Disappearing brake fluid?

Check the calipers, I had mine slow leaking on the front right caliper causing my fluid level to go down, yet I had no drip on the floor. The fluid dropped on inside of the rim and mixed with brake dust causing it to cake up on the inside of the rim.

Doesn't matter. Engine vacuum will immediately pull the brake fluid out of the booster, into the intake manifold to be burned...LOL...
No not Necessarily immediately nor necessarily completely. And if it it were the exhaust would smoke and you would small the burning brake fluid. Work on several flooded boosters 😉

Not necessarily, I've just evacuated the booster as much as I could & replaced the MC with great success on many GMT800/GMT900 trucks without issue.
Why didn’t you opt and would have made more sense to pull the booster split the case and at least cleaned if not replace the diagram.
I guess it saves labor and parts expense.

Yes, it does.

I'm dropping it off later today at a shop that I trust. 2 bottles of fluid in 3 weeks, not one drop on my garage floor...

Frustrating...
Doesn't matter. Engine vacuum will immediately pull the brake fluid out of the booster, into the intake manifold to be burned...LOL...
+1 and diaphragm will be shot as the fluid will swell the hell out of it. And I have never found a replacement diaphragm for a brake booster so you are replacing the entire booster.

No not Necessarily immediately nor necessarily completely. And if it it were the exhaust would smoke and you would small the burning brake fluid. Work on several flooded boosters 😉
Yes, I wonder about this too. Burning brake fluid has a distinct, strong, nauseating odor you'll never want to smell again. If the engine were burning it at the rate the OP is losing it, he'd smell it. With today's brake systems, taking the vehicle to a shop is the best advice.

+1 and diaphragm will be shot as the fluid will swell the hell out of it. And I have never found a replacement diaphragm for a brake booster so you are replacing the entire booster.
The diaphragms are available while not really so much advertised on the retail level I get them through various wholesale suppliers which mostly sells to rebuilders. But they are available. You can get them through your local auto parts chain if you have a good Parts countermen also through NAPA parts distributors/retailers. You can also contact brake part component companies that offer new brake boosters and they may sell to you?.

Turns out the brake line from the ABS system that runs behind the gas tank has a small hole. It's been filling the frame. The gas tank that I just filled will need to be dropped to replace the lines...
wow ok That is amazing. This is absolutely something I have never seen or heard before. wow!!!!
What are the odds?

Well glad you are getting it fixed and THANK YOU for updating! (y)

wow ok That is amazing. This is absolutely something I have never seen or heard before. wow!!!!
What are the odds?

Well glad you are getting it fixed and THANK YOU for updating! (y)

I'm not shocked as the car spent the majority of it's life in Chicago. Unfortunately the rust has really taken to the under carriage. The top side of the car looks great. All the brake lines were replaced EXCEPT the ones that went from the ABS system as they ran on top of the gas tank...

Thanks for updating us! Not what I expected, for certain.

I once had a line spring a leak on top of the frame by the gas tank. But it didn’t use any fluid, just went from working fine to having the pedal go to the floor, and the subsequent dripping fluid was easy to trace…

Turns out the brake line from the ABS system that runs behind the gas tank has a small hole. It's been filling the frame. The gas tank that I just filled will need to be dropped to replace the lines...
How did that happen? I know GM trucks have a tendency to eat through brake lines if they see road salt or similar things in the winter.

did you use Ni-Copp or coated lines to replace them? Spraying on some wax-based(RP-342) or lanolin-vased(Fluid Film) rust proofing on the new lines after they’ve been installed and bled might not be a bad idea.

Back