DIY combination wrenches

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are your suggestions for a good combination wrench set for the DIYer and weekend mechanic around the garage/house?

I'd like to stay under $150 for a full set of metric and SAE combination wrenches.

The latest chinese made craftsman ones are junk. After spending my life working with tools i no longer use junk. Yes new is expensive but wont fail you. Check yard sales and pawn shops for good stuff

Whatever brand you get for your primary set, supplement them with Gearwrench ratcheting wrenches for the core sizes.

I've bought the sets of four for as little as $10. 10/12/13/14mm or 3/8,7/16,1/2,9/16

Last edited:
The new Harbor Freight wrenches are actually pretty darn good. You can get the better quality ones that are top notch wrenches. A lot of the new "Chinese" wrenches are better than the Good Ole Wrenches of past. Stanley makes nice wrenches at Walmart, for a good price. A lot of mechanics wont give the "Chinese" wrenches a chance, yet they are so quick to comment on them. I think you will be content with higher quality wrenches at Harbor Freight or Stanley and be downright over joyed at the price.

Other than Snap-On, its hard to say with certainty that one brand is always going to be excellent anymore.

Sears still has good stuff, but they also have low-quality stuff that isn't always clearly distinguished from the high-end line.

Kobalt has been very good and was made by the same company that made lifetime-guaranteed Craftsman tools, but now have a different supplier. Generally I still find their products to be well-made, many (but not all) are still US made. That last part also applies to Husky tools from Home Depot.

To be honest, its not exactly high-tech to forge a good quality combo wrench, and the Chinese foundries are certainly capable... when they aren't allowed to cut corners. :-/ Once you've held and used high-quality forged tools, stuff that's not quality gets pretty obvious. Its lighter, either much rougher or excessively smooth due to thick (but often imprecise) chrome plating. It just "feels wrong," and honestly that's kinda my best guide for hand tools these days. Wish I could be more helpful.

Sometimes the quality wrenches weigh less b/c they use better steel. Read up on garagejournal about the cheap "lobster claw" open end wrenches that substitute weight for alloy.

I splurged on some Craftsman Pro long pattern during one of their better sales. (They're always on sale, just sometimes better than others.) Shopyourway adds various little incentives and secret sales you can stack. These rock. But kobalt does most of my sockets. When sears isn't on sale you can get the same stuff from amazon or elsewhere online as "Armstrong industrial."

Just watch the sale section of garagejournal, you'll be broke.
wink.gif

Check out Tekton wrenches on Amazon, Taiwan made (I think) but they get pretty good reviews and I understand that their customer service is excellent. You can get both sets of SAE & metric combos for just under $100.

I like and own USA Craftsman Professional combo sets in both SAE & Metric, mine are about 17 years old, made by SK Tools. They've never let me down and I do more than average wrenching at home. Not sure about the quality or COO (if that matters to you) of newer C'man stuff though...

More choices than ever today, good luck!

another vote for Tekton, they are chinese knockoff whatevers but i've ordered some long wrenches from them and they are nice.

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer
What are your suggestions for a good combination wrench set for the DIYer and weekend mechanic around the garage/house?

I'd like to stay under $150 for a full set of metric and SAE combination wrenches.

Whatever brand you chose, your core tools should be as good as you can afford. When you pick one up you enjoy the feel of it. You'll own them your whole life, good tools don't cost much looked at like that.

Williams is who snap on contracts to make their blue point stuff. I bought a perfect ratchet set, 8-19 3 and 6 in ext, swivel, and ratchet for $37 on amazon and it is dead ringer for my bluepoint stuff

And for that matter blue point wrenches are cheap on ebay

I almost mentioned Williams (Asia) too and might be a good choice, I've heard mixed reviews... To bad their USA stuff is out of OP's price range.

The Chinese Craftsman are just terrible junk. Its a crying shame really. I USED to buy hundreds of dollars worth of tools from Sears every year. Now I won't set foot in a Sears, and certainly won't buy made in China tools at made in USA tool prices. They moved all their tool production to China and didn't lower the price accordingly - STRIKE, YOUR OUT!!

I can't wait for Sears to go the way of Wards and Circuit City.

To be honest, the premium set of Harbor Freight wrenches are much nicer than Craftsman, cheaper, and include many more sizes. They are a good budget set, and this is coming from a guy that hates Chinese tools.

Gearwrench makes a really nice set for the price.

The older Napa Professional series and current Carlyle Professional series wrenches from Napa are really nice for the price. I got a new set on eBay of both sets for CHEAP, like $40 or so.

Wright tools made in USA wrenches are a decent set of made in USA tools. Not too expensive either.

Williams makes a nice set. So does Proto. And Mac. And Snap On.

Check eBay for closeout tools or slightly used sets and you can get a steal of a deal if you know what you are looking for.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Wright tools made in USA wrenches are a decent set of made in USA tools. Not too expensive either.

Williams makes a nice set. So does Proto. And Mac. And Snap On.

Check eBay for closeout tools or slightly used sets and you can get a steal of a deal if you know what you are looking for.

Full sets of Wright or Williams USA combo wrenches are around $200+ per set. Depends on what your definition of "expensive" is but that's 2-3 times more than the OP is willing to spend.

Wright, Williams USA, Proto, etc...GREAT tools but good luck getting 2 full sets of SAE & Metric wrenches for less than $150, used or otherwise. I wish...

Last edited:
Yesterday I returned a couple rusty craftsman wrenches I bought from garage sales, they were exchanged for made in USA wrenches, some of the bigger sets are China stuff

Even so I'll gladly buy a rusty wrench at a garage sale for a 25c piece and exchange it for a new wrench, Chinese or not

That being said you are not a professional mechanic
spending 3000 for snap on is completely unnecessary

I would buy harbor freight in a heartbeat for occasional homeowner/diy use

Last edited:
China made Craftsman does not impress me. I was in Sears, recently, and they were blowing out their stock of Dewalt branded wrenches and sockets. I read some good reviews on the Dewalt tools and the sale prices that I just saw would get you their large set for about $150. Keep your eyes open and you may get lucky and find a great deal on some closeout and overstock tools.

-Valentine

I have done brakes, timing belts , water pumps, replaced starters all with free Chinese craftsman
They are all still 100% fine

What do you need them for?

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Williams, Wright, Blackhawk, SK.

Please post a link to where the OP can buy two full wrench sets from the above manufactures for $150 or less...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back