Classic car coolant

I've wondered about Evans as well. The 100% glycol isn't great at heat transfer. I wonder if my radiator is big enough? But that is a direction I'd love to explore if it wasn't $200 to get there.

I remember a combination Ford/Subaru dealer where I asked at parts whether or not they had Subaru Long-Life. They said they didn't carry it and used the Ford yellow, low-silicate coolant for any coolant service, but recommended it be drained every year or so. Silicate isn't in and of itself that bad, but if it's not changed often it will come out of suspension and will tend to plug up narrow passages in smaller radiators. That's why Japanese automakers typically used phosphates, no silicates, and recommended low-mineral or deionized or distilled water be used to mix.

As for what might be suitable, I don't think it has to be anything terribly expensive. If Prestone still had its traditional yellow coolant, that would probably be ideal. They still sell something close under the "Prime" brand.

Or maybe Full Force conventional green.

Preview

Napa still has a conventional green coolant. Not sure who makes it though.

Believe NAP
Would the Evans Waterless coolant work for this? I have always been curious about it. I have heard a lot of museums use it.
Water Wetter and distilled would be the best for heat transfer-as long as subfreezing temperatures are NEVER a possibility. The Peak 10X (mentioned above) looks promising, I've used it in conjunction with MC Specialty Yellow/Prestone AMAM with Cor-Gard-but I would wait for someone else to try it in an original IAT green system before I was brave enough to try it myself! Also, a coolant filter seems to be an excellent addition to an old green system, using "blank" filters, it will catch the excess silicate that will drop out of old school green & prevent the lower radiator tank from turning into a sandbox! Water pump seals last longer without the extra silica in solution as well, and the "solder bloom" seen in older brass radiators & heater cores is caused by a combination of hard water & silica, eventually restricting flow enough to require acid boil-out, rodding, or recoring (a lost art on passenger cars/light trucks these days).

Last edited:
What's wrong with the Peak 10x? I've switched my Buick LeSabre to this after changing-out the gaskets and other things. I couldn't go with teh Dex-Cool as I've read too many opposing viewpoints. Peak 10x does not have 2EHA and is readily available and not expensive. (I'm not in any way an expert on coolants, just wanted an alternative to the Dex-Cool.) Peak apparently recommends it, correct? Just my 00.2cts.

Any coolant is better than old school green IAT since the old formula's would have the silicates dropping out and the service life is very short. Choose whichever coolant you like, and don't be afraid of Dex-cool or the Dexclones since 2EHA is not a problem and it's used in plenty of coolants without issue.

Some new coolants don't play well with leaded solder and brass. At least that is what I'm told. Hence asking on here.

I was a mechanic for many years, and I went through the mid 90s with the GM Dexcool debacle. I won't put that in anything, ever. I have an FCA work van and I flushed the Mopar Dexclone out of that when it was new. Has Peak Global in it now. The radiator was leaking and I had to replace it at 1 year old. Was just over the 36000 mile factory warranty. So I put in an aftermarket radiator and PG coolant.

2020 Promaster 2500, and this is was in December 2021.

This is at a friend's shop as the 9 foot tall van wont fit in my garage.
20220202_144512.jpg
20220202_144521.jpg

John Deere Cool Gard II is my go to for everything that doesn’t get OE (in our case, my S-10, BMW, and Hondas all get OE coolant).

It’s a HOAT that is designed very well and is an advanced version (IMO) of good old G-05. Very compatible, very stable.

Some new coolants don't play well with leaded solder and brass. At least that is what I'm told. Hence asking on here.

I was a mechanic for many years, and I went through the mid 90s with the GM Dexcool debacle. I won't put that in anything, ever. I have an FCA work van and I flushed the Mopar Dexclone out of that when it was new. Has Peak Global in it now. The radiator was leaking and I had to replace it at 1 year old. Was just over the 36000 mile factory warranty. So I put in an aftermarket radiator and PG coolant.

this post crashed and burned

I noticed some white buildup on my 2 year old aluminum radiator. I'd like to use something other than. The IAT green stuff and have a better life cycle for this car which has a lead soldered brass heater core, and all iron engine.

Ya know, my old Toyota Supra has the same mix of metals - iron block, aluminum head and radiator, soldered brass heater core with brass piping. I suggest you consider Toyota Red, since you have the same mix of metals and Red does a great job with that. Clean out the system thoroughly before changing coolant chemistry. Do not use Toyota Pink premix. The newer Asian coolants, like Zerex's, won't do well either with that iron engine.

What's wrong with the Peak 10x? I've switched my Buick LeSabre to this after changing-out the gaskets and other things. I couldn't go with teh Dex-Cool as I've read too many opposing viewpoints. Peak 10x does not have 2EHA and is readily available and not expensive. (I'm not in any way an expert on coolants, just wanted an alternative to the Dex-Cool.) Peak apparently recommends it, correct? Just my 00.2cts.
The only issue I have with Peak 10X is there is pretty much ZERO information about the chemistry, inhibitors, or anything. In a newer vehicle, with aluminum everything, yes-but I’m not going to be the Guinea pig on an older cast iron engine, soldered radiator/heater core, or on a diesel (esp. one requiring SCAs like my 7.3 IDI). Has anyone ever seen an MSDS on 10X yet?

View attachment 93462View attachment 93463
That’s a lot of work just to change a radiator! Although I imagine the big Transit probably isn’t much easier.

View attachment 93462View attachment 93463
When you flushed the Dexclone out when the van was new, what did you replace it with?

There are some vendors that publish their ASTM D1384 and D2570 results. Those should show the coolant's behavior on metals they will likely contact in the cooling system. Aim for the one with the least corrosion of the metals that you're worried about, and meets the other specs you need.

That reminds me of my 1959 Edsel that I had in the 70's I restored it enough to get 2nd place at an edsel event in Reno back when Harrah had the museum and show in Reno. Those were the days. It had a Frigiking under dash AC and when I crossed part of Death Valley it was 123 degrees out side and 71 in the car. My 292 got me 23 mpg when we had real gas.

Back