Consumer Reports : Direct Injection at a price for fuel economy ( 2015 )

5 year old article. Not sure if it is still true, 5 years later--even for the problematic models that existed 5 years ago. Upgraded parts, better oil, better gas.

I also wonder if we aren't jaded and/or remembering the past with rose colored glasses. Auto repair shops have always existed, and been quite busy, for every decade that I'm aware of. And while I expect my vehicles go ever longer between repairs, I wonder where the limit actually is. It'd be great to go 200k without lifting the hood, but given all the parts under there, maybe that's just not going to happen, not in something that has to be made lightweight for mpg, and then actually be affordable to buy.

So, which manufacturers have modified their engines to allow for fuel wash over the valves.

With my admittedly rudimentary understanding of engine mechanics, I'm not understanding how oil choice helps with the carbon deposits associated with Direct Injection. Please explain.

So, which manufacturers have modified their engines to allow for fuel wash over the valves.

With my admittedly rudimentary understanding of engine mechanics, I'm not understanding how oil choice helps with the carbon deposits associated with Direct Injection. Please explain.
PCV oil vapor mixed with EGR gasses.

All this tech is certainly not what most manufacturers want. But government mandates are pushing auto makers to come up with every little eek in efficiency they can. I have a friend who is an engineer for a big manufacturer. He says the pressure and mandates on fuel economy are huge. It's the elephant in the room even when the discussion isn't about MPG

Bring back 0-60 times of 15-20 seconds and watch MPG skyrocket.

As usual CR does bogus job. BMW does not recommend fuel cleaners. Maybe KIA does, but they do not specify that .
CR is garbage.
Our hyubdai does reccomend a fuel cleaner if top tier is not used.
Dealers try to cram this down your throat every time we go in.
I use Redline or gumput instead.

D6690581-4D78-49C8-B93B-8FE4F51B5999.jpeg

It's almost more difficult NOT to use Top Tier gas now. You'd need to buy from a local Bobby's Convenience Store, or something.
Many times those indy Convience stores and gas pumps buy the ends of tanker trucks full of top tier fuel not wanting to return to fuel depot partially full. I worked at one briefly in university and we had Premium Mobile fuel in our regular tank because the haulers would cut us deals on smaller partial loads not wanted to head back to Boston or Portland Maine partially full.

Along with ignition distributors, drum brakes, vacuum wipers, and sealed beam headlamps.

Let us not forget points ignition and bias ply tires. Da*n technology has ruined cars I tells you, whatever happened to the days of endlessly fiddling with carbs, setting points gap, and using a timing light? It used to be that getting your car to start in winter was a fine art mastered a hardened select few, and now it's just a button to press.

Let us not forget points ignition and bias ply tires. Da*n technology has ruined cars I tells you, whatever happened to the days of endlessly fiddling with carbs, setting points gap, and using a timing light? It used to be that getting your car to start in winter was a fine art mastered a hardened select few, and now it's just a button to press.
If only we could go back to the days when a car that ran the quarter in the high twelves struggled to average 10 mpg...

surely tech improved many things at a cost + prolly even more "innovations" are available BUT until they can be cost affective they wont be used + as ALWAYS the buyer is the beta tester because like DI issues it takes years of real on road use to test + more years to FIX!!!

As usual CR does bogus job. BMW does not recommend fuel cleaners. Maybe KIA does, but they do not specify that .
Yes, BMW did, but it was only for some engine we don’t get here in North America, sorry, can’t remember what engine it was. The bulletin said to use BMW fuel system cleaner at every oil change.

surely tech improved many things at a cost + prolly even more "innovations" are available BUT until they can be cost affective they wont be used + as ALWAYS the buyer is the beta tester because like DI issues it takes years of real on road use to test + more years to FIX!!!
Bingo! And when they finally get it dialed in there's something new and the cycle begins all over again.

Finally- an articulate voice of reason.

Back