Do any of you listen to XM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any BITOGers listen to XM Satellite Radio? I personally like it very much. Better yet, it's free when you use it through AOL Instant Messenger, though the quality will depend on your connection speed. (I get OK quality through my 28.8K connection)

[ May 09, 2006, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: Bio-T ]

I like it. I am on my son's family plan for I think $8.50/month. Computer doesn't carry nearly all of the stations.

It's great. I have both XM and Sirius in the office, but I'm not sure which I will buy for my personal use yet.
Well worth the money to me, but it is another bill...

Scott

Yes, sadly, for anyone over 35, I think the glory-days of free radio are over.
It's impossible to even listen to music FM now.
AM news is still OK, but getting predictable.

Scott

quote:

Originally posted by ScottB:
Yes, sadly, for anyone over 35, I think the glory-days of free radio are over.
It's impossible to even listen to music FM now.
AM news is still OK, but getting predictable.

Scott

I would lower that age a few years. I'm 32 and can't stand any of the popular music channels anymore. It's either (c)rap that I can't stand or the same music I've heard about 100 million times already. In my car, I've taken to the local classical station. At least there, I know I'll hear good music. I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but I even sent in a donation to support them.
freak2.gif

XM is great, BTW. I have access to it at work. Liquid Metal and The Bone Yard are awesome. That's exactly the kind of stuff I listened to throughout high school. It's nice to hear it again. When I'm not in the mood for that, I can sooth my classical and jazz bone or flip around to whatever else I want, like comedy, news, new (alternative) rock, whatever.

I have Sirius (installed in my two cars).

I also have Music Choice and Rhapsody Plus (both included with Comcast highspeed internet).

quote:

Do any BITOGers listen to XM Satellite Radio?

I'm on the road constantly, & I don't know how I ever lived without it. I love the new Big Tracks channel.

XM! Bring back XM51! Rush, Porcupine Tree, King Crimson, TransAtlantic, Dream Theater... Yes, it's available on the XM internet feed, but not the same as hearing the entire "Fountain of Lamneth" or "Metropolis" on the way home from work.

XM is worth every penny. And they offer so many MLB games as part of the package! I enjoy baseball, so it's great for me!

I can listen to the White Sox win and the Cubs lose.
smile.gif

[ May 09, 2006, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: ToyotaNSaturn ]

LOVE IT,LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big tracks,Top tracks,Deep tracks,the joint,80's,XM202......Doesn't get any better!!

FM is dead and doesn't know it..

Got it for the first time when we bought our 06 Accord. And needless to say, I renewed it after the 90 free trail but thanks to a Honda forum, got it for 77 dollars for the year as a comeback promotion instead of the 124 dollars or so. I have my 12 channels programmed to all things "Rock"...new wave, old wave, old school, liquid metal, LUCY, etc. etc. But what I listen also to is 150, 151 and 153, comedy channels. Some of them are pretty funny. The only thing I don't like....sensory overload. There are too many channels to scan over.

Most radio stations get paid by large record labels (Sony, Def Jam, Mercury, etc) to pay a certain song over & over....basically you are listening to a commercial with music.

quote:

Originally posted by Matt_S:
I would lower that age a few years. I'm 32 and can't stand any of the popular music channels anymore.

Lower it a few more yet, since I'm 27 and can't stand FM radio. I just listen to the sound of my car in the city, and CDs on the highway. I'll probably get satellite radio someday though, since we have Galaxie satellite radio through our TV and I like it.

My comment about FM wasn't meaning that those younger may not dislike it, but those 35 and over can probably remember when it was GREAT.
Sad, but at least now we have options, and if FM doesn't get it together, which I doubt they will, it's over.
BTW, I thought I was the only one that knew about "Porcupine Tree"!!!

Scott

I have XM in my truck and had it in the wifes car. Never knew how important it was to my sanity till I had to drive her car after her reciever was cut off cause customer service stinks at XM (my only complaint). Will hopefully have the situation defused in the next few days, may try ShortBus' idea even, my wife has been griping at me to get it back.

We just got our second Sirius receiver today. houston radio is terrible, so I took advantage of a good offer to get a new unit for my car.

I have the entire set of the old Sherlock Holmes radio series (from the 40s, 50s and 60s) on cd. Too bad they don't have stuff like that on the air anymore.
frown.gif
I have three FM community radio stations that I listen to, but most of the time when I'm in the car, I honestly just like rolling the windows down and driving in peace. You don't always need to have the music on just cause it's there you know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back