DIY first time oil change toyota camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: engineer20

now I know to use a wrench but I'm still not too sure about filter tightness

Installation instructions are usually printed on the filter itself.

OP, just say NO!
happy2.gif

Tightened it with the wrench. Life is all about learning. This is a learning process.
Don't fgive up just because you fail at first. I refuse to take it and give my car up to others and wanna diy i may have made a few mistakes but we learn from them. Like the tortoise ans the hare.

Typed on my cramped phone keyboard

You tightened an oil filter on with a wrench?

Absolute lunacy.

1 hand tight. That's it. Easy to remove.
Good luck getting that one off.

Add this guy to the do not answer category. Even ght had more sense

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Add this guy to the do not answer category. Even ght had more sense

Too bad there isn't an ignore button for some users

Originally Posted By: KitaCam
re:jcwit
Then just poor manners.

Then the answer is " you have no answer".

What was "poor manners" on my part?

Page after page on how to do an oil change. This consists of removing a plug, draining the old oil, removing old filter,replacing plug & filter and pouring in fresh oil unto filler, oh, don't forget to remove cap before pouring in new oil.

Wonder what kind of a write-up we could do on how to boil water?

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Page after page on how to do an oil change. This consists of removing a plug, draining the old oil, removing old filter,replacing plug & filter and pouring in fresh oil unto filler, oh, don't forget to remove cap before pouring in new oil.

Wonder what kind of a write-up we could do on how to boil water?

+1

I can't believe what started over on the Toyota Nation forum has run(oh #*%@), now I have to conjugate the word "run" to keep from being blown up)for nine pages on BITOG. The Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati were big on verb tenses, saying the rosary and trotting a little miscreant, reprobate, hoodlum(all synonyms for sinner) over to see the Jesuits. The former and the latter scared old Hosteen straight for eleven years, that's for sure.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I can't believe what started over on the Toyota Nation forum has run(oh #*%@), now I have to conjugate the word "run" to keep from being blown up)for nine pages on BITOG. The Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati were big on verb tenses, saying the rosary and trotting a little miscreant, reprobate, hoodlum(all synonyms for sinner) over to see the Jesuits. The former and the latter scared old Hosteen straight for eleven years, that's for sure.

My set up here is running maximum posts per page so I'm @ 2 pages...didn't know it was 9 pages for the default display...WoW...

I am blown away that it's taken this thread so long for people to realize that the more answers given to Engineer20, the more questions he'll ask.

...I believe we at TN gave him all the advice he needed to change oil, as we did when he asked how to change his coolant...we tried there, just as we have tried here, to be sincere...but it's indeed given US pause to pray for sure...

Last edited:
I changed the Ford's oil successfully and hand tightened it but i saw a few drops of oil under the filter meaning there's a leak and the filter wasn't on tight enough, right?

A few drops of oil under the filter? Just where under the filter? On the engine side? At the top, or was it at the bottom? It might make a difference, and waist on the right side while facing the front of the car, what weight of oil did you use, was it a good filter or a bad one? Are you sure you got the right filter, was there any smell of gas? Did you put a new pcv valve on? That's very important when DIY, and did you use a good one, don't use one that comes in an orange box as some of them are known to be bad but not all are bad just some, you will have to visouly check them out. Be sure to chech where the hose connects to the valve as that might be important,but maybe not,just maybe if they used a good hose, some did,but you never know. How loose did you leave the drain plug, remember you will need to take it off to drain the oil the next time, be sure you don't get the plug for the atomic tranissionas you may have a mess on your hands and then you have to get the good bolts to refasted the pan to the transmission,some bolts are not as good as others. It's best to get bolts from AMCE bolt company in Hoboken, NJ, but you must speak to the right salesman to get correct bolts, I believe his name is Sam.

Back to the few drops of oil, how often does it drop? One drop every 30-35seconds or more often,if so how often, and what is a few, 2or 3or more than that, Ifs it's more like 5 or 6 every so often,it could be a problem,but then it just be a slight leag which could be normal. Did you use a new crush washer on the plug or is it the filter that's leaking? The filter seat may be defective, if so you may need to pull the engine and have the filter seat resurfaced, this is a simple procedure once the engine is out. It's helpful to hane a few extra hands to do this and be sure not to drop the engine. Oh yes and get ahold of Sam for new bolts, I'm sure he can get you the right ones,, be sure they have the right markings in the ends, those are the ones you will need.

Hope this helps.

Did you ever get that jack fixed? I sure hope so and is it working OK. Be sure to stand on the right hand side of the handle when pumping the jack up, its easier that way, when letting it down, don't do it all at once, that might stress the orfice in the jack and you would need special jack oil to correct that problem and the special oil is hard to find, I've only found it in California, it doesn't cost much but the shipping is expensive if you need it in a hurry. There are times they are out too as it comes from a special nut grown only on a very small island in the South China Sea, somebody told me once there are only 10 trees left that grow this nut and no male trees to fertilize the flower that only comes out every 4 years, so you see the problem.

Well good luck and check on that leak. Oh, one more thing, did you pour the oil onto the engine holding the bottle with your right hand or your left? That might be important also. But I'm not real sure.

Just thought of something else, if you use achinese crescent wrench you probably will round off the corners of the drain plug, but that's nothing major as you then can get a Chinese vice grips to grip the plug to remove it, it's pretty simple but can be confusing at times, if all else fails use a pair of slip joint pliers, Sam has those also, explain what you're trying to do and he will sell you the right size.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Just thought of something else, if you use achinese crescent wrench you probably will round off the corners of the drain plug, but that's nothing major as you then can get a Chinese vice grips to grip the plug to remove it, it's pretty simple but can be confusing at times, if all else fails use a pair of slip joint pliers, Sam has those also, explain what you're trying to do and he will sell you the right size.

Holy mackerel - whatever it is that afflicts this thread is contagious - jcwit has caught it - better have that looked at jc.

Bill G

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I'll type out the steps of what I do, so perhaps this will be of some help:

7.) Remove old oil filter. If a gorilla mechanic put it on last, it may be on there tight enough to warrant the use of an oil filter wrench. Make sure that the old rubber gasket from the old filter is not stuck to the engine block. Wipe down the mating surface where the oil filter's gasket connects with your engine block; after wiping some fresh oil on the rubber gasket of the new oil filter, screw on the new oil filter. Tighten this the same way you did with the drain plug, until it won't turn anymore without excessive force. Also, you may want to wipe down the engine block as old oil will likely be all over it and will leave old oil drips on your garage floor for a few days if you don't do this.

Did Engineer20 do THIS?...NOT DOING THIS would be my guess for where the leak if coming from, if the leak comes ONLY from the filter and there's no leak from anywhere else. If there's any leak from somewhere else, and if the drops become a puddle over night, YOU MUST have the car taken to a repair shop (towed would be the safest and most prudent way to get it there), where the leak can be found by a professional...and repaired.

Sometimes saving pennies costs a lot.

Last edited:
I changed the Ford's oil successfully and hand tightened it but i saw a few drops of oil under the filter meaning there's a leak and the filter wasn't on tight enough, right?

It means you better hit the gym, son.

It means that after 4+ pages in another forum and 14 pages here, it still leaks and you're still asking.

I'll stick with my recommendation of returning all the items you bought so you don't drop a car on yourself. Please go back to using the quick lube. You don't really belong under the hood. Also, not trying to be a jerk. I'm serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back