dino vs synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mental fuzzy warm feeling of Zeus' "security" with full synthetic oil does not work for me.

I use dino in everything.

[but I don't have any turbocharged vehicles]

Originally Posted By: SJohnson
2 with dino and 1 with G-OIL.

Dino: 16
Syn: 10

Are we now counting individual vehicles?

You get what you pay for in general terms with engine oil and if you use supermarket dino oil rather than a leading brand of fully synthetic oil your engine will know the difference.
The same applies to cheap oil filters and it is always best to use a genuine manufacturers filter as the copies are often not as good.
The viscosity rating is very important and if you car gives choices like saying 0/40, 10/40 or 15/40 are all approved, pick the multigrade with the widest range.
Some cars require specific oil type approvals and you do need to confirm that the oil you choose has them. This is very important for more modern high performance cars.

Originally Posted By: skyship
You get what you pay for in general terms with engine oil and if you use supermarket dino oil rather than a leading brand of fully synthetic oil your engine will know the difference.
The same applies to cheap oil filters and it is always best to use a genuine manufacturers filter as the copies are often not as good.
The viscosity rating is very important and if you car gives choices like saying 0/40, 10/40 or 15/40 are all approved, pick the multigrade with the widest range.
Some cars require specific oil type approvals and you do need to confirm that the oil you choose has them. This is very important for more modern high performance cars.

This is a poll not why conventional is superior debate.

Armada -- Synthetic

F-150 -- Blend

Camry -- Dino

Dino - 18

Synthetic -- 12

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Armada -- Synthetic

F-150 -- Blend

Camry -- Dino

Dino - 18

Synthetic -- 12

Lol. This poll is going nowhere. What do you do with the users that use both and possibly prefer each given one on a specific vehicle.

I guess it did not occur to OP that perhaps some people will choose their oil according to engine type, driving conditions and manufacturer's recommendetions instead of warm and fussy feelings
wink.gif

Last edited:
I used to be hardcore about synthetic oil but in recent years I have stopped seeing the point. Except in motorcycles with shared sumps. Then its pretty useful. Dino all the way for this guy

Dino +1

You have to pick the right horse for the right course. My car, climate and lifestyle are perfect for conventional oil.

Synthetic oil is better, but using it would be like wearing designer Italian slacks to shovel manure in a barn. It might boost one's self-confidence, but it really ins't contributing anything useful to the task at hand.

Dinosaur.

Originally Posted By: HappyLittlePony
You have to pick the right horse for the right course. My car, climate and lifestyle are perfect for conventional oil.

Synthetic oil is better, but using it would be like wearing designer Italian slacks to shovel manure in a barn. It might boost one's self-confidence, but it really ins't contributing anything useful to the task at hand.

Dinosaur.

You say "synthetic oil is better". For the slight differance in cost between dino and syn and the several advantages a quality synthetic gives over dino, and considering the hudge investment in vehicles these days, why go on the cheap for the life blood of an engine?

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: tig1

You say "synthetic oil is better". For the slight differance in cost between dino and syn and the several advantages a quality synthetic gives over dino, and considering the hudge investment in vehicles these days, why go on the cheap for the life blood of an engine?

Because apart from extreme weather conditions (i.e. over 100 degrees F outside or 0 degrees F outside) or extreme pulling or terrain (mountains, boats and RV hauling), synthetic really has no advantage over dino. Dino is cheaper and often you can find a steal on them. Synthetic works out to be a pretty good deal in the long run, but not everybody keeps their cars for that long.

Anyways, we are getting off topic. Continue the poll!

Old vehicles that burn/leak oil-dino. New vehicles that are worked hard, don't use much or any, and need to be started in cold weather-synthetic. +3 for dino, +3 for synthetic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back