Brake Pad Suggestions

Need rears for my 2010 Acura MDX with 93k mikes. Probably keep it another year or two at most driving 7k mikes per year. Have always used OEM or Akebono ProAct pads. Considering we will soon be parting ways, I wonder if I could save a few bucks. Rock is selling Wagner TQ for half of OEM with stainless hardware. Have heard these are decent. What do you guys think? Should I stay with OEM or Akebono or a less expensive option? Thanks.

Here's what I would do. Choose a several different brands for your vehicle because depending on your ZipCode and the warehouse that the pads are coming from, the shipping cost on each could be different(more or le$$). And use one of these RockAuto discount code that I've provided (5% off) which will help save some of the tax for your state. If you've never order from RA, the discount code is put in the box that says, "How did you hear about us"

FYI. I have had good success with Wagner QS($14.96) for your vehicle, which are even le$$ money than the TQs and both come with hardware.

ROCKAUTO

Feb 9, 2024
------------------------
Feb 16, 2024

Last edited:
My expirence has been that cheap pads typically require the ears to filed down to have a smooth fit without binding.

I'm ok filing them and touching up the paint, some people aren't.

I would buy the Wagner and not think twice.

If the OEM Acura pads worked in the past...Why change. I use OEM Honda Pad kits on my Honda and they work and fit great...no reason to try anything else...

Thx for replies. Yes, I have experience buying from RA. I just read a couple reviews that said Wagner TQ sometimes needed ear grinding and that caliper piston cut through shim plate creating noise. Have to take reviews with a grain of salt these days. Sometimes people order wrong parts and complain they do not fit. Sometimes they are shills.

Checked out the options for your vehicle on RA, Akebono ProAct are pricey relatively speaking. I've always chosen them for my Hondas, and they've served me well. But because of pricing of the Akebono, recently I've also been looking at other options in the future. One I've been looking at, PowerStop Evo Clean Ride Ceramics. Similar price range to Wagner TQ, significantly less than Akebono. That said, Wagner TQ also one I would consider. Iirc, years ago installed a front pad set on an older Tacoma. Worked fine.

Considering vehicle age and your future plan, imo not a bad idea to consider less expensive options.

Wagner brakes aren't bad, but I don't think they're worth any premium over other available options. That said, if they are available for cheap, I wouldn't hesitate to use them!

Need rears for my 2010 Acura MDX with 93k mikes. Probably keep it another year or two at most driving 7k mikes per year. Have always used OEM or Akebono ProAct pads. Considering we will soon be parting ways, I wonder if I could save a few bucks. Rock is selling Wagner TQ for half of OEM with stainless hardware. Have heard these are decent. What do you guys think? Should I stay with OEM or Akebono or a less expensive option? Thanks.
I believe that regardless of plans, brakes, tires, and suspension components should always be of the HIGHEST quality!
Laws of physics do not suddenly change because you want to get rid of the car in a year.

Reactions: hrv
I would be happy with Bosch Blue considering these are the rears and you're getting rid of the car soon. It's not like you're buying pads off AliExpress...

1706895573781.jpg

I agree OE is usually the best bet if they served you well, however the best aftermarket pad I have used is the Raybestos Element EHT pad. They stop like semi-mets, they are silent and virtually no dust whatsoever….. and a nice firm pedal just like a metallic pad.

You have an MDX with 93k and have plans to drive another 14k. I think the big question is when and if you are changing the timing belt. Your choice of OE brakes is great, but that's pennies, not pounds compared to the timing belt.

I installed an Aisin kit 7 years ago at 58k miles. TB along with recommended valve adjustment at 105k miles are factors. Almost 75 in super cramped down sized garage. Not sure I want to DIY those jobs.

You have an MDX with 93k and have plans to drive another 14k. I think the big question is when and if you are changing the timing belt. Your choice of OE brakes is great, but that's pennies, not pounds compared to the timing belt.

Back