/ D.F.I.. The 20 ounce bottle ( pictured ) would be a double dose of TECHRON 10 ounce for the ACCENT and its 11.9 gallon gas tank . KIA fuel system cleaner is the same as the HYUNDAI .

View attachment 129150View attachment 129151View attachment 129152
So if fuel never touches the back side of valves and the ports how could it clean them?

So if fuel never touches the back side of valves and the ports how could it clean them?
It doesn't.

It does keep the pistons/injectors/plugs/cc's clean which in turn yields a better running engine with overall less crud buildup everywhere. One can only hope that a good running engine leaves less to be deposited elsewhere.

You simply accept a physical cleaning (walnut blast) at some point over the ownership as a maintenance item. PEA-based cleaners help with the injector itself but nothing is going to get on the backs of those valves unless you spray it in through the intake (CRC makes one) and in the end, it's not going to do much. The concerns with this are a bit over-blown IMHO. At 75K my intake valves looked fine on my Sportwagen but was in there anyway so had them cleaned.

You simply accept a physical cleaning (walnut blast) at some point over the ownership as a maintenance item. PEA-based cleaners help with the injector itself but nothing is going to get on the backs of those valves unless you spray it in through the intake (CRC makes one) and in the end, it's not going to do much. The concerns with this are a bit over-blown IMHO. At 75K my intake valves looked fine on my Sportwagen but was in there anyway so had them cleaned.
Ya. it's way overblown.

It doesn't.

It does keep the pistons/injectors/plugs/cc's clean which in turn yields a better running engine with overall less crud buildup everywhere. One can only hope that a good running engine leaves less to be deposited elsewhere.
Less crud is a definite benefit. In my experience both the Theta II and the Nu engines generate a lot of carbon buildup; the main place I've seen it is built up in the cylinder head exhaust ports, but it's also why the oil in these things appears to be visually dirty relatively quickly after a LOF. If it's in the exhaust, it's in the cylinder, specifically the rings, and is likely a contributor to the oil consumption problems these all eventually face. Presumably, although obviously not helping with intake valve buildup, cleaner going through the injector would at least help keep some of the carbon buildup at bay and from clogging up the oil control rings. At least that's what I tell myself.

Back