Different brand tires right and left side.

As I said before, there is no proof that this will cause any issues or that it's unsafe.

That's wrong, dude. There's plenty of proof, you're just too lazy to look for it
and I'm too as I'm convinced you're completely resistant to any kind of advice.
Buying non-matching used tires is a waste and so is this discussion. Why did
you even ask?

That's wrong, dude. There's plenty of proof, you're just too lazy to look for it
and I'm too .
If there is plenty, it would be easy for you to show, dude. I already posted proof of the opposite which says state inspection has no problem with it.
Buying non-matching used tires is a waste and so is this discussion. Why did
you even ask?.
Maybe reread the post as I said NOTHING about putting non-matching tires on. It's about putting different brands of tires on. Also, I didn't ask for advice.

If there is plenty, it would be easy for you to show, dude. I already posted proof of the opposite which says state inspection has no problem with it.

It's the same effort for me as it is for you. Why should I perform your work?

Maybe reread the post as I said NOTHING about putting non-matching tires on. It's about putting different brands of tires on. Also, I didn't ask for advice.

So why did you start this thread? Because you had some spare time?

Wouldn’t two used pairs of tires have potentially different levels of wear between one another?

I’ve always been told that if you are on a budget and need to replace one tire on a 2wd vehicle and all the tires have some wear on them then you should just replace its axle mate as well and then just do front to back rotations to spare the diff potentially being damaged by two different radius tires driven at speed. Personally I think from an aesthetic perspective it looks better to have tire brands matched on the axle so that from the front and rear the tread pattern looks identical.

Doesn’t surprise me that the car is driving straight, Top Gear or Fifth Gear did a video on tires ages ago and with all different brands and all different wear at each wheel, the car still drove and tracked straight and true. Mismatch doesn’t bother me much if I’m buying an old car but I’d probably steer clear if the mismatch was side to side, seems like a schlock sales technique.

Asking me isn't an answer to my question. I don't fear anyone biting, I'm
just surprised someone isn't willing to give an answer to a simple question.

Putting the tires side to side like that IS a safety issue you think UHP all seasons will grip the same as those hankook kinergy gt in all conditions..
That is just one of the reasons you run pairs on axles. just because joe cheapwad had steel belts showing on 3 tires doesnt mean your idea is good.

For zero cost you could have a safer better configuration but you dont because.. you are so resistant and argumentative.(made bitog safe comment there I hope)

atikovi is trolling must be a slow day on the redneck/halfbaked car repairs and flipping. he is trolling you all with this post for his amusement.

And he knows it hence the exploding heads comment. There is no post in here that can convince him of anything.. which brings up why post at all.. unless for amusement.

Last edited:
Open diff and different radius/circumference - it will be ok.
Different traction - it will be ok until it is not ok - usually at most inopportune time.

Do as you please but if I ever have a crash with other vehicle and I survive checking the tires of the other car is one of my first priroties, brakes second.

Krzys

They’re consumer reviews, but they still have a huge disparity between them with the Continentals being rated far far better. Tirerack hasn’t tested the Hankooks themselves. Oof.

565C02CD-5E70-42E3-85B9-ACFF42EA83F3.png

8A7F58CE-3518-4DE4-9040-2A128E738E00.png

Stomp on the brakes in a few different conditions(wet/dry, old or new pavement) and see if one side engages ABS consistently sooner than the other. If not, then I guess odds are they are close enough. I'd practice some slalom and at the limit trail braking into a few corners too, to see if once side does anything nasty compared to the other. For driving in snow I wouldn't mix tires by side or by axles.
Heck, doing some avoidance maneuver practice probably outweighs any differences in tires for 3 season driving, the loose nut behind the steering wheel is a bigger factor than small differences between the tires.

Atikovi,

Your cars your choice. I would run two different makes on each axle. I've been doing that for snow tires on my wife's car. Normally I have all four tires the same since I normally rotate tires every 6-7k miles.

Some people I know never rotate tires. So a FWD car has the fronts worn down and the rears are ok. They just buy 2 new tires for the front and motor on.

They'll wear differently and handle differently, unless you're quite literally the luckiest person on the planet.

Can't really see a problem here except there could be some traction difference in the wet. Just put the Michelin up front. Say to yourself that more aggressive pattern in front suite fwd better.

Just got a pair of Bridgestone Blizzaks for the Acura in signature --- only for the front at $203 a pop with shipping. Have all season radials on the car now but when snow comes -- the Blizzaks will be put on. My Aunt and my Grandparents used to just put snow tires on the front of there front wheel drive vehicles and all worked out well during the winter. Not like the Acura is AWD anyways.
I did that way back in college (1987) on my '83 Honda Civic. My dad only used 2 forever on his cars so that was what I was going to do. Shop recommended to use four matching, read the manual etc but my money and they would do just 2 as requested. 1 week later I spun out driving under the speed limit on a light dusting and just missed getting hit by a truck on a 2 lane mountain road.

That weekend I bought the matching 2 for the rear and new shorts with no skid marks.

My parents and sister cars also get 4 since then. My Civic was the first front wheel drive we owned. Dad was used to going slower and sliding at stop signs and turns (but did slide off a couple times) in their RWD cars. He learned from me at that point and said how much better the car stops and turns in winter, not just start and accelerate.

Atikovi,

Your cars your choice. I would run two different makes on each axle. I've been doing that for snow tires on my wife's car. Normally I have all four tires the same since I normally rotate tires every 6-7k miles.

Some people I know never rotate tires. So a FWD car has the fronts worn down and the rears are ok. They just buy 2 new tires for the front and motor on.
The problem with this is that the better tires should always go on the rear.

Back