Difficult choice - Esso XD3 vs. Mobil 1 0W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by TDD:
A block heater is a given up here :cool: Factory installed by default on any Canadian vehicle from what I recall.

I'm afraid not (not for Hondas, Toyotas, and lower-end models of other brands).
cool.gif

The XD3 is a 4x4L package....I believe the Mobil is in a 6x1L configuration...and the price is not insignificant as I mentioned earlier :cool:

Do I read from the cSt figures above that the XD3 is slightly thicker? Does this translate into better protection, or not?

All things considered, the XD3, with its price advantage, does easily equate to a "free" bonus change within a set interval against the Mobil, so what is the issue?

I think the Mobil is great, but the marketing behind it surely drives the final price up. I cannot recall a single XD3 ad anywhere unlike the M1 brand.

Kev.

quote:

Do I read from the cSt figures above that the XD3 is slightly thicker?

Yes, the XD-3 is thicker at all of the temperatures shown in the chart posted by 427Z06 on page 1 of this thread.

quote:

Does this translate into better protection, or not?

IMHO, yes...but you'll get folks that will say just the opposite.

quote:

The XD3 is a 4x4L package....I believe the Mobil is in a 6x1L configuration...and the price is not insignificant as I mentioned earlier :cool:

Do I read from the cSt figures above that the XD3 is slightly thicker? Does this translate into better protection, or not?

All things considered, the XD3, with its price advantage, does easily equate to a "free" bonus change within a set interval against the Mobil, so what is the issue?

I think the Mobil is great, but the marketing behind it surely drives the final price up. I cannot recall a single XD3 ad anywhere unlike the M1 brand.

Kev.

Not many folks here judge an oil based on advertising. The proof is in the oil... ie... analysis.

quote:

Originally posted by bobo:
I don't think that the recent converts to XD3 would agree with the best for the engine point.

=================================================

I've read a few extended drain analysis on XD-3 here recently that were not so great. If you want to change your oil as least as possible, EP mileage claims makes up for the XD-3 cost savings.

Just my opinion....

Specifically where did you read the extended drain analysis on XD-3? I ran a search yesterday in the UOA and VOA forums and found no such thing. In fact, Olympia has a 40,000 km UOA on one of his taxis in Saskatchewan and he could have extended the OCI buy a considerable distance.

I call BS on the above statement.

quote:

posted by Triple_Se7en:
I've read a few extended drain analysis on XD-3 here recently that were not so great. If you want to change your oil as least as possible, EP mileage claims makes up for the XD-3 cost savings.

Right now there are only claims for EP,
I haven't seen any 15,000 mile or 1 year UOA for the Mobil 1 EP products yet,
and I haven't seen any bad Esso UOAs.

I agree with bobo...

Also, is the Mobil 1 sold in quarts or liters in Canada?

When I purchased my Esso, they were liter containers (33.81 oz) compared to Mobil 1 quarts (32 oz.) in the states,
buying 12 liters got me almost 3/4 of a quart more product,
if you purchase 16 liters, you get are close to having a extra quart of oil
grin.gif

[ August 26, 2005, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Bill ]

The Calgary Esso/Exxon Dealer is

Miller Ag Supply
9906 Barlow Trail SE -
(403) 279-4451 (you want the oil desk if you phone)

xd3 0w-30 is around $4/L whether you buy it in the 1L bottle or 4L jug. They also have all of the Mobil 1 and other Esso/Exxon Mobil lubricants.

I think you have your answer!

1 litre == 33.814oz == 1.0567 qts
this is directly out of the "Webster Dictionary" along with the "Random House Dictionary" (yes a Imperial quart was bigger-don't remember by how much), but a litre is smaller than the old Imperial quart yet bigger than a quart)

Just purchased my case(4x4 litre)supply of Esso 0W30 for $4.55 + tax and fees.
Local Ford dealership wanted $$$$16(
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
) a litre for 5W20 synthetic.

I want Esso XD-3 Extra so bad, that as soon as my oil reserve runs out (7 more oil changes), I'm going to make the trip up to Canada and buy 72 quarts! Adding in $.25/mile, which is a high estimate for operating my car, especially on the highway, the Esso will come in at about $4.50 US/qt. Now I just need to use up the oil I already have!!!
mad.gif

I thought that I was going nuts until I did some research on Google. An Imperial fluid ounce and a US fluid ounce are not the same size, consequently the conversion to litres isn't even the same.

quote:

Originally posted by gudmund:
1 litre == 33.814oz == 1.0567 qts
this is directly out of the "Webster Dictionary" along with the "Random House Dictionary" (yes a Imperial quart was bigger-don't remember by how much), but a litre is smaller than the old Imperial quart yet bigger than a quart)

quote:

Originally posted by Palut:
I want Esso XD-3 Extra so bad, that as soon as my oil reserve runs out (7 more oil changes), I'm going to make the trip up to Canada and buy 72 quarts! Adding in $.25/mile, which is a high estimate for operating my car, especially on the highway, the Esso will come in at about $4.50 US/qt. Now I just need to use up the oil I already have!!!
mad.gif

Good call, but why not check out some of the awesome stuff to do north of the border while you're at it.

BTW, better do it soon. The 5-year currency futures are predicting a Canadian dollar almost on-par with the US dollar, which means your money won't go very far here.

Off topic, but if the price of oil keeps rising, which stimulates the Canadian dollar, and the US twin deficits continue to mount, a US/Cdn$ par relationship may well unfold.

It may well be President Bush's legacy to his country.

quote:

Originally posted by pitzel:

quote:

Originally posted by Palut:
mad.gif

Good call, but why not check out some of the awesome stuff to do north of the border while you're at it.

BTW, better do it soon. The 5-year currency futures are predicting a Canadian dollar almost on-par with the US dollar, which means your money won't go very far here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back