Different Formulations/Different Countries

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read the posts on the German Castrol synthetic 0W-30 which is different from the US stuff. I also have linked, in another topic an Australian website that indicates that the Castrol 5W-30 is an ACEA A3. The Syntec 5W-30 available here is A1. Is this just Castrol or is this common to most companies. Are we being shafted, or am I putting too much into the ACEA ratings? Here is the Australian link again. Austrailian Castrol

quote:

Originally posted by gblrklr:
I have read the posts on the German Castrol synthetic 0W-30 which is different from the US stuff. I also have linked, in another topic an Australian website that indicates that the Castrol 5W-30 is an ACEA A3. The Syntec 5W-30 available here is A1. Is this just Castrol or is this common to most companies. Are we being shafted, or am I putting too much into the ACEA ratings? Here is the Australian link again. Austrailian Castrol

Since the late 90s, Castrol's only "synthetic" oil marketed in North America has been a Group III oil. Everywhere else in the world, Castrol's synthetics have remained PAO/ester based oils. This new "Made in Germany" 0w30 Syntec now on shelves in the US and Canada is nothing but Castrol Formula SLX which is imported in bulk and bottled here in Syntec bottles.

As for other companies, Shell routinely blends different oils for different continents. Mobil does the same thing, but the Mobil 1 0w40 is reported to be their one, true "global" oil which is the same no matter where you get it.

Are we being shafted? Well, the NEW red label 0-30 is the European SLX 0-30 formula which is ACEA A3 rated. So just stay tuned.

As far as the other oils...the playing field is different N.A. to Europe. Different market....different competitors. The oils are only as good as they have to be...as good as you're paying for them. Remember, oils are generally $10/L in Europe. The other Syntec grades....eg. 5-40, 5-50 and 20-50 are ACEA A3 rated. The 5-30 and 10-30 are in the same category as it's competitors. I just believe that the red label 0-30 will show Mobil just what Castrol is capable of. Hopefully some other Euro Castrol products make their way over.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

As for other companies, Shell routinely blends different oils for different continents. Mobil does the same thing, but the Mobil 1 0w40 is reported to be their one, true "global" oil which is the same no matter where you get it.

I don't believe 0w40 is the same worldwide. Look at:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000478
the 5w50 has much more moly and zddp. In the US all viscosities have the same additives. So if our formulation is the global formulation, not thiers....I think I know which I would NOT pick if I was over there.

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

I don't believe 0w40 is the same worldwide. Look at:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000478
the 5w50 has much more moly and zddp. In the US all viscosities have the same additives. So if our formulation is the global formulation, not thiers....I think I know which I would NOT pick if I was over there.

Jason, please point out where there is any mention of Mobil 1 0w40 in that thread.

Also, your assertion that in the US all viscosities have the same additives is simply false--if you mean they all have the same QUANTITIES. The grades of Mobil 1 that meet the GF-3 specs will all have roughly the same amount of zinc and phosphorous, but the 15w50 has a lot more than the others (no GF-3) and the 0w40 has more calcium than any other grade of Mobil 1. Take a look at this post on the VOA forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back