Discount tire only balanced the inside of the tire.

I got tired of arguing with them. I told them their is no way all four tires don't need any weight on the outside. I guess they were using a mixture of what they called hammer weights on the inside and tape on weights inside the rim. Makes me wonder why they didn't do this from day one instead of messing the rims up.

Do your rims have outer flanges that accept clip on weights? Some do not. And some people prefer the clean look of not having visible weights.

Do you have an actual vibration or is your complaint more theoretical?

Are you happy that they did it right this time vs the last time when they "messed your rims up" by putting weights outside?

And remember, "Discount" is literally in the business name. Expect cosmetic issues unrelated to the performance of the tire-- it still sounds like a quality installation.

Do your rims have outer flanges that accept clip on weights? Some do not. And some people prefer the clean look of not having visible weights.

Do you have an actual vibration or is your complaint more theoretical?
No they've been using the lead pound on weights for years on my aluminum alloy rims, just curious as to why they changed it. Somehow they didn't understand that I was fine with the standard pound on weights, that way you can tell when they fly off. I was just irritated that they didn't understand what I wanted and I finally just told them do it however way they usually do it. People always misunderstand me no matter how many times I ask. Like the time I had someone work on my truck and the bill was $1000 more than I was expecting even though I asked multiple times, so is this the total amount? I get their to pay the bill. Oh no that was a separate invoice. In the beginning that was a deposit for parts I thought?

No they've been using the lead pound on weights for years on my aluminum alloy rims, just curious as to why they changed it. Somehow they didn't understand that I was fine with the standard pound on weights, that way you can tell when they fly off. I was just irritated that they didn't understand what I wanted and I finally just told them do it however way they usually do it. People always misunderstand me no matter how many times I ask. Like the time I had someone work on my truck and the bill was $1000 more than I was expecting even though I asked multiple times, so is this the total amount? I get their to pay the bill. Oh no that was a separate invoice. In the beginning that was a deposit for parts I thought?
If people constantly misunderstand you then isn't the logical conclusion that you are the problem?

Why would you want weights on the outside/visible part of the wheel? I have 6 cars and two trailers. None of them have weights on the outside all on the inside/towards the under side of the car or taped on so I don't have to see them or clean around them. The Trans Am has never thrown a stick on weight even all the times it has been down the 1/4 mile. If you throw a weight, you won't need to see it, you should be able to feel it.

Why would you want weights on the outside/visible part of the wheel? I have 6 cars and two trailers. None of them have weights on the outside all on the inside/towards the under side of the car or taped on so I don't have to see them or clean around them. The Trans Am has never thrown a stick on weight even all the times it has been down the 1/4 mile. If you throw a weight, you won't need to see it, you should be able to feel it.
It's just what I'm used to seeing on my truck. Owned it since 07

most people complain about having ugly weights on the outside

No functional problem at all, just not what you're used to.

Curious how often you have weights fly off?
Must be the particular discount tire I always went to. I'm curious how it came from the factory like that though.

Wheel design dictates the style and type of weight to be installed. Here is an example of a wheel that uses a clip-on weight on the inside of the wheel and adhesive weights on the outboard side. Note that both weight go on the inside of the wheel but this is compensated by the machine when the balance planes are selected. It is also very possible that the wheel did not need any weight added to the outer plane.

wheel.JPG

Back