Differences in Akebono ProAct Brake Pads? Chime in

It's time to change the brake pads on our 2014 Acura MDX SH-AWD.

Looking at the Akebono ProAct pads for the front and rear shows two separate offerings.

Akebono ProAct Ultra Premium Ceramic Brake Pads Part No: ACT1281
Akebono ProAct Ultra Premium Ceramic Brake Pads Part No: ACT1280

Akebono Pro-ACT Ultra-Premium OE Ceramic Brake Pads Part No: N1010284024AKE
Akebono Pro-ACT Ultra-Premium OE Ceramic Brake Pads Part No: N1010284028AKE

Looking at the stock photos at the AAP website shows the ACT1280 and 1281 come with shims where the other part number does not. Is it safe to assume the N1010284024AKE and N1010284028AKE are the identical pads to OEM I would purchase from the Honda/Acura Dealer and the ACT1280 and 1281 pads are made for the aftermarket offering?

Why do the "aftermarket" offering come with the shim kit and the "OEM" offering does not?

Do I have to use the supplied shim kit if I decide to go with the "aftermarket" offering? Consequences of brake squeak/noise if I don't?

Thanks

Last edited:
As far as I know, Akebono's aftermarket division only makes one line of non-performance pads.

The dealer pads (in the front) use the AK NS217H formulation. The rears use the same.

The aftermarket Akebonos use the AK ACT564H formula.

There is not an advantage to using the aftermarket line. Maybe cost, but the dealer pads are cheaper on eBay than the ProAct.

I've used Akebono's aftermarket line before and while it works okay on lighter cars, the pads tend to leave heavy deposits on rotors (which is generally a problem to begin with on Asian cars) and cause premature brake pedal pulsation issues.

The shim kits should be interchangeable because the backing plates have to be the same. Otherwise the pads will not fit. The dealer pads use a stainless shim whereas the aftermarket ones use a coated plastic shim.

+1 I came to the same conclusion when I replaced the front. Pads on my 2010 TL. Oem shim kit was superior to the Pro Act and reusable, Oem pads were cheaper!

I just got another set of Pro-Acts for our Infiniti and they still have the coated metal shims F/R. I never had dust from mine & I run them pretty hard on my Tundra. Also had metal shims fwiw.
Both of our vehicles have aftermarket wheels so I hate dust from pads believe me.
I suspect their Performance pads dust worse since they dont advertise them being low dust formula so I never tried them. Like usual though, if they stop better you get more dust.
Worst pads I used that dusted bad & were short on life span too where Wagner. They stopped worse..lol
I tossed them less than half way through because they were just that bad. Never did that so fast with any other brakes but hated them.
Back in the day Wagner made decent brakes but things sure changed.
Article I saw on a brake website below, idk anything about the website I just remembered this article on Akebono.
They say Akebono pads are well above OEM grade.
If you think about it are OEM tires better than aftermarket offers? How about your OEM oil/filters they offer?
https://www.buybrakes.com/help/akebono-brake-pads-vs-oem-brake-pads/

As far as I know, Akebono's aftermarket division only makes one line of non-performance pads.

The dealer pads (in the front) use the AK NS217H formulation. The rears use the same.

There is not an advantage to using the aftermarket line. Maybe cost, but the dealer pads are cheaper on eBay than the ProAct.

I've used Akebono's aftermarket line before and while it works okay on lighter cars, the pads tend to leave heavy deposits on rotors (which is generally a problem to begin with on Asian cars) and cause premature brake pedal pulsation issues.

The shim kits should be interchangeable because the backing plates have to be the same. Otherwise the pads will not fit. The dealer pads use a stainless shim whereas the aftermarket ones use a coated plastic shim.
Agree. In my experience, the worst pads I ever used for pulsation issues. Smooth and quiet if that's what you are looking for.

If the ProACT costs more than the dealer pads, then they're not worth it. A lot of people like Raybestos EHT pads, which cost much less than either Akebono.

A lot of people like Raybestos EHT pads, which cost much less than either Akebono.
That is what I went with for my Scion xB.
I was debating between the Akebono and the EHT, and decided to try the EHT based on others experience with them, as well as the fact that they were a lot cheaper than the Akebono ($65 for a set of front and rear for EHT, $115 for Akebono, OEM is a bit more Akebono).
I have been very happy with the EHT so far (about 3,500 miles on just a pad slap/caliper lube, 60,000 miles on the stock rotors).
Minimal dusting and stopping is on par with the original pads, maybe a touch better.

The EHT pads will probably be my go to pads from now on.

Last edited:
Last two sets I bought for my Tundra were RockAuto clearance deals. My rears were about $6..lol
Always new in box just marked down to make room for new items.
Bought its shocks like that too. Well I got 3 shocks anyway, had to buy 4th at parts store. It was less than half the cost when done.
I used to work on every ones cars so I shopped there weekly. Back then I'd always check for our cars wear parts before checking out and saved a batch on parts. Find a lot of clearance parts on Ebay too. Both OEM and aftermarket.
With so many store closings over Covid its been absolutely flooded with deals.

I'm surprised the ProACTs get so little love here. I have them on the front and rear of my Ford Expedition EL and I've been pleased with all around (stopping power, smoothness, noise, dust). My last set of Motorcraft pads offered marginally better stopping power, but the bite was less linear.

I avoid Akebono. In my opinion, they ruin rotors with pad deposits leading to early pulsation, poor bite and fade. But- quiet, clean,and smooth. Just not for me

Back