Discount Tire stopping distance ratings believable?

Trying to choose tires is a challenge for me. So when I found these charts for wet and dry stopping distance at discounttiredirect - I was intrigued. They don't show them on the regular discount tire web page - for locally purchased tires.

Do you think this is believable?

I realize this is vehicle dependant but I presume if I compare 2 tires it should give some insight? They don't have them for every tire, but they have them for many. Interestingly the chart below is from a very inexpensive Milestar Patagonia H/T, and its one of the best wet stopping tires that has a chart?

Thoughts? Should I put any weight in this?

1701996227176.jpg

I’m skeptical of those charts, I have a hard time believing a Milestar tire has the best wet stopping in its category.
While Milestar tires have progressed into one of the better “budget” tires, I’d take that with a grain of salt.
The tire rack has much more scientific data with their testing. I strongly recommend spending time reading customer reviews.
I’d be willing to bet the profit margins are higher on “off brand” tires.

I’m skeptical of those charts, I have a hard time believing a Milestar tire has the best wet stopping in its category.
While Milestar tires have progressed into one of the better “budget” tires, I’d take that with a grain of salt.
The tire rack has much more scientific data with their testing. I strongly recommend spending time reading customer reviews.
I’d be willing to bet the profit margins are higher on “off brand” tires.
They weren't the absolute best, but really close. There dry stopping wasn't actually that good - but wet was close to the best The very best were the Firestone LE3's. I have had Firestone LE2's and they had excellent wet weather traction. The second best were General Grabber HT60 - and I have those now - and they have excellent wet traction also - but I would never buy them again because 3 were replaced in warranty for out of round / won't road force balance.

Thanks for the heads up on tire rack - i'll check that out.

safest wet performance choice is Continental and Michelin.
I would generally believe you, but the Michelin Defender LTX is below. Its considered "best in class" for this segment, and I actually believe there not the greatest because a good friend put them on his F150 and didn't think they were all that great.

Continental doesn't offer much in these size, but the General Tires are rated well (A conti product). However the set of Generals I have now were not good tires - out of round issues. Traction is very good though.

I don't know - its hard to choose a tire. You would think someone could come up with some sort of science?

1701998815234.jpg

I would generally believe you, but the Michelin Defender LTX is below. Its considered "best in class" for this segment, and I actually believe there not the greatest because a good friend put them on his F150 and didn't think they were all that great.

Continental doesn't offer much in these size, but the General Tires are rated well (A conti product). However the set of Generals I have now were not good tires - out of round issues. Traction is very good though.

I don't know - its hard to choose a tire. You would think someone could come up with some sort of science?

View attachment 191975
Defender LTX are probably best seller in this segment, so not sure what was an issue.
Generally, Michelin keeps longest initial performance. Plus there is new Defender LTX M/S2 on sale since October.
General is Continental product, but it is step down. It is their budget product.

I like the tire rack customer reviews because you can drill down by vehicle model. I was looking for a quiet tire and I’m very happy with my choice (based on reviews of people with the same car).

The Govt requires a wet traction test and rating on every tire, AA, A, B, C along with speed rating, tread wear and temp. These should be printed on the sidewall of the tire.
I guess there should be actual numbers from the standard tests, not just the broad classifications that contain a range of numbers. So you could estimate relative stopping distances from actual test score, but that only applies to that particular surface.
I think broad classes are used because pavement and conditions are very variable so specific test numbers don't mean much in the real world.
The AA rating is hard to get though, as not many(any?) tires with the mud and snow rating have AA wet traction?

Defender LTX are probably best seller in this segment, so not sure what was an issue.
He said they didn't have much traction. When you drive around in an empty pickup truck all day its pretty easy to figure out. Good friend, zero reason to tell me anything other than his opinion.
General is Continental product, but it is step down. It is their budget product.
They do have a cross contact H/T. The rating on it is just slightly worse than the Grabber HTS60, which is second best to the Firestone LE3 - according to this test. Maybe the conti's are round at least. :ROFLMAO:

He said they didn't have much traction. When you drive around in an empty pickup truck all day its pretty easy to figure out. Good friend, zero reason to tell me anything other than his opinion.

They do have a cross contact H/T. The rating on it is just slightly worse than the Grabber HTS60, which is second best to the Firestone LE3 - according to this test. Maybe the conti's are round at least. :ROFLMAO:
Michelins use a hard tread compound, and on the back of an empty pickup truck, i can see where his complaints would come from

View attachment 191975
From some reviews it appears that Michelin may not be the best in all performance areas, but I think overall they are a long wearing tire that maintains what performance is there a long time versus other tires that are better in some areas, but wear down quicker leading to longer stopping distances etc. The Michelins I’ve had have done good rarely needing repair other than premature dry rotting.

Their TerrainContact H/T has absolutely best-wet performance numbers. @The Critic and @OVERKILL I think have them.

DTD states that their data is gathered from empirical testing performed at Cooper's test track in Texas, and their model also includes user data.

They don't disclose their testing procedures, nor how their algorithm works, but at least their numbers appear to be based on real world testing.

Tire Rack's testing program is more highly disclosed, and also include subjective impressions that DTD lacks.

Trust one, the other, both, or neither? That's up to the shopper, but on the face of it, standarized testing does provide a reliable foundation, under specific and repeatable circumstances, which random user reviews do not.

But also keep in mind that standardized tests (like UTQG and brake pad friction ratings) are performed under specific generalized test conditions, do not attempt to represent all conditions, and are more useful as comparative factors, not absolute factors.

Consider multiple data points, and weigh them accordingly in your evaluations.

So this all makes sense. Tire like the Michelin Defender LTX M/S has a harder compound so it doesn't have as great a stopping distance, however that performance will last longer due to the harder compound - which also increases the mileage rating. Intuitively makes sense and the DTD tests seem to match this - sort of.

I still think there is a better scientific way to do this, just no one chooses to. I don't put a lot of faith in individual reviews because how many tires does one person test? Someone gets tires, there but tells them there good or bad - but they have no reasonable comparator or measurements to judge.

Thanks for the input!

Their TerrainContact H/T has absolutely best-wet performance numbers. @The Critic and @OVERKILL I think have them.
I have used different versions of the Michelin Defender/MS/MS2 and had good experiences with them, but tried the Continental HT one time due to better stopping distance ratings. I took the Continentals back in short order due to higher levels of road noise and put the Michelin Defender LTX on that took care of the noise problem. I run Continental tires on my other vehicle with good results. The guy at discount seemed to act like the continental truck tires were not as quiet as the other offerings from Continental. The Continental tires I’ve bought there have always been a special order from them. Just my experience.

Back