Dino Oil Engine With Fram filter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Anybody that thinks they know ,knows that an engine will not last over 50,000 miles running dino oil.

... And even less with a Fram filter!
smirk2.gif

my 1995 dodge spirit just turned 234000 km today engine and transmission never touched except head gaskets on engine current one is leaking a little coolant.what make of head gasket are going to use.

A Chrysler OEM one came off the engine that was put on in '03 by some shoe-maker mechanic it looks like from the job he did.

We will be using a Chrysler-OEM again, because they are great quality gaskets that don't normally cause issues if done right.

Too bad you are in BC, would love to take the car off your hands.
20.gif
They are nice cars, easy to work on.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Some parts of the engine have a thin layer of varnish. Its probably the cheap oils and 6K OCIs. Do you know if the "cheap oils" were SM rated?

By being fifteen years old that means it likely was fed SJ oils at some point.

It will be interesting to see my Santa Fe fed 99.9% synthetic all it's life after a pile of miles with today's modern oils...

I will be posting pics here for sure... I just need a valve cover gasket to leak so I have an excuse for pictures.
LOL.gif

i currently have a mopar heavy duty gasket only got 2 years on before this leak started aslo installed new head bolts and washers torque to yield bolts.they are a very underated car lots of room in them,out here in the west the bodys dont seem to rust as well. i still areon the original rear brake shoes, originalexhaust oci every 2000 miles or 3months with luberfiner filter 10/30 castrol in summer 5/30 in winter.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
A Chrysler OEM one came off the engine that was put on in '03 by some shoe-maker mechanic it looks like from the job he did.

We will be using a Chrysler-OEM again, because they are great quality gaskets that don't normally cause issues if done right.

Too bad you are in BC, would love to take the car off your hands.
20.gif
They are nice cars, easy to work on.

They are! I had a 1988 LeBaron GTS hatchback. It was a great car, very comfortable inside actually as well! and actually performed pretty well on all aspects even including handling, with the 2.2 T1 engine and 15" wheels. I miss that car
frown.gif
it had 265k kms when I traded it in on another car. Engine mechanically working like a charm.

The 2.2's were a great version of this engine. My dad used to have an Omni with the 2.2 and a Holley Carb. Couldn't kill the thing!

they aslo fairly cheap to operate gas wise and to buy parts for. going to try new oil filter i bought for 2.50 cdn of course made in china but does not look to bad it is iso approved as well.
\

Then you'll want to come and get some. Make sure, though, that it is the SL/CI-4 stuff. The new CJ-4 stuff is seriously weakened.

Stevie - thanks for posting - love pics like these! Restores my faith that my 7-8k runs w/dino don't do my Cavalier any harm! The cylinder walls look good - still can see some cross-hatching on them!

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I don't know... I was just told that the car had seen 10K KM (6K Mile) OCI's with whatever was the cheapest oil and a Fram filter.

Most likely Canadian Tire Supreme or Autolab. Both of which I believe are made by SOPUS for them to their specification. Can't confirm this though...

Also the car is a '94 so it most likely saw other things other than SM rated oils as the car is 15 years old and it sat for 1 year at one point.

Before about 2000 (not sure) C-T oils were Esso oils. Then it became all SOPUS oils. Being a '94, most of the oil it has seen was SJ and SL.....

Don't you guys understand? 80 changes of Mobil 1 at $2400 would have helped the owner "sleep better at night".

MobilMan.jpg

Since the filtration isn't the best with a fram, I suspect there's fine scratching that has been unnecessary.

My dad had a 94 caravan with this same motor and the 3 speed automatic trans.

The car ran great. He ran the original timing belt up until 160k miles, when it broke. He had that replaced, then drove the thing over 200k.

The entire body rotted itself apart, and he had 2x4's and drywall screws holding the sliding door shut.

The final straw was when the fuel pump quit, and we had to wack the fuel tank with a hammer a couple times to get it to start.

Too bad we don't live somewhere without road salt, my father might still be driving that hulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back