Distilled vs Kinetico Filtered Drinking Water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I'm curious as to something. I'm curious is Kinetico filtered drinking water an acceptable substitute for distilled water in a radiator? The mechanic who used to work on my car said that's what he uses, so I figured it can't be too bad.

It is a drinking water unit. All of the water goes through a large filter, and then the drinking water goes through this Kinetico unit on the wall. I'm not sure of the exact chemistry or how to find that out, but it doesn't leave any buildup in my Keurig machine after using it for several years.

Upload the pic to imgur.com and then you can post the link/picture.

I found this pic of one of their drinking-water RO systems.
http://images.consumerreports.org/produc...aterstation.jpg

9673-waterfilters-kinetico-k5drinkingwaterstation.jpg

Last edited:
Kinetico is a reverse osmosis system and probably should be okay for a radiator. If it was also de-ionized it shouldn't be used in a radiator because DI water is hungry for ions, especially metallic ions.

Another instance of someone who parrots back something they heard.

Distilled and DI water is fine for cooling systems, as recommended by every auto manufacturer I have ever seen. The water will quickly absorb metallic ions from the inside of the engine (and become saturated), an amount that is so miniscule to be immeasurable. The only time DI or distilled water is damaging to anything (due to leaching) is over a long period of time and only with flowing fresh supply (such as the output from a still). Never ever in a closed system.

Besides, what do you think RO does? Maybe you can explain it to us.

Originally Posted By: loyd
Kinetico is a reverse osmosis system and probably should be okay for a radiator. If it was also de-ionized it shouldn't be used in a radiator because DI water is hungry for ions, especially metallic ions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back