DIY first time oil change toyota camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Oh my God.

Yep.

K. Op

You've got a lot of questions. I suggest using the Haynes manual for instructions on all of the fluid changes.
First things first but a couple 2 ton jack stands. You are obviously young and I commend you for wanting to get hands on with maintenance so the first thing you must learn is SAFETY.
always use jack stands. Do not trust a jack for anything more than jacking up the car. Always chock the wheels,engage the emergency brake and support the front end with jack stands prior to getting under the car.

Safety first.
As far as oil goes I suggest using whatever brand you like in the correct flavour, in your case 5w-30. I like using the 0w-xx grades in the winter. For one they pump easier in the extreme cold we experience here and they last longer in service thus I don't have to get under the car til spring again.
A few tricks. The oil filter requires a few drops of oil on the rubber gasket prior to install. And you don't need to put it on gorilla tight. I use 1 hand and twist it as tight as 1 hand will get it. As soon as you feel the filter has met the mounting plate it only needs another 1/4 turn.
In all my years changing oil I've never had an oil filter leak with this method of install and they come off easily.
Now as far as filters are concerned I run filters for 10000 miles on a known clean engine. Look in the oil fill hole. If its clean inside without sludge then your good for 10000 miles. If using a fram ultra I run them a minimum of 20000 miles.
Other than that stuff just read your Haynes manual and follow the directions to the letter.

Conventional oils last 5000 miles. Synthetics run 10000 miles. It's just that simple. If you aren't gonna run a syn 10000 miles don't even bother spending extra on it. The whole point of a syn is for extended drains. Running a syn less than 10000 miles,unless the oem or driving conditions warrant a shorter interval,is stupid.

Last edited:
can you mix tranny fluids or power steering fluids, or should i drain all the old one out, because i know bad things can happen when you mix coolants with different chemistries
i cahnged the tranny fluid and ps fulid and brake fluid at 100k for the first time at the quick lube place
the tranny fluid in the camry right now is red
they said it was good until 168k
but i was thinking about doing a drain and refill with valvoline maxlife (red bottle) which is on sale at autozone for only 10.99 for a gallon jug!

What's wrong with the purolator filters? THey're bad now? I thought they were good and that fram orange can was bad

also, is the purolator classic good enough for a conventional 5k OCI or should I use a pureone even for a short OCI or are there no benefits in using a better filter for a short OCI?
can i use a bad/'cheap filter for a short OCI
or would i benefit from a good, expensive filter even if i'm using conventional and changing it every 3k?

Also, is an engine flush ok? motor medic engine flush or STP multipurpose ?

what about using oil additives like marvel mystery oil or stp oil treatment?

i replaced the valve cover gasket last year at around 137k miles

do I need to do an engine flush, and can I use bad oil or old oil or cheap oil like supertech conventional as a flush product? how do you do an engine flush with cheap oil and is one quart of oil enough for an engine flush, as i've heard of using old oil/bad oil or cheap oil as an engine flush before you add the real oil in.

As a Toyotanation member and moderator I would like to assure you all that we made every effort to assist Engineer20 in both his concerns:

...changing his coolant (over 10 pages of posts were made by him and those of us with advice on how to do a drain and fill with appropriate product)...and
...changing his Camry's oil, now into 4 pages of posts, including this post to address his concern about overfilled oil:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...._#Post3399840

His very next posting 2 hours later read:
"...the tech yesterday at the goodyear tire place claimed he added 4 quarts, but i checked the dipstick and it was slightly above the full mark. maybe they don't drain out all of the old oil?...
Anyways, overfilling has always been a problem for this car. Why do they do this? Which is why I decided, screw it, i'm going to DIY
those [censored] aren't gonna take my money for doing a terrible job anymore!"....

Despite our sincere, patient and persistent efforts to help him, he suggested that he come here, to which I responded with the above example, in all seriousness, as an example of advice we were unable to offer to satisfy his curiosity regarding alternatives to the our suggested Camry specified oils, filters, and coolants he wished to consider...

I thought my post would have satisfied his concern, but I guess not entirely, and so he has asked you all here for advice.

I think I can speak for those of us who tried to help when I say we appreciate any advice you can communicate to him. Thank you.

just change the oil with any of the oil and filters you have for 5000 miles you don't need any of the other [censored] you are trying to do.You must have severe OCD huh.Change the pvc and oil you will be good.................

Hilarious.

I'd love to meet this guy in person.

Also, all these posts were made within minutes of each other. Clearly just copied and pasted...

And just for the record:
Enginner20
"My car has 146k miles and I change the oil at the quick lube place or the tire place every 3-5k miles..."

Kitacam:

"Change your oil every 3000 to 5000 miles and ANY NAME BRAND 5w-30 rated SN will take your car's ENGINE to 250k miles... That's it."

That was on page 1, post 5 out of 48 posts so far...but I guess that wasn't it.

Well I will give my opinion on a few of the questions. For power steering I would never use a stop leak even if I had a leak. Steering is one part I will not take the risk. I prefer using ramps for oil changes when I can. Otherwise any jack should do the job, but make sure the stands are decent quality and always have them on level ground. Also make sure the jack is in a stable spot and be careful where you lift the car. The first time I ever used a jack, I crushed my fuel line with it. I didn't even know the lines where there so look carefully. I always test the stability before going under no matter how it is raised. And don't forget to chock the back tires. This is especially important if you use the jack that came with the car. The jack you bought should have a rubber or plastic plug on top of the cylinder to add fluid. Since you got it used and likely don't have the manual, I would look it up online there are some videos and manuals online. The FL-400s and the FL-836 are very close but not close enough that I would trust the seal, especially since they are the same price at most places. It looks like the seal may be too close to the edge of where it is supposed to seal. When I started using Motocraft and Delco filters I noticed the oil in all of our cars at least looks cleaner longer, as in it takes longer to turn black. Nothing scientific, but it makes me think they are working better. Using the 5w-30 the manual calls for is a safe choice as well as the manuals recommended oil change interval. I flush the transmission when the manual says to also. It makes me feel better. Especially since I am hard on my cars.

So far for my Focus I have been using cheaper oil and changing it more often because I am pretty sure the engine is contaminating the oil fairly quick and I enjoy doing them on the car. And it looks like an oil test costs about the same as an oil change. Curiosity may win and I might have one done though. Now if I decide to try a full synthetic and a longer interval then I will consider doing a test especially since I think it would be a test of weather or not it would be worth it on the other cars.

Last edited:
Life of the party!
cheers3.gif

You have gotten great advice already. Lots of good quality oils and filters out there for your Camry. I would drop the trans pan and drain fill a few times. Never a bad idea to have fresh ATF fluid. PCV change is a must...and cheap at that.

I drain/fill reservoir of PWR Steering fluid and brake fluid at every oil change. I also would not add a leak stop. Check the hoses near clamps often its a minor issue like that. I use MaxLife ATF in my 95 Camry and also use it as the power steering fluid.

Okay, I'm also going to take a stab at this, though to be honest I don't know why.

* Oil brand:
You bring up a lot of different brands and also mention things like "XYZ oil is cheap and bad" or "Pennzoil used to have wax", etc. Let's simplify this for you. All the big name oils are good (Mobil, Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, Quaker State, Shell, Havoline, Chevron, Kendall, Warren, etc.), seriously they're all good. Now some people might feel that one oil is better than the other, or one is a better value, but the fact of the matter is none of them are going to cause anything or allow anything to happen that one of the other oils would've prevented.

Your first post says you have Pennzoil Platinum (PP), Pennzoil conventional (PYB...it stands for Pennzoil Yellow Bottle), and Chevron (Chevron). All of them are excellent oils, all of them will protect your engine just fine.

Don't over think it, just stick with a name brand oil until you know more about the smaller oil companies.

* Oil Type:
As for if you should use synthetic or conventional, do some research on here and you'll see that conventional oils protect your engine just fine. Dino oil has gotten to the point where it protects basically just as well as synthetic oils. Where synthetic oils shine are in the extremities (extreme heat, extreme cold, extreme abuse, longer oil change intervals, etc). But for normal weather conditions, non-excessive abuse, and normal oil change intervals, conventional oil protects engines just as well. Since you're doing such short oil change intervals (OCI), conventional oil would work fine for you (even in Michigan winters). But this is an oil forum, so of course you'll see people arguing oils, or obsessing about oils, or using synthetic even though they know conventional oil would protect their vehicle just as well (I'm guilty of that).

So use either one. If using synthetic makes you feel better, then do that. If you want to save a few bucks, use conventional. You have a normal (non-turbo) engine, it doesn't sound like you do anything crazy with it, and you live where the weather conditions are pretty normal, so either one would work for you.

* Oil Weight:
Stick with the 5w-30 that your vehicle manufacturer suggested. Until you know better to make the decision on your own, do not use 5w-20 simply b/c someone else said you could.

If you want to use a 0w-30 you can. The first number being lower just means it flows better at cold temperatures, but it's still a 30 weight oil (the second number) at operating temps, which is what your manufacturer specified.

Do not expect any noticeable gains in gas mileage simply because you switch to a 0w oil. Yes, you can get a very minor improvement, but it's generally not noticeable, and it's only until the oil gets up to operating temperatures.

* Oil Change Intervals (OCI):
Until you know why you're deviating from it, stick with what your manufacturer recommended. Yes, most motor oils can go longer than that, but don't make a change on a whim. First learn about oil and understand why oil can last longer, then extended it out based on that, you can also get Used Oil Analysis (UOA) done which is where you send a sample of your used oil to a lab and they tell you the condition of the oil which will also tell you if it can be used for longer than you're running it.

It sounds like your OCIs are around 3k miles, which pretty much all modern oils can do easily. This is why I suggest checking your owners manual, because if it says you can do 5k or 7k mile OCI, then you might as well extend it out past 3k miles.

* Overfilling Oil:
In your engine, it's okay. Don't let it be excessive or anything, but if it's a half quart over, it shouldn't cause any problems. Same with being a half quart low. It's very important to note by "half quart low" I mean having the oil be a little under the Full line, but still well above the Low line on the dip stick.

Because of how it works, this is not the same on transmissions. You want to be as close to the proper level on your transmission as possible.

*Oil Filters:
You have a lot of questions about oil filters, and again were saying that some were bad or some were good. Similar to motor oil, stick with the name brands and you should be fine. Like when you said something to the affect of Fram orange cans are bad, it's not that they're bad. There are millions of cars driving around with Fram orange can filters and none of them are having problems because of it. When people bad mouth something like a Fram orange can, if you dig down into what they're saying, they're usually saying that for the price (or just slightly more) there are other filters that they feel offer better filtering and are therefore a better value.

You asked a lot of questions about filters, and the possibility of using the same filter across both your vehicles. I don't know if you'll be able to do that, but if you stick with name brand filters that are appropriately spec'ed for your vehicle, you'll be fine. Some oil filters that I like are Purolator (I use PureOnes), and Wix (or Napa Gold). Also the Fram Ultra line seems to be really good too. Don't get me wrong, there are a ton of good oil filters out there, but those are the ones I tend to stick with.

Side note on Purolator: As you read through this site you'll see that there have been a recent rash of Purolator filters having media tear issues, meaning that some unfilter oil was constantly going through the filter. I really like Purolator filters, but I've temporarily stopped using them until I see the issue has been resolved. It's nothing to freak out over, I simply will use a couple Fram Ultras or Wix filters until we stop hearing about media tears.

* Engine Flush:
Don't do it. Look at your owners manual and the manufacturer suggested maintenance. No vehicle manufacturer suggests an engine flush. As long as you're taking care of your engine, and doing oil changes at a reasonable OCI, then there's no reason to do a flush. In fact some people advise against it.

The same goes for Transmission Flushes.

* Transmission Fluid:
You mention your transmission a few times. I personally believe in doing periodic drain and fills on the transmission with approve transmission fluid. I don't believe in transmission flushes, and I'm very strict about sticking with approve transmission fluid. Do not simply change your transmission fluid to a different fluid on a whim. Transmissions are very picky, and need the specified fluid type for a reason. So just because you heard one fluid was really good, does not mean it's okay to use it in your vehicle. Stick with the manufacturer recommended fluid type (Merc, Dex, etc).

* Jack and Jack Stand:
Just do some research online and read reviews, you'll quickly start to figure out what's a good price, what are good brands, and which have issues with them.

A very important note: No matter what anyone tells you, or what you think, *NEVER* get under a vehicle that's being supported by a jack. *ALWAYS* use jack stands when you're going to be under the vehicle. It's rare, but jacks do give out suddenly, and you don't want to be under the vehicle when that happens.

* Power Steering Fluid:
Some, possibly most, manufacturer's say to use ATF fluid in the power steering (PS) pump. Follow what your owner's manual says, but don't just go putting fluids in, make sure it's the spec that your vehicle manufacturer says. I find the easiest thing to do, is periodically suck the fluid out of PS reservoir. Depending on your vehicle, you can do this with a small pump, or something like a turkey baster. I periodically pump it out and refill it. If I'm going to do it a couple times back to back to make sure I get most of the old fluid out, I take it for a quick drive and make sure to turn the wheels all the way in each direction before pumping it out again. This ensures that the fluid mixes, and that you're not just pumping out new fluid and replacing it with more new fluid.

* Spark Plugs and PCV valve:
You're coming up on 150k miles and you still have your original spark plugs and pcv valve? Personally, I'd look into how to change them and would make the change as part of routine maintenance.

I see the OP is getting some good answers. Wish I lived close as I would walk him through it, and when done he would go, "Man that was easy".

At this point, were talking about an 11 year old car thats worth about $2500. Oil is the last of your worries, just throw the cheapest on sale dino you can find and ...

wait, what!!?? Just continued reading. You wrote a doctorate level thesis about an oil change on a $2500 car. WTH?

Originally Posted By: engineer20
I also saw from rockauto that the motorcraft filter i should use is the fl836. but this has no "s" and I know "s" stands for silicone and the silicone anti drawback valve is what makes the motorcraft filters so good.

The Toyota 2AZ-FE engine has a vertical base-up mounted oil filter. Therefore, the material that the anti-drainback valve is made of is not of concern. The filter actually does not even need an anti-drainback valve, as the oil will stay in the filter when the engine is shut off.

I agree with the others that you are over thinking this. Just use the fluid recommendations from the owners manual, and look at youtube videos to learn how to do it.

I'm worried about overfilling because, all this time, in 10 years, the car has been overfilled and there was a leak and i replaced the walve cover gasket last year
was the overfilling of oil, what had caused this?

maybe they didn't overfill but just didn't have the time to let all the oil drain out, so they then put in 4 quarts and theee was more than the capacity so it read above full on the dipstick

or is it that I have a bad dipstick and need to get a new dipstick? How much are those and can I get it from the dealer?

I looked underneath the oil cap and the metal was brown and it seemed to have varnish and sludge whcih is why I wanted to DIY it and join this site so I can protect my car and make it last longer.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
At this point, were talking about an 11 year old car thats worth about $2500. Oil is the last of your worries, just throw the cheapest on sale dino you can find and ...

wait, what!!?? Just continued reading. You wrote a doctorate level thesis about an oil change on a $2500 car. WTH?

While it may seem silly to some forks to be worried about a low value car, I personally have a Ford Focus that is probably worth less than a thousand bucks. But I really like that car and want it to last without spending a ton of money on it. My daughters car is worth about $2000. She just plain can't afford a new car so she needs to make it last.

So think about it this way. If you have a car and can't afford to replace it, and know nothing about oil and have had little to no experience working on cars, it can be a little overwhelming figuring out where to start. Add in bad experience with shops and the way some shops use fear of impending failure to up sell service it can be hard to know what your car really needs or is beneficial.

Valve cover gaskets just don't seem to last on 4 cyl Fords and Toyotas. If it lasts more than 75-100 thousand miles, I would say you got lucky. It's usually more annoying to you more than a problem for the car. As long as its not pouring out or running all over the exhaust. For your over filling concerns, How much over full are you talking? a little bit is no big deal. While my Toyota Experience is with older cars, They tended to be more forgiving than most with stuff like that. I used to fill one car I had a quarter inch over full on purpose because it leaked a lot. It had 265k miles on it and ran great when the body by the motor mount rusted through. Even if your dipstick where bad which I seriously doubt, thats the level they would have used to fill it. Are you making sure the car is level when you check it? Are you checking it cold or hot? Are you wiping the dipstick good when checking it? Also if you check it too many times in a row, oil will run up the tube and may make the level read higher on the later readings. I wouldn't worry too much about whats on the cap as long as it's not milky white.

thumbs up jmb3675!

Thanks for your understanding. At toyotanation, people mocked me and I felt some disrespect, but you totally understand my situation. I'm in my twenties and simply don't have much money and have to pay off my debt from college, and I grew up with this car as it's a hand me down from my parents, so I also like the car as well, and I'm tired of being jipped by the shops I've been going to.

i check it on a flat surface in a garage after it's been sitting overnight, since I heard oil was still in the system after you run it and you must wait for hours before you get an accurate dipstick reading

i'm not saying what's on the cap, i'm saying the "sneak peak" i get under the cap is brown, unlike the taurus where it's silver and metally, whereas the camry, under the cap (in the engine) looks varnished rather than silver like the taurus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back