Dino to Synthetic this Winter, can I run synthetic longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
background: i run Mobil Clean 5000 for 5k miles on my car, which is about every 2months. Car doesn't burn oil, is quiet, has 88k miles, looks clean inside valve cover, is parked outside during winter in Canada.

I would switch over to synthetic M1 5w30 or GC 0w30 this December end. Can I run it till the end of winter which is about April (4 months) or about 10k miles? or do I have to change mid-way around February? Reason is I do my own oil change but I don't have a garage, so it sucks to do it on snow.

You may want to check into purchasing some ESSO XD3 0W-30 or 0W-40. The 0W-30 is available from ESSO distributors and the 0W-40 is available at Walmart in a 4L container for about $23. It is a very good PAO synthetic with a 12+ TBN and will handle an extended OCI over the winter months with ease.

As long as consumption is not an issue, I'd put M1 EP in & not think about it again until Spring.

If consumption is an issue, I would probably let a trusted mechanic handle the oil change(s) during winter, & just keep it topped up myself.

Go with the XD-3 for 4 months. Perhaps 0w-30 for the winter and 0w-40 for the summer (or not ..either since "start up" wear - regardless of how you define it- isn't a big part of your wear equation). I'd do a UOA over the winter session and see if 6 months looks doable. Then you're down to two OCIs a year. That type of mileage can't be done off highway. Not without destroying the vehicle in some other manner, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back