Difficult choice - Esso XD3 vs. Mobil 1 0W30

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDD

I have two choices here for my new '05 Subaru Outback H6 engine....help?!

Going to 0W30 is a given, as we are about to enter the deep cold here (-30C) in a few months, so that is a no-brainer.

My dilemma is the choice between these two fine oils. I use the XD3 0W40 in my diesel Jetta with great success.

The Subaru calls for a GL3 energy conserving oil; it appears that the Mobil 1 meets this requirement, yet the Esso does not (according to the oil donut).

Should I be concerned about the difference? Which oil will be there for me?

The price is almost $2.50-$3.00 cheaper per L going to the XD3, BTW...

Kevin.

Excellent choice either way but personally I'd opt to save the $$$ and go with XD3. Neither oil meets the manufacturers warranty requirements though. XD3 because it's not energy conserving and M1 because it's not a 5w30. I use XD3 in my cars right after the factory fill and I don't lose any sleep over it.

Support a Canadian product. Use the XD3, 0W30. I am also switching to it following my AutoRX clean and rinse.

You are not compelled to tell the dealership what oil you are using and if you don't get them to change it, that's your prerogative.

At least the Canucks get one break :cool:

Does Mobil (I assume they do) add extra friction modifiers to squeak into the "Energy Conserving" class over the XD3? One would think both being the same V-range (more or less) that they will perform the same.

I was shocked at the difference per/L when I asked the dealer myself...certainly makes for a compelling reason to buy the Esso.

He also said it sells like "wildfire" and *tons*of it leaves the door daily - fleets and whatnot scoop it up.

Looks like the XD3 will be the winner for the gasser...filters are another story :cool:

Thanks for the feedback so far - and to come.

Kev.

welcome.gif

quote:

Does Mobil (I assume they do) add extra friction modifiers to squeak into the "Energy Conserving" class over the XD3? One would think both being the same V-range (more or less) that they will perform the same.

I'm not 100% sure how this works but I assume since XD3 is intended for diesel engines, Esso simply never had it tested to see if it would pass the energy conserving test. Tests like that cost alot of $$ and have to be passed on to the consumer.

welcome.gif
fellow Subie owner! ('05 STi owner here).

If I could get it, I'd try the XD3 in my STi...I think it would work great in your Outback. A nice, "thick" 30-weight oil, similar to German Castrol Syntec 0-30 (which I'm using in my STi now).

Actually, if you are selecting a 0W-30 for cold weather use, the GF-3/GF-4 energy conserving rating tends to loose significance.

Fuel consumption will increase more due to cold temperature factors than the theoretical 1.5%-2.5% gain from use of an energy conserving oil.

Cold tires, increased drag from cold lubricants, and higher volatility of winter gas are all factors.

Most GF-3/GF-4 oils are specifically formulated to pass the Sequence VIB fuel economy test, which uses a 5W-30 PAO as the reference oil.

Since XD-3 0W-30 doesn't meet the zinc/phos requirements of GF-4, I doubt that it was formulated to pass the fuel economy test.

Some data to help with your decision:

code:

Calculated Kinematic Viscosity in cSt

T(C) M1 0W30 * Esso XD3 0w30

-20° 1994.8 2962

-10° 872.4 1250

0° 428.3 595

10° 231.3 313

20° 135.3 179

30° 84.6 109

40° 56.0 71.0

50° 38.8 48.4

60° 28.1 34.5

70° 21.0 25.4

80° 16.2 19.4

90° 12.8 15.1

100° 10.3 12.1

Well I guess the XD3 I am switching to should serve me just fine as it never gets much below -10 Celsius (+14 Fahrenheit)at the coast of BC where I live, nor does it get much above 30 Celsius (86 Fahrenheit) in the summer.

Can we assume that the XD3 with a slightly thicker run will offer more protection or is that relevant?

It will be a year-round oil, and will be exposed to +30C down to -35C or so...we only see the real deep freeze at the -35C area for about 3 weeks total in the winter, so it is not that bad - the rest of the time is a downright balmy -20 or so until spring comes...

Kev.

A block heater is a given up here :cool: Factory installed by default on any Canadian vehicle from what I recall.

It seems to me that the XD3 is winning the war; if nothing else, the much cheaper price would allow for more frequent oil changes over the Mobil for a given constant $ budget per year.

With the extended drains, I believe that once per year would be sufficient? Filter changes twice a year on top of that?

Kev.

quote:

Originally posted by TDD:
It seems to me that the XD3 is winning the war; if nothing else, the much cheaper price would allow for more frequent oil changes over the Mobil for a given constant $ budget per year.

Yes, your Yankee friends to the south are very jealous of you Canucks.
grin.gif

IIRC, many people use XD3 0w30 with good results in your climate. Many people also use an oil pan/block heater for the coldest weather there. Keep in mind the rest of the fluids that have to deal with those temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back