Diff noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much noise would be normal? I put the front end up on jack stands to see if I could diagnose some noise. Something I found was a series of clicking in the transaxle before the other wheel moves. I expect some play as it has significant miles, but it is kinda pronounced.

At the moment I either have a bad wheel bearing or bad cv I think. No play in the wheel, no change in sound while cornering. There might be a hair if play in the axles, the take up in the cv joints that is. I do have to pull the axle for a torn boot, but I think the noise maker is on the non torn boot.

Now you know this kind of question may not get a serious response, just saying....does your noise maker sound like this....

With the amount of rust and miles on that car, I'd run it into the ground as you don't have much to lose anymore.

It actually not that bad underneath.

qyyd0j.jpg

o8tn5l.jpg

Well, I took video of it, put onto Google plus, but cannot figure out how to put onto YouTube.

Well, you should check, yours might be affected by the same recall. Don't remember now. Chunk of noise reduction foam in the upper fender, turns into a moisture trap, takes out the fender eventually. TDi issue, the gasser slack the foam.

Well, maybe not for those in AZ I guess...

I checked VW's website and ran the VIN and it says no open recalls on it, although there was a few recall repairs done to it, some kind of oil leak, an airbag sensor, and it got new glow plugs under recall too.

I think the fenders would have a hard time rusting... They're plastic LOL

Although on recalls.gov our cars are recalled for a leaky fuel pump but it won't come up with the VIN. I hope it's under recall, I had some work done at the dealer a month and a half ago and the service guy said the fuel pump is kinda sorta starting to seep. Was about $1,000 to have done there.

Originally Posted By: supton
Mine has been weeping for a couple of years.
Just got back from the dealer to see if it was ever done and it was done under recall in 2005, and it is oily on the outside but they said it's not leaking diesel fuel. Was told if there were signs of diesel fuel on this replacement part, they would replace it at no charge, that recalled parts have a lifetime warranty (at least this does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back