dino vs synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kuato
For our winter climate, definitely synthetic.

This^

Our winters are brutal,so synthetic is what I stick with,period!

Originally Posted By: Zeus103363
Post your prefrence and why. Dont forget to keep score at the bottom.

My preference is synthetic, and because I just like that added security.

Synthetic =1 : Dino=0

Synthetic or Synthetic blend

+1

Originally Posted By: Zeus103363
Post your prefrence and why. Dont forget to keep score at the bottom.

My preference is synthetic, and because I just like that added security.

Synthetic =1 : Dino=0

Synthetic. A. Because both of my engines need it; the TBSS requires it and it's recommended for the Jetta. B. I prefer synthetics over dino for a few different reasons.

Its so ridiculous that whatever side some ppl are on, they find the need to denigrate the other side in the same sentance.

Not dircted towards anyone in particular, just a general observation of a select few who participate in polls.

Last edited:
I prefer and now use synthetic oil in all three of my vehicles. Last year two vehicles got synthetic oil and the beater dino oil. Now that I was able to get rid of the beater and get synthetic oil for just about the same cost as dino, all three run on synthetic. Having said that, the highest mile vehicle I ever owned and cared for ran on dino oil the entire time I owned it.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I look at the wear metals in the UOA section and I don't see any better
wear numbers with synthetic -- often times even worse in many cases.

It's too bad wear numbers in an UOA are not indicative of real wear.

Originally Posted By: Capa

You are welcome to provide whatever evidence that you have to show us the difference in "real wear" bewteen dino and synthetic.

Synthetic, vehicles see lots of short trips and extreme temps in both summer and winter. Although this summer, it was pretty mild. Have a feeling Mother Nature will make up fot it with some very extreme low temps this winter!

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

You are welcome to provide whatever evidence that you have to show us the difference in "real wear" bewteen dino and synthetic.

If a UOA doesn't provide clear insight of actual wear, then why pay all the money for the test?

Run conventional for 3k do a UOA.
Then run a synthetic for 3k, do a UOA..

Betcha the synthetic will come back with lower wear numbers and have much much more life left in it..

If a UOA doesn't provide clear insight of actual wear, then why pay all the money for the test?

OCI (i.e. lubricant condemnation) and contamination from fuel and coolant.
wink.gif

+1 'in many cases'.

But I do think they're is a place for synthetics as well.

Last edited:
I'm saying synthetic too, primarily because I like the way my truck runs on QSUD (Though, I wouldn't be adverse to trying PYB in it, may end up doing that after doing my 2nd UOA on this oil)

I switched back to Dino two years ago. The inside of the engine looks just as clean as it ever did. It still doesn't use any oil. I've been doing 5k changes just because it is easy to go by the OLM. I will switch to Maxlife after this next change. MY wifes 2004 has had nothing but dino. I've been using different dinos at 5-6k. When we got it with 66k, the old lady who had it before serviced it at midas every spring. It's on its second maxlife oil change now that will get changed out at 6k. It uses less than a quarter of a quart during that time.

Originally Posted By: Flareside302

Run conventional for 3k do a UOA.
Then run a synthetic for 3k, do a UOA..

Betcha the synthetic will come back with lower wear numbers and have much much more life left in it..

I seriously doubt there would be any real difference between the 2 at 3000 miles. In fact I'd even go as far as saying there's very little difference at 5000 miles.
Synthetics last longer in service. They aren't magic. Its oil. They both are.
Syns have some advantages such as cold flow and better tbn retention however if 2 people had identical engines and used them in an identical fashion ,the only difference being one person is using a syn and the other a mineral oil and both running 5000 mile drains I'm pretty much positive there wouldn't be any difference in engine life. Both oils being the same brand therefore the same additive package and the only difference is the basestock.
I find it amusing reading posts like this and the confidence the poster has,when in reality they've never actually checked and just figured because an oils synthetic it somehow reduces wear dramatically

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back